• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby has arrived!

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Yesterday I went to pick up our cobalt. She is a five month old DNA'd female. We put her in her new cage around 7pm. She pretty much went up to a top back corner and spent the night there, hanging onto the side of the cage. So, first question, is that comfy for linnies? Should I put a platform perch there for her to sleep on? It's a really big cage compared to what she came from. And she was living in a room with lots of other parrots, now she is in my quiet house. I check on her and chat to her for a couple of minutes almost every hour.

She has pooped three times today (one in a food dish) but I haven't seen her eating yet but she had a bit of seed shell on her beak, so I suspect she has eaten. She has two food bowls, three water sources, and a dish of fresh veggies in her cage right now. She spent a little bit of time checking things out but still seems very nervous.

When should we start putting our hands in the cage? Yesterday was pretty stressful and I want to give her at least today to relax and get used to her new cage. She hasn't had much handling so far. Any tips on taming her?

Name ideas so far:
Pansy, Iris, Celeste, Wren, Bo

Photos will have to wait until she is a little less stress out.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats! :starshower:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! Can't wait to see her!

About hanging on the side of the cage, I've read a number of times here on AA that birds have feet/ankles that can comfortably relax while hanging, so although mine have never done that, I think it's OK. I've never had a platform perch but many here do.

Like you said, she needs some time to relax and get accustomed to her new home. I'd sit next to her for hours and read and chat quietly. You could play some music/TV since as you said she came from a noisy environment. Maybe tomorrow you could just open the door and see if she is interested in coming out. Put a perch inside and outside the door to give her a place to exit or return easily. You could casually put your hands in the cage, adjust a toy, add some food, don't go near her. Get her used to your hands as friendly, but don't over do it. Linnies can be hand shy so keep that in mind. My adult loves me, but would prefer I not touch her with my hands. Do you have a play gym or something for her to do outside the cage? If so, you could sit with her, while working on it. Add some toys, move stuff around, ring a bell. Since Linnies love to burrow, you could put a few towels on your lap, see if she ends up rummaging around under them. There are so many ways to build a relationship. I tend to use the parallel play method like with kids. I just sit nearby doing other stuff or eating a bird approved lunch. Many birds are just so curious that they need to come to investigate. Both of my birds are on my shoulder if I open the toy drawer, often on the side of the plate when I eat, always on my lap if I show them their pictures on my cell phone. Good luck and I bet she'll be preening your hair in no time.

I like all your name choices, but I'll vote for Celeste. Too cute.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:congrats5:

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Oooooooh Congrats!!!!!!!!! I love the names Iris and Pansy!!! but it looks like (according to your sig.) that you already settled on Bo. Cute name! Do you have any pics? Also sorry - I don't have any good tips on training/taming/handling....It's been a while since I did that!

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Oooooooh Congrats!!!!!!!!! I love the names Iris and Pansy!!! but it looks like (according to your sig.) that you already settled on Bo. Cute name!
LOL - name change already. She is now Jelly Bean. Pics to come...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!