• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New behaviour

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Hi, Minty is doing good, talking a lot and has copied Birdys sounds perfectly. But he has the habit of biting my ears viciously. It really hurts, sometimes he all suddenly attacks my fingers with angry noises. How can I curb that? I've been taking him off my shoulder and telling him "no bite" but that doesn't seem to be working. He kinda has this stand offish attitude going on. Super hard to get out of his cage, he refuses to step up when inside, but when returning he puts up a fight and quickly tries to get out. Could this be like a teenager thing?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You should probably stop allowing him to be on your shoulder for a while if he is biting you. As for coming out of the cage, try letting him come out on his own. Open the cage door, and wait for him to come out.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you don't have to, don't force him to do things, as Matt mentioned.

If you want to gain his trust, learn to earn his trust through positive interactions. Try feeding him millet by hand. Allow him to come out of his cage on his own. If he's on your shoulder, try to make sure he's got some toys to distract him and only keep him with you for a *short* time... i.e 5-15 minutes. If he goes after your ears, neck or face, definitely don't allow him on you.