• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Baby Indian Ringneck Help?

Bek21

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bekah
Just got a new, almost 3 month old blue male ring neck, Bennie! We picked him out at 3 weeks & he’s been hand fed by the exotic store & handled by us 2-3 times a week since then as well. He’s always been super sweet and loved to be held and scratched on his head. We brought him home a week ago today and had his vet confirm he’s very healthy & looking good. He eats his meals & he loves playing with his toys, but he seems afraid of my partner and I now. He likes to roam the house but he won’t let us get close to him at all, and when we try to pick him up out of his cage, or do step ups, he just bites. The bites don’t seem all that aggressive but they’re getting there. I know it’s only been a week but we just want to raise him up to be a personable bird & not one that’s aggressive & afraid of us. The owners of the store pushed for maintaining dominance over this kind of bird so we try to get him to step up with us and such for a few short minutes a day, but it’s almost like us picking him up is making him trust us less. He will eat / groom himself while we are near but if me move closer he flies away. Is he still just adjusting or have we done something wrong, & is there anything else we can do to help him adjust & trust us more? (new to this & tried to post this in another thread oops)

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Okay, first, cringing over the picture of him by your dogs. Predator/prey. Not a safe combo. No matter how nice someone's dog is, and how many "cute" videos people post, it's really not safe to let your bird with your dogs. Also, dominance doesn't work successfully- it's an outdated practice. Forcing your bird to do anything- unless it's for safety, is a bad idea. You want to gain your bird's trust. That takes time. More than a week. I also always let my birds come out on their own. I don't make them come out. You should work on training but only for about 5-10 minutes on a time. And make it fun and reward him. I would check out some training sites - Pamela Clarke or Barbara Heidenreich are 2 good sources. I also recommend Barbara's book Good Bird. I think you need to go a bit slower with him and try to read his comfort level. You'll get there. And he's very cute. :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Welcome to tje forum @ such a little beauty!

Agree with Sunnysmom! So many birds are killed by dogs and cats in home.. Your best bet is to never allow interactions.

Silver sage aviary is a dedicated breeder and has many useful articles. Here is a link to one

Bek21

Real Name
Bekah
Okay, first, cringing over the picture of him by your dogs. Predator/prey. Not a safe combo. No matter how nice someone's dog is, and how many "cute" videos people post, it's really not safe to let your bird with your dogs. Also, dominance doesn't work successfully- it's an outdated practice. Forcing your bird to do anything- unless it's for safety, is a bad idea. You want to gain your bird's trust. That takes time. More than a week. I also always let my birds come out on their own. I don't make them come out. You should work on training but only for about 5-10 minutes on a time. And make it fun and reward him. I would check out some training sites - Pamela Clarke or Barbara Heidenreich are 2 good sources. I also recommend Barbara's book Good Bird. I think you need to go a bit slower with him and try to read his comfort level. You'll get there. And he's very cute. :)
Thank you!! Much appreciated. As far as the dogs go there really isn’t anything we can do for avoiding interaction if he’s gonna come out of his cage ever (& we leave it open for him to come out on his own when we are able to be here). But we never ever leave them alone together and we are always right by the dogs when he is out. Will definitely keep this in mind though, thanks so much :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you!! Much appreciated. As far as the dogs go there really isn’t anything we can do for avoiding interaction if he’s gonna come out of his cage ever (& we leave it open for him to come out on his own when we are able to be here). But we never ever leave them alone together and we are always right by the dogs when he is out. Will definitely keep this in mind though, thanks so much :)
You don’t have another room with a door on it to keep your bird safe from your dogs at all times?
My dog is simply closed in another room when my bird is out- no problems for her and my bird is guaranteed to be safe.

Bek21

Real Name
Bekah
You don’t have another room with a door on it to keep your bird safe from your dogs at all times?
My dog is simply closed in another room when my bird is out- no problems for her and my bird is guaranteed to be safe.
The dogs aren’t even the issue at hand with my post, I was asking about his behavior. My dogs are harmless & don’t even get close to the bird for the most part. They’re uninterested & the bird will literally fall asleep on their dog bed with them on it. He isn’t afraid and if we’re right there it’s not an issue. Thanks :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
While we´re on the subject of dogs, just so that you are aware, it goes against our community rules to post photographs of birds and dogs together. I will paste the paragraph from the rules thread along with the link to it.

¨Photographs/Videos

• Please do not post photos of birds in dangerous situations.Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions on bird care. We are here to educate and help each other do the best we can do for the birds' best interest. This may bring up discussions on topics such as birds & other pets. Over the years we have seen many of these situations become losses. As Avian Avenue is a close community of people, we take those losses as our own. To educate and bring awareness of these potentially deadly opportunities we ask that you do not post photos of any birds in dangerous situations. This may include:
    • Photos with predatory animals such as dogs, cats, ferrets, etc. It just takes a split second for an accident to happen even with very well behaved cats and dogs who are taken by surprise. Cat saliva can be deadly to birds. Saliva toxins can kill within a matter of minutes or a few days. Scratches and bites from both cats and dogs and other animals can cause severe injury and/or death.

Be aware that dogs and cats who have been fine for years showing no interest in your birds can change as they get older. Please do not become lulled into a false sense of security. Cats and dogs can react unexpectedly for many reasons when least expected. It is your responsibility to protect your flock.¨

is there anything else we can do to help him adjust & trust us more?
I think you will find this thread helpful;

TisonA

Moving in
Open the cage door, when he is on top show him a tiny treat, piece of pecan, sunflower seed, value of treat is important. Get a chop stick,show him the treat, say want a treat, let him gently touch the end if the chop stick, give him the treat. Say want a treat? Show him the treat…. This is touch training. Getting on your finger is a trick…. Give him a treat. He is very bored and has no motivation to interact with you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Be nice! Don’t force, talk sweet, give him treats….
This is an older thread, the member who posted this hasn’t been online since June so they are unlikely to see your message.