• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby cockatiel

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
Morning everyone

Wanted to ask a question on my new just wean cockatiel. He does not seem to be able to climb the cage if I put him on the top perch when he comes down to the bottom perch he does not know how to get back up. I have put in a ladder to help him along. Has not helped yet. I’m assuming in time he will learn. is there anything I can do to help him learn faster. I keep saying him because the breeder thinks it’s a male but doesn’t know for sure yet. Here is a picture of my new baby. He is very tame.

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I really can't point to a reason why but young tiels aside from being clumsy really struggle with climbing. Always good to set the perches low so there's no accidents, just until he's stronger and gets more confident. He'll struggle with vertical bars anyway, but he'll get over that.
Wow, what a crest!!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He/she is adorable!

I have the exact same cage, and had a similar issue in the beginning. It's most likely the vertical bars, the horizontal parts are just beyond cockatiel height, which means they have to scramble up. If they came from a background with mesh/horizontal bars it will take some getting used to.

I eventually put some zip ties halfway as a step up.

Also a tip, when he does get used to climbing, you might want to position the food bowls in the higher parts cos they will just poop in them!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie pie! :heart: What @Ripshod said. He will grow into his cage, but let him start out with it being easy and safe.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations on bringing home your feathered companion :starshower1:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Aww nothing is cuter than a baby tiel!

Lower perches
a Boing to climb on
a small ladder now, taller one later
Food up a little for an incentive (a treat, not all the food)

What's his name?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
What a cutie! What is his name? When they are that small, they do not have the strength to climb yet. When I got my bird, I got a smaller, flat cage with low perches and dishes and when Bella grew, I put her in her regular cage and use the smaller one as a travel cage. Another thing that you should be doing is to make sure that he is eating. Sometimes tiels regress. The easiest way is to weigh him every day. Welcome to the forum!

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
Thank you very much all the comments. His name is Joshua. I am weighing him every day. He’s basically stayed at 82 g for about two days. Then today he has gone up to 84 g.
One more question. What is the normal wait for his age. I’m assuming he will go up a little in weight as he gets older. I would also think that there is a little fluctuating of about two grams Day to day.

thanks Roger

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The cage does look better, but I would recommend more natural perches and perhaps some rope perches. You could get a long rope perch and tie it off at the bottom and then either cross length wise up higher in the cage or wrap around to go on same side or the side next to where it's clamped to the cage. (aka "U" shaped with one side higher, more of a crescent shape, or just straight line but always one side higher than the other).

If Joshua's mother is *not* a pearl, then you have a little girl. If Joshua's mother *is* a pearl, then Joshua could be male or female.

Hard to say what a good weight is as their weights can vary depending on chick. As long as he's healthy and not underweight, probably nothing to be concerned about right now. :)

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
The cage does look better, but I would recommend more natural perches and perhaps some rope perches. You could get a long rope perch and tie it off at the bottom and then either cross length wise up higher in the cage or wrap around to go on same side or the side next to where it's clamped to the cage. (aka "U" shaped with one side higher, more of a crescent shape, or just straight line but always one side higher than the other).

If Joshua's mother is *not* a pearl, then you have a little girl. If Joshua's mother *is* a pearl, then Joshua could be male or female.

Hard to say what a good weight is as their weights can vary depending on chick. As long as he's healthy and not underweight, probably nothing to be concerned about right now. :)
To my understanding the mom and dad was a pearl. Can you give me a pic of a rope perch.

Roger

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww darling. I had a lovely cinnamon pearl for 17 years.

K5MOW

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roger Stenstrom
thank you very much. I have never heard of rope perches. I am definitely going to get one of these and give it a try. You said don’t let him or her chew on it. I’m assuming it’s non-toxic. What if he or she chews on it while I’m at work.

Roger

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You are doing a good job taking care of your new beautiful cockatiel. The advice received from members is also valuable. I will add only one recommendation. That is to add a few platform perches which can be ordered from our vendors here on AA. Keep up the good work. Oh and playing the sounds of other cockatiels on YouTube will please you new baby.