• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby cockatiel

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
You are doing a good job taking care of your new beautiful cockatiel. The advice received from members is also valuable. I will add only one recommendation. That is to add a few platform perches which can be ordered from our vendors here on AA. Keep up the good work. Oh and playing the sounds of other cockatiels on YouTube will please you new baby.
I am going to search platform purchase right now On this site.

Roger

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
No the rope perches are not toxic. However, if they consume the rope, it can ball up in their crop and cause a crop impaction that, if not treated asap, could lead to death.

Unfortunately, there aren't many good replacement perches that are like rope perches and provide grip. There are some, but the ones I've seen are smooth and clear.

Rope perches come in either cotton (like the ones in the link) or in sisal.

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
No the rope perches are not toxic. However, if they consume the rope, it can ball up in their crop and cause a crop impaction that, if not treated asap, could lead to death.

Unfortunately, there aren't many good replacement perches that are like rope perches and provide grip. There are some, but the ones I've seen are smooth and clear.

Rope perches come in either cotton (like the ones in the link) or in sisal.
Thanks

Roger

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi K5, you may want to look into any of the perches carried by our vendors. Often our vendors have safer items for your fids. Often those you can get from a petstore are contaminated w/ other birds dander or poop that often is on those pet store items, which can carry illnesses & disease. Most of our vendors have buildings or rental spaces that are nowhere near another bird. I have included the link to our vender pages @ the bottom.

I know many who have ordered platforms from & absolutely loved them because their fids loved them.

Things for Wings

Oliver's Garden

Tweety Pies bird toys

The other type rope, is carried by many vendors but since you have a smaller bird you may find some nice little bird safe perches w/ this one & part of the sale proceeds goes directly to bird charity's.

Perches for Change

The vendors on this list are loved dearly by many of us regular members that have thrown funds out to door (quite literally, some I spent, would've been better to do throw it out my frnt door) learning that these perches are safer & better made than most any "other" online vendor out in internet land. Definately safer & better than the pet stores.

This is our full vendor list & the links will take you to their shop front.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Awe Joshua is adorable :swoon:
I agree with everything said- I also have that cage and my 2 budgies had to figure out how to maneuver well(also they were both clipped when I got them so flying wasn’t an option).
Our vendors really do have amazing toys. I was shocked at the difference in quality when I started ordering from them vs. say Amazon.
One more tip just cuz it’s worked very well for us: I’ve kept a boing rope perch in the front of the cage by the door. Both my birds use it as an escalator up and down inside the cage and it’s also where they take off from and land on when coming in and out. I’ve been replacing it with a new one every few months just because they do start showing wear after a while.
072FBE27-8D7B-434A-B718-282DA10F0E37.jpeg
Have fun with the new baby and please keep the pics comin :loveshower:

Kegwai

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
I am following this thread as I have a little 35-day old Cockatiel chick. Little CeCe is so sweet & fearless. We believe the chick might be a girl but time will tell. She climbs all over my husband & I when we have her out of the family cage. She is currently on the 2nd set of perches from the floor of the cage but is having trouble getting around on them. I have a combination of the bendable rope & natural wood perches. I have a new bendable I am going to install to try to help her. I am also going to install the zip tie ladder steps that others talked about to try to help her out. She really doesn't try to navigate on the outside vertical bars of the cage, she prefers to use the perches & ladders. I think they are just a little too far from each other for her comfort. She takes short flights when we have her out. We just love this little one so so much...Here are 2 pics taken yesterday of our little peanut.

Attachments

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
I am following this thread as I have a little 35-day old Cockatiel chick. Little CeCe is so sweet & fearless. We believe the chick might be a girl but time will tell. She climbs all over my husband & I when we have her out of the family cage. She is currently on the 2nd set of perches from the floor of the cage but is having trouble getting around on them. I have a combination of the bendable rope & natural wood perches. I have a new bendable I am going to install to try to help her. I am also going to install the zip tie ladder steps that others talked about to try to help her out. She really doesn't try to navigate on the outside vertical bars of the cage, she prefers to use the perches & ladders. I think they are just a little too far from each other for her comfort. She takes short flights when we have her out. We just love this little one so so much...Here are 2 pics taken yesterday of our little peanut.
Just wanted to let you know that my little baby cockatiel is now climbing all over the cage. He has learned how to climb and use the ladder. No need for the Ladder anymore however because he also has learned to climb all the way to the top of the Cage.

you might want to give your little baby a little more time. He will probably learn quickly.

Roger

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I found a ladder to be very helpful when your birds fly high up and you want them down raise the ladder up to them and they will step up on it. So keep them used to using the ladder.

Kegwai

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
I found a ladder to be very helpful when your birds fly high up and you want them down raise the ladder up to them and they will step up on it. So keep them used to using the ladder.
We are super grateful that we have no problems getting her to step up. She doesn't even hesitate whether it is a finger, a hand, a ladder or a perch. We are so thrilled that this little peanut has no fear of us. In fact, if you are close to the cage she lets you know that she wants out even when we can't bring her out (feeding our 3 Great Danes)... We will continue trying to win over her parents (long story - separate posting)..but we won't give up. :heart2:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Kegwai Cece looks to possibly be an incomplete pearl whiteface. What do her parents look like?

Kegwai

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth
@Kegwai Cece looks to possibly be an incomplete pearl whiteface. What do her parents look like?
Common Grays... CeCe looks a lot like CoCo *the mother*... if you catch her in natural light she has the soft grey with a smidge of undertones to it.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Cece is a whiteface... so is Coco also a whiteface or a grey? Maybe it'll be easier if you include a picture of the parents! :)