• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby to the family, questions, names etc. Birthmark? Brown Headed parro

Lynsey

Sitting on the front steps
So I bought this baby Brown Headed Parrot. I'm already in love. He/she was born 12/15 so not quite ready to come home yet. Still on one feeding a day, but eating pellets and fruit etc. Hopefully soon. Getting DNA sexed, should have results in the next week or so. It's so sweet and calm. The other sibling is a bit skittish and not as calm. It was love at first sight. I have a White Capped Pionus that I got from the same place about 8 years ago. So the Pi will have a buddy...hopefully. Anyway, looking for names?!? They are calling it Cheeks, or Cheeky you can see why from the pic. Gonna do a vet visit right away when the baby comes home, but should I be worried that the yellow cheek is something related to liver? or just a cute birthmark? hope it stays, but will love it either way. I don't think this looks like anything liver especially at this age, but just being paranoid.

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Welcome to the Avenue and congratulations on your new baby! He/she looks like an absolute sweetheart! :heart:

Ducci

Real Name
Stefani
congratulations! May I ask where this is? I’ve been in search for a brown head!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

cookiesmom

Meeting neighbors
looks adorable!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Monica ?

I'm not sure what would cause the yellowing! Liver isn't usually localized the the face like that I wouldn't think. Could be those follicles were injured at some point during development?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think that bird is too young for a liver issue. The marking is not symmetrical, so it's not coloration. The jury is out until the bird molts.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Ducci asked where you got the bird, as they are interested in one.

Lynsey

congratulations! May I ask where this is? I’ve been in search for a brown head!
I am in San Diego. This is at Our Feathered Friends. They do have a sibling for sale too. They don't ship though.

Lynsey

I think that bird is too young for a liver issue. The marking is not symmetrical, so it's not coloration. The jury is out until the bird molts.
Yeah who knows, it might go away with a molt, but I think it's cute anyway. I sorta hope it stays. I did see an article about them having a rare mutation/or cross species that can cause this. Maybe with a meyers a long time ago. Time will tell. Just was a healthy buddy.

Ducci

Real Name
Stefani
I am in San Diego. This is at Our Feathered Friends. They do have a sibling for sale too. They don't ship though.
I’m from San Diego! I’ve been there many times. Thank you.

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
I've found that a lot of young poicephalus parrots get random bits of yellow coloration on their bodies, they usually disappear with age. Here's a picture of some on a pair of baby ruppell's parrots, though I've seen this on sennies and meyer's as well >> Ruppell's parrot-Yellow.jpg

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s really neat!

Lynsey

I put a deposit down for the sibling! So excited!!!!
OMG We might run into each other in person visiting our babies. Haha. I did a DNA test so hopefully I find out this week. It was a tough choice, your baby is so cute too. So funny that we are on this forum at the same place. I have held and pet your baby too! And they updated quickly, already says sold on their site! Did you DNA sex yours too? I think yours is a boy...just a guess. I got a 50/50 chance. Did you see mine? Any guesses?

Last edited:

Ducci

Real Name
Stefani
OMG We might run into each other in person visiting our babies. Haha. I did a DNA test so hopefully I find out this week. It was a tough choice, your baby is so cute too. So funny that we are on this forum at the same place. I have held and pet your baby too! And they updated quickly, already says sold on their site! Did you DNA sex yours too? I think yours is a boy...just a guess. I got a 50/50 chance. Did you see mine? Any guesses?
I haven’t gotten a chance to go see him/her yet. I’m in Chicago currently till summer, so I’m going to fly in to pick up my baby when he/she’s weened. Not ideal at all, but I’ve been searching for a brown headed parrot for a while. When I called they told me they only get one clutch a year. So I had to put a deposit down right then . I wonder if they will let you hold my baby too?! Get him/her more relaxed and social…. Soo exciting for both of us!

Ducci

Real Name
Stefani
You’ll have to let me know how my baby is doing when you see yours :D i did order a dna as well. I am hopping for a female, but I’ll be happy with either. your baby is on the right, mine of the left.

Attachments

Lynsey

You’ll have to let me know how my baby is doing when you see yours :D i did order a dna as well. I am hopping for a female, but I’ll be happy with either. your baby is on the right, mine of the left.
OMG, I am sure they will let me hold your baby, especially if I have your real name. Not sure how to send a message here. Otherwise you can send me a message on IG fonzie_birb. I still think they let people handle them even after they are sold. Which is a good thing I think. They make you sanitize your hands before you handle any of them. They are so cute together. Once when I visited they were both rolling around with a wooden wicker looking ball. The last time they had fresh fruit and were literally dropping in on each others head and then eating it off other each other. It was so cute. They are buddies for sure. I hope they won't be too sad once separated. Will be interesting to see what sex they are. I am hoping for a girl too, but will love either one. My WCP is a male, so either a boy or girl is fine. I sorta heard two females could fight, but who knows. Either way, I'm happy. They are the sweetest. I held yours when I was deciding. It was a bit more spunky at first and flew off a few times, then just chilled with me for a long time. They both step up though! He/she let me give lots of head scratches and just settled right in. It was a tough choice. Mine was a little more boring which I think will work out better with my WCP, plus I liked the weird yellow patch. It will probably go away, but who knows. There was a family right behind me that wanted to buy both...I marched right up to the counter and bought mine before they could!!! No one was taking my baby!