• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby scarlet macaw

Jwise096

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan Wise
I’ve had my 5 month old scarlet for about a week now & he is starting to get very beaky & biting me very hard. He steps up a lot & flies over to us. Any suggestions on how to make him less beaky? He loves neck scratches & let’s us pet him most of the time. I know he just isn’t very comfortable with us. When we give him space he just flies over to us. He just started biting yesterday

Jwise096

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan Wise
We have been teaching him no & it seems to make him want to bite more. Would you recommend trying to put him in the cage during those 5 minutes or leave him out? He got me really good today & kinda lost my trust with holding him

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't cage them. By the time you get it done it's like they forgot what the issue was. I say NO and walk away. Five minutes and then come back like nothing happened.

Jwise096

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan Wise
I will definitely try this!! Thank you so much

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just remember they are babies, like toddlers you will say it a thousand times before they get it. Don't make drama of it, they LOVE drama. If you make a scene when bit they will bite to see the show. ;)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I find it helps to have some foot toys or toy parts to shove in their mouths as distractions, too.

Jwise096

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan Wise
I will try that! I’ve been giving him cashews for stepping up & that seems to be helping with his biting while he’s on us! He usually let’s go once we grab his beak but I read that they don’t like to be grabbed on the beak, so I will definitely try this out! Thank you :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I always grab Burt by the beak too, I pick him up from the floor with his beak :) Sometimes I have a hold of that beak for the reason Sarah stated and sometimes just because I can.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I found that both of my GWs liked to be grabbed by the beak and it shaken gently back and forth. It's a friendly thing out in the bird world. And I would hold their beak (like Macawnutz) when I needed a cheek nuzzle.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My new B&G Macaw "JaKhu" (now 7 months old) is also nippy. I grab her beak & lift it off & tell her no bite. She's slowly learning. She was heavily clipped when I got her & she has had some issues with balance, so she grabs onto me to hold on. When I carry her I clamp her feet & try to hold her away from my body. When she's on my lap, usually on her back, I give her a small stuffed animal to play with. That gives her something to grab instead of my fingers.

My B&G Macaw, JaJaBinks, that passed in August would let me grab her beak, give it a good shake. Then I'd kiss her face. It was a game we played. I'm trying to teach JaKhu this now.

Jwise096

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan Wise
Update: he has not gotten better, he is very nippy. We are trying to teach him no & remove attention for 5 minutes but now he just flies to us & tries to bite. I hold his beak when he is on me and kiss him but he still is trying to bite all the time

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Maybe associating soft touches with his beak will help? That way instead of the fun of reacting to bites he’ll start wanting the reward of touch...
When my macaw Bowser first started getting a little bitey, I started gently stroking his beak (he had a beak injury so grabbing it wasn’t possible back then). Now it’s still his favorite thing ever. Soft strokes up and down his beak and a little up around his nares. It calms him down right away.

Jwise096

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan Wise
Maybe associating soft touches with his beak will help? That way instead of the fun of reacting to bites he’ll start wanting the reward of touch...
When my macaw Bowser first started getting a little bitey, I started gently stroking his beak (he had a beak injury so grabbing it wasn’t possible back then). Now it’s still his favorite thing ever. Soft strokes up and down his beak and a little up around his nares. It calms him down right away.
I will definitely try that! He usually loves being pet!! He is very lovey when he wants to be but very bitey also! This is my first bird but lived with my sister when she got hers (that’s when I found my love for macaws) but the babies are a lot of work! I appreciate all of the advice :)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Aw hopefully things get better, all I can say is; pictures of your baby?? Always excited to see other scarlets on here :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A tired bird here means a happy parrot slave, me. Since he's flying to you, train him to fly to you on command and then to fly back to a desired perch. It sounds like he has lots of energy. Tire him out! Give him a positive outlet for that energy.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I honestly can't remember what exactly I did that worked, when my green wing was a baby, but she grew up and it's much better. She's still beaky, but macaws are very beaky. Most of the time when I pick her up, she grabs my hand with her beak. Only when she's REALLY excited to come with me will she skip this step. But you probably already know to expect this... Sometimes I made a high-pitched squawk, like another bird would do to protest the pressure. Sometimes I used a distraction object: if I wanted to pick her up and she was excited and I knew she'd grab me too hard, I'd stick another toy in her beak first. Sometimes I'd shift/wiggle my arm so she'd have to raise her head for balance. Sometimes I'd gently grab her beak and we'd have a little beak to hand greeting - I think this is what she likes best, so I think it might be the most natural approach for macaws - how they meet each other. Sometimes I'd withdraw my attention, but you have to be so careful and analytical about not reinforcing the biting. I think all of those things, plus time for maturity, worked together. And it took TIME.