• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird advice? :)

Newbie1000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Edina
I like to offer veggies in the morning. I will remove dry food bowls and put in the fresh breakfast. Leave for 15-20 minutes. If they don´t eat, swap the bowls back. Do this daily.
Offering variety is good. So, different veggies, presented in different ways. Maybe mashed, or processed, or chopped finely, or chopped in chunks. Some like large pieces on skewers.
A good tip is to sprinkle with millet or quinoa. I also like to bury one or two sunflower seeds in there for my picky eaters.

You may end up wasting a lot, so only offer a couple of teaspoons worth of veggies until he starts eating them.

You can also sit and eat next to the cage. Sit and eat some veggies, then offer it to him.

This is a great link: My Chop "Recipe"
Lot´s of help with whch foods to use, and how to store it when you make bulk, and also more tips :)
Thank you so so so so sooo much!!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've been trying for a long time to get my lovebird to eat fresh vegetables but she's such a fuss bucket, so don't feel like it's your fault if it takes awhile. I should try first thing in the morning again as everyone says that's the way to go. I just struggle with any morning routine change. I'm not what they call a "morning person" :wacky:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Newbie1000 Have a read about sprouting, it´s pretty easy to do and a lot of seed eaters will go for it. Brians picture just reminded me :)
If you don´t know what to sprout, you can try ready made mixes.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
All you need is a jar or even just a glass. I used to use cheesecloth on top.

Newbie1000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Edina
Hey everyone!! I wanted to give a quick update on Mango! I’m trying all the fruit/veggie advice day by day but I wanted to show everyone Mango’s new home!

I originally was nervous to have him in the new cage on day 1 of receiving it because I’ve done research on how to allow your bird to adapt to a new home so that they’re not stressed out but Mango took right to it. I let him out of his small cage, right next to the big one and the first thing he did was start exploring!! I let him do his thing while I put fresh seed mix and water in the new cage and after going in and out for a while he stayed in and decided he was just gonna chill out.
All of a sudden Mango was bobbing his head up and down and talking to me a lot, making cute whistles too! He seems to be really enjoying his new house with all his favorite toys in it (since they can all fit in here). I do plan on getting more toys soon to add and keep when I need to replace/clean the ones in there.

I just wanted to reach out and say thank you so much to everyone of you that commented and helped me with all my questions! I really do appreciate all of it!

P.s. yesterday I let mango out of his cage while I watched TV and he flew onto my bed and slowly walked closer to me!! I thought my heart was gonna leap out of my chest with excitement but I played it cool and didn’t move and just let him check me out and see he can trust me. He did try to nibble on my leg, though lol!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
and after going in and out for a while he stayed in and decided he was just gonna chill out.
:lol: Of course he did! Smart bird ;)

I LOVE the new cage! Such a good cage for a lovie :bliss:

I do plan on getting more toys soon to add and keep when I need to replace/clean the ones in there.
In time I´m sure you will have your cage set up perfect :) I find the change in toys etc is more spooky for the birds than cage change (just my experience).

P.s. yesterday I let mango out of his cage while I watched TV and he flew onto my bed and slowly walked closer to me!! I thought my heart was gonna leap out of my chest with excitement but I played it cool and didn’t move and just let him check me out and see he can trust me. He did try to nibble on my leg, though lol!
Next time he´s out and about, keep millet handy so you can have it near you. Start by just having it placed on the sofa/table near you. As he gets comfortable, lay it down but hold one end.... then start putting it on your flat hand, flush with the sofa/table... little by little :)

He´s definitely been plucking, if you get upset about it or want to talk, you can inbox me :)

Newbie1000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Edina
:lol: Of course he did! Smart bird ;)

I LOVE the new cage! Such a good cage for a lovie :bliss:

In time I´m sure you will have your cage set up perfect :) I find the change in toys etc is more spooky for the birds than cage change (just my experience).

Next time he´s out and about, keep millet handy so you can have it near you. Start by just having it placed on the sofa/table near you. As he gets comfortable, lay it down but hold one end.... then start putting it on your flat hand, flush with the sofa/table... little by little :)

He´s definitely been plucking, if you get upset about it or want to talk, you can inbox me :)
I actually just got some millet!! Can’t wait! And yeah unfortunately I’ve noticed he’s definitely plucking and it sucks. I feel bad when I see him do it because I can’t just be like “hey don’t do that.” At times he seems a bit obsessed with it :( thank you though!!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Mango is such a cutie :loveshower:

Congrats! And thank you for researching, asking questions and doing all you can to give him a good home. I have a feeling the 2 of you are gonna be great friends in no time!

And since I’m just now seeing this thread...
:grpwelcome:

Newbie1000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Edina
Mango is such a cutie :loveshower:

Congrats! And thank you for researching, asking questions and doing all you can to give him a good home. I have a feeling the 2 of you are gonna be great friends in no time!

And since I’m just now seeing this thread...
:grpwelcome:
Thank you!! Super glad I made the decision to join Avian Avenue :)

Newbie1000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Edina
Another new update:
For the first time ever, Mango has been eating from my hands! Usually when I put food between the bars of the cage he wants nothing to do with it and usually runs to the other side. I held some millet out for him and called him over and he actually hopped over to me and munched on it while I held it for him! He also looked at me like “that’s it?? I need more!” :laughing2: I had to share because I’m so excited! Hopefully tomorrow I will let him fly around my room again and try giving him treats and having him eat from my hand like @Zara suggested :) can’t wait to update you guys again!

Newbie1000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Edina
Another new update:
For the first time ever, Mango has been eating from my hands! Usually when I put food between the bars of the cage he wants nothing to do with it and usually runs to the other side. I held some millet out for him and called him over and he actually hopped over to me and munched on it while I held it for him! He also looked at me like “that’s it?? I need more!” :laughing2: I had to share because I’m so excited! Hopefully tomorrow I will let him fly around my room again and try giving him treats and having him eat from my hand like @Zara suggested :) can’t wait to update you guys again!
Oh and he’s been noticeably plucking his feathers less today! He doesn’t seem as obsessed with it, he’s more just relaxing now on his swing making cute little noises. I’m so so soooo excited about all his progress! Also still in the process of looking for a vet for him and getting him a little travel carrier :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Congratulations on the progress! Hopefully he'll stop plucking now that he's being provided enrichment. I know nothing about plucking (fortunately) but it can be a battle for some birds. I'm sure the vet will have advice on how to try to redirect his attention.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like you're making excellent progress!

Like most new cages, Mango's new home has come with dowel perches. These aren't very good for birds' feet because they're too uniform - birds need the irregularity of natural branches to keep their feet healthy, let them move to more comfortable positions and avoid putting pressure on the same part of the foot all the time. I would recommend getting some natural wood perches of different diameters so that Mango has some perching options. I would also suggest a flat platform perch, again just to give him more of a choice about where to hang out.

If you're in the US, @Macawnutz has some nice full-length perches: Parrot Perches from Seriously Nutz! Large Bird Perches, Custom Sizes