• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New bird advice? :)

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Does sound like it was too much too soon for him. It’s great that you’ve realized it, and also got your family on board with giving him some space.
From here on out, just try to make all human interactions with him positive ones. Give treats when he does get close- if he won’t let you get close just drop it in his bowl but make sure he sees that the treat came from you ;)

There’s tons of training info on this forum, I honestly don’t know if I’d have the relationship I have with my sweet babies today if it wasn’t for the educated, wonderful AA members!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He will take treats that I’m holding for him but I haven’t tried putting them in my palm yet, that’s a step for the near future (when I’m not a scared chicken that he’ll bite me lol)
Do you have millet on the sprig? (spray millet) This is great to use. Start by offering the sprig whole,
IMG_20191223_115957.jpg
hold the stick, and let your bird eat from wherever he feels comfortable. Do this every day a few times. Once he is comfortable, start shortening the sprig by cutting the tip off.
IMG_20191223_120132.jpg
Still hold the stick and let him eat. Keep going and over time you will end up with just a little clump of millet almost next to your fingers.
IMG_20191223_120216.jpg
Once he is comfortable close to your fingers, then hold the stick, and rest the millet on the flat palm of your (other) hand, keep your open hand still, you should have better success with this by putting your open hand on a table top.
IMG_20191223_120323.jpg (still hold the stick with other hand)
Again, same thing, doing this multiple times a day, every day, once he is stepping on your hand to eat the millet, start pulling off the little clusters (they a re little balls) and putting one on your open hand,
IMG_20191223_120340.jpg
now you are only using one hand as you are not holding the stick anymore. Same thing, keep your open hand still. Once the confidence builds you will be able to walk around with your bird in your hand eating his treat :)
When you get to the point of putting treats on the flat of your hand, you can introduce a different treat if you like.

Remember, to shorten the millet spray slowly over time, the photos are only snippets, really you woulc cut it down about an inch a time. Be patient (I know you already know that), this could take a month or it could take a year.
Sorry if that seems rambly, if you would like more pictures just ask and I can take some :)

Newbie1000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Edina
Do you have millet on the sprig? (spray millet) This is great to use. Start by offering the sprig whole,
View attachment 323903
hold the stick, and let your bird eat from wherever he feels comfortable. Do this every day a few times. Once he is comfortable, start shortening the sprig by cutting the tip off.
View attachment 323902
Still hold the stick and let him eat. Keep going and over time you will end up with just a little clump of millet almost next to your fingers.
View attachment 323901
Once he is comfortable close to your fingers, then hold the stick, and rest the millet on the flat palm of your (other) hand, keep your open hand still, you should have better success with this by putting your open hand on a table top.
View attachment 323900 (still hold the stick with other hand)
Again, same thing, doing this multiple times a day, every day, once he is stepping on your hand to eat the millet, start pulling off the little clusters (they a re little balls) and putting one on your open hand,
View attachment 323904
now you are only using one hand as you are not holding the stick anymore. Same thing, keep your open hand still. Once the confidence builds you will be able to walk around with your bird in your hand eating his treat :)
When you get to the point of putting treats on the flat of your hand, you can introduce a different treat if you like.

Remember, to shorten the millet spray slowly over time, the photos are only snippets, really you woulc cut it down about an inch a time. Be patient (I know you already know that), this could take a month or it could take a year.
Sorry if that seems rambly, if you would like more pictures just ask and I can take some :)
Thanks!! I do have millet spray but I’ve been using it wrong obviously! I’ve been pulling off the little balls and holding them between my fingers to feed him. He actually doesn’t mind that but this will be a much better way to get him to trust our hands! He really really hates fingers/hands and I honestly think it’s because the previous owner put gloves on and just grabbed him thinking it would show him she wouldn’t hurt him but that’s so traumatizing!! I can’t blame the poor guy for not trusting us and especially not trusting hands!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but I’ve been using it wrong obviously!
Don't worry, there is no right or wrong.
It is just a case of trying many techniques and going with what works. There will always be a bird that something won't work with :)