• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New BH baby

cgonzalez577

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys!
Some of you will remember that I had posted a couple of months ago looking for the Practial Pionus as I was due to bring home a veryyyyyyyyy shy and not well adjusted BH. I got a call from the shop a few days before I was due to take him home that he suddenly lost 15 grams overnight and was vomiting. They rushed him to the ER but he passed the next day . Necropsy showed a huge spleen but every other test including comprehensive viral panel and cultures have been negative. I had a new cage, perches, bowls, play stand ready and was sad but accepted that maybe it wasn't meant to be. The same night I got the news a lady posted that she had just acquired a baby BH from a breeder that needed to be hand fed and weaned but the breeder didnt want to invest the time on the last chick. So she took it home and loved on it with the intention or rehoming. I met the baby, fell in love and told her I'd take it when it was ready. Today I got to pick up my new baby and let me tell you....so sweet, so confident, so amazing. I'm absolutely in love! DNA should be back in a few days and I'll pick a name then!

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm so sorry the first baby didn't make it, but I'm very glad this little cutie got to come home with you! :heart2: That snuggly picture is too much! :swoon:

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Absolutely precious! Enjoy the baby days...they fly by. :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So sorry about the first baby.

But that precious little baby you brought home is adorable. Reminds me of Andre when he first came home.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So sorry that your baby didn’t make it. I’m so glad you found your feathered companion, and such a cutie too ! Congratulations :starshower1:

cgonzalez577

Meeting neighbors
I honestly think it was meant to be this way. I can't imagine how heartbroken and guilty I would have been if he had passed in my care. Every time I visited him I left more uneasy than the time before because he was becoming less and less tame in spite of being worked with but I was committed. Had I not had my mind in the place to bring home a new flock member I would have missed out on this little ray of sunshine and would have never responded to her ad. I got lucky and got to bring home the one meant for me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss.

Congrats on your new bird. He's very cute.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry about the first baby :(

Congratulations on your new baby :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Reminds me of all the birds I got emotionally close to in ads that were suddenly unavailable...So many missed for one reason of the other & some of them based on unfair circumstances..
So I found an adult...my Rio...a stubborn who would not step up & still won;t but I accept him for whom he is or is not...
One was a juvenile who I learned later just died not long after from unknown cause. I also just missed his sibling so who knows how healthy that one was.

As much as my heart was broken not to have that young crimson conure & then miss his sibling as she would not accept paypal from me & wanted a money order & then went ahead & accepted paypal from another so that was it...
Sometimes the one that is meant for us will find us & it will become clear what we wanted before was just not meant to be. I would have been devastated if that young bird died in my care so I was sad for him but just so relieved his owner changed his mind & decided to keep him even if it was not for long...

Then Penny needed a home a bird I have never even considered but fell in love with immediately...It was like she was being taken care of for 21 years until she found her way to me... :angel2:

Happened with a bronze wing before Penny also so I really have had my share of loss...I held out to put a deposit on a baby thinking I could come home from the hospital after cancer surgery & put up a cage & take care of a 5 month old but I had to come to reality & know if was just not a good idea...OOOH there would be another baby she said but alas she has sold her pair & I really wanted a well adjusted well raised baby & bronze wings are not that easy to find.
Still I have Penny now & who knows what the baby would have been like. It may have not been my dream bird but that's just the way it went so we have to just go on...& see what the future holds...

cgonzalez577

Meeting neighbors
Update on baby Fawkes! She is DNA confirmed female which is what was suspected. She COMPLETELY regressed after this post and basically became largely unweaned lol. Once she started to lose weight I started her back on formula 2x a day which has been a learning curve. I've never hand fed and never intended to but that's ok! She's slowlyyyyy becoming interested in eating larger quantities of other stuff and until I get her weaned completely I'll keep her on what she was started on, even though I don't care for it and I'll change her diet for the better later. She had a checkup with the avian vet yesterday who found some yeast in her crop and said she had a white count of 19k. He isn't sure if these findings are necessarily pathologic but given the weaning difficulties and me apparently not hand feeding correctly (too much at once) and her stressful move he started her on diflucan. He thinks she may be younger than 17 weeks due to the large quantity of retained baby behavior but isn't sure. Initially before I started to feed her the crying and begging was awful and I didn't know what to do. It has been much more difficult than I expected and I had been pulling my hair out with worry that I'm not doing everything right. I think the stress of that first 4 or 5 days impacted our relationship which has started to improve in the last couple of days. She will allow scritches now and seeks out my shoulder to nap. I've become much more calm and once I decided to just go with it, feed her when she's hungry, encourage her to try other food and love on her when she wants it got better. Sorry this was long but it felt good to get it out there! My fiance wants to be helpful but he doesn't really understand so it's hard to talk to him about her/the birds. Thanks guys!

Attachments

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Sounds really stressful, but I'm glad things are improving!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats to your adorable girl! ❤
Great that you did get her to vet ( and weigh her) and early found that yeast.
I also think she is younger then 17 weeks. I have had 3 baby Pi's, and all was weaned on 12 weeks. And none regressed.
I thought that was a little bit sad because to comfort feeding them would have been a great start for us to be friends.
One of the Pi's I have have been force feeding too, so she will never take food from a syringe again.

cgonzalez577

Meeting neighbors
Congrats to your adorable girl! ❤
Great that you did get her to vet ( and weigh her) and early found that yeast.
I also think she is younger then 17 weeks. I have had 3 baby Pi's, and all was weaned on 12 weeks. And none regressed.
I thought that was a little bit sad because to comfort feeding them would have been a great start for us to be friends.
One of the Pi's I have have been force feeding too, so she will never take food from a syringe again.
I think part of the issue is that she may be younger but also that she was clipped by the breeder (not the person who handfed until I got her) before she fledged so she's clumsy and more reliant on humans. Thank god she wasn't my first bird because I would have been out of my depth! I knew to keep track of her weight from routine weighing of my conure or I might have let it go too long before realizing her crying meant hunger. Everyday is different....the day after the vet she refused feeds, yesterday she wanted to eat twice and today once. Today I made fresh chop and she ate a decent amount but even that changes daily lol. She's so good and allows me to handle her and give her the nasty medicine. I know we'll eventually get there!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The best part of the second pic is that approximately 4 seconds after it was taken a very large, very warm poop went sliding down my hoodie
Lol.....that means the lil' baby likes you!! Ohhh, you know.... " I'm sooooo happy I could poop!! "

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She's so good and allows me to handle her and give her the nasty medicine. I know we'll eventually get there!
That is how female Pi's are. Just enjoy her. You will never have a sweeter bird ever! :)