• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New behavior, what does it mean?

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
So Skittles has been pretty hormonal lately I think. He keeps displaying his wings for me and when I hold him he tries regurgitating motions and sometimes he actually gets worked up enough to try rubbing himself on me. When he acts like this I just return him to his cage top. But lately he has been fluttering to the floor and when I pick him up to return him to his cage he bites me pretty viciously. It hurts so bad and pierces skin. I have started to just be more hands off with him since he is so bitey but still allow him out of his cage. I just keep hoping to not have to pick him up.Today he is showing a new behavior he is crouching while fluffing up occasionally. I took a pic. What does this mean? And any advice on handling. I already tried a small T perch, he is terrified of it so far.

Attachments

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
That posture indicates extreme excitement and can also be viewed as a warning to back off.

Can you use a T-stick with him?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Have you got anything else that he is already familiar with, to pick him up? Like a multi-stem perch that he's used to in his cage (that's what I taught my then untame Amazon to step up on), or folded rope perch (that's what I ask Kobe the Pionus to step up on), or basket handle, or cushion, or the top of a travel cage, etc?

Think about the consequence of your actions too... if you go up to him, pick him up and put him straight back into his cage, it sounds like it is not reinforcing to him, when he would rather be out on the floor. I would wait until he is calmer/more receptive before picking him up. Then when you put him in his cage, make it wonderfully reinforcing so that he'll more likely choose to do what you ask next time.... have a new toy waiting in there for him, a fresh food bowl, loads of praise or even a treat if he would take it... whatever is reinforcing for him, the individual.

Right now, he has learned that if he bites, your hand goes away. Trouble is the longer he bites in that scenario the behaviour is becoming more ingrained. So see what you can do to diffuse the situation first before picking him up. Maybe ignore him until he is calmer.

It would be good when he's relaxed and receptive to start teaching him to step up on a perch of some sort for times like this. With Kobe I used to ask him to step up on the folded rope perch each time I took him out of his nightcage. I chose a rope perch as he was used to them in both his cages. Reinforcement was coming out of the cage in the morning. We did it so often that he doesn't question it now. But you may have to desensitize your bird to the perch (getting him gradually used to the sight of it) before teaching him to step up onto it in tiny manageable steps.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
With our U2, he was biting my husband. So the behaviorist said for him to stop touching him. If he doesn't want to be handled, don't handle him. BUT that means that he'll need to step up onto some sort of perch. Once he gets the hang of that, ask him to step up randomly, not just when it's time to go back in the cage.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I already tried a small T perch, he is terrified of it so far.
Of course he doesn't like it. Even if you don't use it immediately, keep that thing with you at all times when interacting with him so he gets lots of exposure to it and desensitizes. Within a week (or so) he'll be on it. Then you will have the tool going forward.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
That posture indicates extreme excitement and can also be viewed as a warning to back off.

Sorry, I missed the part stating that you had already used a T-stick with him. I hope you can find something to help with picking him up.

Hammons

Meeting neighbors

I got him a T stick but he is terrified of any stick so I have been letting him him stand on a soft blanket to transport him. Not restraining, just sitting on it.

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
Have you got anything else that he is already familiar with, to pick him up? Like a multi-stem perch that he's used to in his cage (that's what I taught my then untame Amazon to step up on), or folded rope perch (that's what I ask Kobe the Pionus to step up on), or basket handle, or cushion, or the top of a travel cage, etc?

Think about the consequence of your actions too... if you go up to him, pick him up and put him straight back into his cage, it sounds like it is not reinforcing to him, when he would rather be out on the floor. I would wait until he is calmer/more receptive before picking him up. Then when you put him in his cage, make it wonderfully reinforcing so that he'll more likely choose to do what you ask next time.... have a new toy waiting in there for him, a fresh food bowl, loads of praise or even a treat if he would take it... whatever is reinforcing for him, the individual.

Right now, he has learned that if he bites, your hand goes away. Trouble is the longer he bites in that scenario the behaviour is becoming more ingrained. So see what you can do to diffuse the situation first before picking him up. Maybe ignore him until he is calmer.

It would be good when he's relaxed and receptive to start teaching him to step up on a perch of some sort for times like this. With Kobe I used to ask him to step up on the folded rope perch each time I took him out of his nightcage. I chose a rope perch as he was used to them in both his cages. Reinforcement was coming out of the cage in the morning. We did it so often that he doesn't question it now. But you may have to desensitize your bird to the perch (getting him gradually used to the sight of it) before teaching him to step up onto it in tiny manageable steps.
I use a soft blanket to move him now. I have placed the T stand on a table he likes and at first he avoided it but now he is chewing it so I guess that’s good. He still flees if I try to get him to step up on it. I give him a treat for being calm now. And if I can transport him with no biting. He ignores toys unless he is locked cage for a while. He prefers to sit on cage top or on door or near me on table. Yes maybe he actually wants on floor, I thought it was accidental. I will allow him to calm down before picking up.

Last edited:

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
Of course he doesn't like it. Even if you don't use it immediately, keep that thing with you at all times when interacting with him so he gets lots of exposure to it and desensitizes. Within a week (or so) he'll be on it. Then you will have the tool going forward.
Yes I placed it on his favorite spot and now he chews on it. I am hoping the more he interacts with it the less threatening it will be.

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
Today he is letting me pet his head and preen pin feathers. So he forgives me lol. He even sat on my lap on a blanket. But I still don’t offer my hand for step up yet. He does like me but I guess in the past he had bad experience. It is weird because at the store he let me hold him, pet him, kiss his head, etc. and he didnt let anyone else do that. He still likes to show his wings to me and act like he wants to regurgitate. I just don’t touch him when he is doing all that so I don’t encourage it. I don’t kiss his head anymore either because the last time I tried he bit my lip.But then if he is sitting close to me he says the word “kisses” lol. Mixed messages. He likes to be out of his cage or he makes these loud beeps. I play soft calming music for the birds during the day to calm him also.

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
Update on Skittles: He now willingly steps up on the T stand for transport from floor to safer places. He still likes to sit on my knee and receive head scratches. And I gave him a new toy to chew on while out of the cage to lessen his chewing on furniture. He still does it but it is better. I have not been bitten since I don’t have him stepping up on my hand, and he loves to just hang out near or on me. Don’t know if I trust him on my shoulder yet which he sometimes likes to climb up there. But it is getting better.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Update on Skittles: He now willingly steps up on the T stand for transport from floor to safer places. He still likes to sit on my knee and receive head scratches. And I gave him a new toy to chew on while out of the cage to lessen his chewing on furniture. He still does it but it is better. I have not been bitten since I don’t have him stepping up on my hand, and he loves to just hang out near or on me. Don’t know if I trust him on my shoulder yet which he sometimes likes to climb up there. But it is getting better.
Outstanding.