• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New behavior

BirdView

Strolling the yard
I have a question about a new behaviour I noticed Echo is doing recently. He flies to me and lands on my shoulder then starts trembling. The first time it happened I thought it was a seizure but now I am thinking it is likely a hormonal behavior although I have never seen anything like this before. Has anyone noticed a similar behaviour with their amazon?

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I don't own an amazon so I am not sure. I'll tag @Clueless to give you a hand! :)

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How old is Echo, also which type of Amazon do you have?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It could be, my Amazon squats a bit and will tremble and make sounds when he's in a hormonal state.
Without a little more info though, it's hard to say if that is what your bird is doing.
Tell us age of bird.
How long you've had him?
Does he do this any other times?
Is he comfortable with you and used to being handled?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, sounds very much as a hormonal behavior. I call it clucky haha when they get this way.

I discourage any behavior of this nature by leaving them alone to cool their jets and redirect it to their normal activities. It passes quite fast if you walk away, etc.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Clucky, what an appropriate term!! Inca is being clucky recently.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
Echo is a 15 month old double yellow amazon. I had him since he was 6 weeks old and hand-fed him myself. He is very smart (sometimes outsmart me). I mentioned before that I often lure him with a treat to get him back to his cage, but if he does not want to go back and wants the treat at the same time, he will pretend that everything is okay while I am taking him back and just before reaching the cage he will grab the treat fly away really fast. Same thing if I don't allow him on my shoulder he will just watch me until both of my hands are occupied and then fly there anyway. Sometimes I wonder who's training who :)

I think @macawpower58 description is close to the behavior I am observing. When it happens Echo's wings twitch and he makes makes some sounds (similar to baby sounds but not the same). I didn't notice any squat. He only does this on my shoulder, not on my hand, not anywhere else.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Odd. I've noticed Secret shakes sometimes but I never associated it with hormones.

I'll pay attention to this and see when Secret shakes.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
I was able to capture this clip today. He was on my shoulder when he started shaking. I put him down but he kept flying back to me. So, I put him on a travel cage and stood next to him. When I felt he was going to fly to me I stepped forward and extended my hand to discourage him from flying. It took a while but finally he calmed down and I was able to take him back to his cage.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
That looks like a hormonal green chicken.

For some birds, shoulder time encourages that kind of behaviour.