• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Baby Cockatiel (Possible trigger warning for animal neglect)- Sad Update Post #16

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Hi all, it’s been a little while since I’ve posted here but I have a bunch of updates.
First is that Nibbler and I have moved to the UK. We’ve been here almost a year now, which is kind of crazy to think, but we are settling in well.

Second is that after much debate and sadness I decided to rehome my two lovey budgies Pip and Avo to a new amazing forever home. They are very much “bird birds” if that makes sense and don’t really want much to do with people. With the big move across the world I made the hard choice to rehome them to a friend who already had a nice avairy and bigger flock of budgies. I just felt like it was the best choice for them but it was so hard to say goodbye. Thankfully they are doing really well in their new home and have made new friends.

Lastly, and what is the main reason for this post, is that my boyfriend and I decided to welcome a new baby cockatiel into our little family. We were worried that Nibbler was a bit lonely at times even though we spend almost all day with him just because he didn’t have bird friends anymore. So we welcomed a beautiful little white faced baby.

Unfortunately that is where the good news stops. We got Cleo from an insanely sketchy “breeder” and all the red flags and warnings that you should look out for when you get a new pet we’re there. I won’t go too much into it but basically the birds were filthy and he was giving us information I know to be false (like it was a sure thing Nibbler would like her). All of these things I saw and I knew but I couldn’t help it. Cleo was so sweet and she seemed alert so I thought maybe she’s just really dirty but in decent health. Part of me feels so stupid for ignoring my gut but then this poor little baby would still be in that situation.

Everything seemed fine at first, she was eating and drinking a lot and was active, calling to Nibbler etc. But then she went down hill fast. This past weekend she became noticeably sick and lethargic and I was worried that she wouldn’t make it through the weekend. All the avian vets were closed in our area so we had to wait for Monday, this was the worst weekend of my life. We called a bunch of emergency vets but none would take birds. All we could do was wait and hope.

She started doing a tiny bit better, seemly having more energy and perching. We finally got to see the vet today and the news is not great. She’s extremely malnourished and under weight. On top of that her body temperature is too low. The vet has given us a bunch of things we are now doing for her and we go back on Thursday but we’ve been told it’s 50/50 on wether she makes it.

I feel so heartbroken and responsible. I know we didn’t cause the malnutrition as we’ve only had her 2 days but I just feel like I should be able to do more for her. We’ve cranked the heat up in the house to keep her warm (the flat is now like an actual sauna) but I just wish I could fix this. She’s eating like a champ and we have some supplements that the vet gave us to sprinkle on for her but I’m worried, I’m sad. This was suppose to be a happy new adventure not heartbreaking.

I guess I’m posting this as a way to cope, to share my feelings and maybe hear for others who have had similar situations.

I’m not religious but please send any good vibes you can to Cleo. I think she’s strong and a fighter and I’m going to do everything in my power to help this poor baby but she needs all the positive thoughts and prayers she can get. I have no idea what this bird has been through before she came to us but she’s safe now and we love her and I promise her she will never be neglected ever again.

Sorry for the novel of a post I just need some support right now from this amazing community and to express how I’m feeling in a safe place.

F624F67E-A624-4A1D-B228-C16D4B3E1378.jpeg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sending prayers and best thoughts her way.
Stay strong yourself, your baby needs you.

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
Poor baby. Sending positive vibes!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor baby. Sending prayers. Do you know how old she is? This is a good resource for baby tiel info: www.ask-noodles.com

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Sending you a big hug and lots of good thoughts! :sadhug2:That is a sweet little baby and I’m happy that she has a better home, even if things don’t turn out as we all hope they will, at least her time now is in a place where she is loved and cared for. :heart2:Putting out all of the positive vibes that she pulls through and has a happily ever after. Keep us updated!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:gbh: Prayers up

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Thank you all for your lovely words and support.

Poor baby. Sending prayers. Do you know how old she is? This is a good resource for baby tiel info: www.ask-noodles.com
We were told that she’s about 12 weeks maybe a bit younger. Thank you so much for the website link I will check it out!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you all for your lovely words and support.

We were told that she’s about 12 weeks maybe a bit younger. Thank you so much for the website link I will check it out!
It's good that she's eating. Cockatiels normally don't wean until between 8-12 weeks and sometimes even then regress and need some hand feedings.

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
It's good that she's eating. Cockatiels normally don't wean until between 8-12 weeks and sometimes even then regress and need some hand feedings.
Yeah I was actually really shocked by how much she ate when we first brought her home. I now realize it’s probably because she was so hungry.

She’s clearly weak but the fact that she eating and drinking gives me hope. If she starts to go downhill and stops eating I’ll probably ask the vet if I should start hand feeding her just to ensure she’s getting the nutrients she needs. Hopefully it won’t come to that though.

She seems to trust me at least. She comes up to the door of the cage when I come in and loves having her head scritched gently. I’m trying not to handle her too much though because I don’t want her to waste energy.

