• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird advice?

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Hello everyone!

So I finally managed to convince my husband to get one more birdie :D We’ll be going to different breeders next week and here in Dubai most breeders usually have a selection of species.

I started this thread because I’m considering several species, but not sure which one would be the right one for us.
The species I thought about: Quacker parrot, caique, another IRN (but different color mutation), GCC, pionus(not sure I can find it in Dubai), galah, yellow crown amazon.

We live in an apartment, but noise is not much of an issue, unless it’s never ending screaming behavior. This is the reason I’m hesitant about getting another IRN, because I think Zazu and new bird would be flock calling and conversing all day long, this is when I think my neighbors would start having issues with the noise. So far I haven’t gotten any complaints considering Zazu does scream and “sing” sometimes.
I’m able to spend at least 3-4 hours a day with my bird (out of the cage) and longer on weekends as I tend to stay home.
I can handle nippiness and willing to work with the bird.
I can provide proper cage, toys, quality food and vet visits when required (including regular checkups).
when the weather is not that hot (from October to march) I could take the birds to covered areas for them to exercise, summer season they can fly around the apartment as I’m not planning to clip the wings (i know that it’s not enough exercise but better than none).

What I would like from the bird: i know that all bird have individual personalities, but believe that species have specific traits. Since I have a potato couch Walad (cockatiel) and playful independent boy (Zazu) who is now bonding more to my husband (I believe because i’m his “mom” who handfed him and he’s past the age when he needs his mom around). If Walad is too quiet and sits on one spot most of the day, Zazu on the opposite side is excessively active and never sits on one place except for napping. If it makes sense I’d want a bird who will be playful and doesn’t mind independence time, but at the same time would want to spend time with me.
Also, another concern would be Zazu not getting along with the new bird (he’s feisty). I know that this again could be individual to that particular bird, he might get along and he might not, but which species can theoretically impose a danger?
Also I’d like to mention i’m not planning to get a baby as small as Zazu was, who needs to be handfed full time. I’ll be looking at birds 3 months and older, who are either partially or fully weaned.
Sorry for the long thread, can’t wait to hear suggestions. I’m really excited about a new addition to my mini flock!

Last edited:

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Also, I’d love to get a rescue, but unfortunately here in Dubai it’s not a thing, there are no aviaries or sanctuaries where you could adopt a rescued birds.
it’s either from a pet shop, breeder or previous owner who charges even more than shops and breeders.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No advice about the type of bird you should get but I just want to remind you about the health issues for new world birds being housed with or in close proximity to old world birds.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
No advice about the type of bird you should get but I just want to remind you about the health issues for new world birds being housed with or in close proximity to old world birds.
Thanks for the point! I was not aware that could be an issue and I’m not really good at differentiating new world birds and old world birds. So Zazu and Walad are old world birds? Then the best choice would be a bird from the same region?

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Is there a thread or article I could read about this issue? I’m really glad I created this thread before getting a new bird

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
This might be helpful :)

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Alright, so after researching on new/old world parrots, my options now are down to: IRN, Galah, alexandrine, mustached parakeet, derbyan parakeet

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Are galahs not old world then? I thought they would be alongside 'tiels?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Galahs are old world birds same as tiels.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
So I'm going to check out couple of breeders today and hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for. Really excited.

I decided to go with the flow and let the bird "choose" me, hopefully it'll happen :D

Otherwise if I don't find a match, I'll just wait until one comes around.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
So I'm going to check out couple of breeders today and hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for. Really excited.

I decided to go with the flow and let the bird "choose" me, hopefully it'll happen :D

Otherwise if I don't find a match, I'll just wait until one comes around.
Think its best to get another astatic bird like a ringneck, Alexander or derbyan and mustache as they all share the same body language so more likely to get along.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Even though galahs are lovely cuddly birds they are my dream bird I want to own one day.