• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

new baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

agartin21

Sitting on the front steps
hey all! i just have a quick question for those experienced birdie people! this weekend i am going to get my new blue crown conure. she/he will be 15.5 weeks old. he will be eating on his own and considered weaned. the breeder said for the first 2 weeks i should offer a comfort feed 1 or 2 times a day. she did say the bird is eating weaning pellots and fresh fruit and veggies very well. my question is should i even offer the formula? or should i just see if he cries for it? the breeder thought maybe he would adjust better if i did offer formula, but WDYT? thanks!!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not know but I would go ahead and offer the formula

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
i would do it i even do it for pippin my 13 year old mini macaw lots of people do it to somtimes it helps to comfert the baby in its new home whare its scared i is woundering whare his breeder is (or mommy in there eyes)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
My hahns macaw regressed when he came home and I fed him running oatmeal by spoon every evening before he went to bed for a couple of weeks.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All of my Hahn's regressed when they came home (I've had three). In the case of the first two, I offered warm cooked sweet potato, pasta, oatmeal. In the case of the last one, I offered warm formula, and IMO that's the best approach. If I ever did it again, that's what I would do.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'd offer formula, steamed heated veggies, oatmeal mash (heated), etc. :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I'd offer formula, steamed heated veggies, oatmeal mash (heated), etc. :)
Weaning pellets can be moistened and warmed and then offered by hand. If you use oatmeal check for iron content. Many oatmeal brands are fortified with iron. I try to stay away from too much. Formula is good and in transition new ones will take the formula off of a spoon rather than syrninge feeding.

Here is an article my friend wrote for her vet. Hope it helps you some.

Peggy

Weaning Baby parrots

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
for our own version of formula since our bird is technically weaned but still getting a comfort feeding at night, I just grind up zupreem natural pellets and add warm water and feed by spoon. That way he gets the nutrition and it satisfies his need for a comfort feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.