I’ve taken out most of the high perches just because I’m worried climbing up to them will tire her out. What do you guys think? Is that something to be worried about or am I overthinking it? She does climb up to the perches but I feel like she’ll be more comfortable on the towel at the bottom. Especially because there’s a hot water bottle under it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think keeping the perches lowered for awhile is a good idea. You can try putting a perch on the towel too.

Jogging around the block
Poor little 'tiel , I'm glad she's with a better home now
Sending good vibes!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sending prayers and good thoughts for her!

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Hi all, it’s been a little while since I’ve posted here but I have a bunch of updates.
First is that Nibbler and I have moved to the UK. We’ve been here almost a year now, which is kind of crazy to think, but we are settling in well.

Second is that after much debate and sadness I decided to rehome my two lovey budgies Pip and Avo to a new amazing forever home. They are very much “bird birds” if that makes sense and don’t really want much to do with people. With the big move across the world I made the hard choice to rehome them to a friend who already had a nice avairy and bigger flock of budgies. I just felt like it was the best choice for them but it was so hard to say goodbye. Thankfully they are doing really well in their new home and have made new friends.

Lastly, and what is the main reason for this post, is that my boyfriend and I decided to welcome a new baby cockatiel into our little family. We were worried that Nibbler was a bit lonely at times even though we spend almost all day with him just because he didn’t have bird friends anymore. So we welcomed a beautiful little white faced baby.

Unfortunately that is where the good news stops. We got Cleo from an insanely sketchy “breeder” and all the red flags and warnings that you should look out for when you get a new pet we’re there. I won’t go too much into it but basically the birds were filthy and he was giving us information I know to be false (like it was a sure thing Nibbler would like her). All of these things I saw and I knew but I couldn’t help it. Cleo was so sweet and she seemed alert so I thought maybe she’s just really dirty but in decent health. Part of me feels so stupid for ignoring my gut but then this poor little baby would still be in that situation.

Everything seemed fine at first, she was eating and drinking a lot and was active, calling to Nibbler etc. But then she went down hill fast. This past weekend she became noticeably sick and lethargic and I was worried that she wouldn’t make it through the weekend. All the avian vets were closed in our area so we had to wait for Monday, this was the worst weekend of my life. We called a bunch of emergency vets but none would take birds. All we could do was wait and hope.

She started doing a tiny bit better, seemly having more energy and perching. We finally got to see the vet today and the news is not great. She’s extremely malnourished and under weight. On top of that her body temperature is too low. The vet has given us a bunch of things we are now doing for her and we go back on Thursday but we’ve been told it’s 50/50 on wether she makes it.

I feel so heartbroken and responsible. I know we didn’t cause the malnutrition as we’ve only had her 2 days but I just feel like I should be able to do more for her. We’ve cranked the heat up in the house to keep her warm (the flat is now like an actual sauna) but I just wish I could fix this. She’s eating like a champ and we have some supplements that the vet gave us to sprinkle on for her but I’m worried, I’m sad. This was suppose to be a happy new adventure not heartbreaking.

I guess I’m posting this as a way to cope, to share my feelings and maybe hear for others who have had similar situations.

I’m not religious but please send any good vibes you can to Cleo. I think she’s strong and a fighter and I’m going to do everything in my power to help this poor baby but she needs all the positive thoughts and prayers she can get. I have no idea what this bird has been through before she came to us but she’s safe now and we love her and I promise her she will never be neglected ever again.

Sorry for the novel of a post I just need some support right now from this amazing community and to express how I’m feeling in a safe place.

View attachment 389769
Well done you. If she's eating heatedly that's a good sign. She's lucky she found you

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Thank you guys for the support and info, I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

Small update this morning: she’s still hanging in, eating, drinking and is currently enjoying a steam with antibacterial solution that the vet prescribed. She’s such a fighter this little girl. She climbed up the door of her cage this morning when I went in to check on her and came out for a few minutes for some cuddles.

And a small update on my Nibbly Bibbly: he’s confused and doesn’t know what’s going on. He knows there’s a new bird in the house but hasn’t seen her and sees that my boyfriend and I are upset and stressed. I’m trying my best to be happy around him and keep his routines the same as usual and obviously not doing anything to put him at risk of infection or something (we change clothes after we tend to her and wash our hands, etc.). We’ve bought him some new toys as well to hopefully keep him happy. The vet doesn’t think Cleo has anything she can pass onto Nibbler but we aren’t taking any chances.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hoping things keep improving for her going forward.

She is certainly lucky to have someone who has found her and that is giving her the care she deserves.

Sending good vibes to all four of you.

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Sadly Cleo passed away this morning. She stopped eating and was growing noticeably weaker. We called the vet and we’re told that there wasn’t much more we could do. We kept hoping that she would start eating again but she just couldn’t. I just got this sinking feeling and knew it wasn’t looking good. She stayed by the door as if wanting to come out. After about an hour of watching her and waiting for her to eat I brought her out. She climbed up to my chest under my chin and passed away as I stroked her head.

I’m heartbroken, empty and I just feel like I let her down. I keep going over everything I did in my head wondering if I did something wrong. I wanted to save her so badly. She didn’t deserve this, she deserved so much more. At the very least I think she could feel how much I loved her. I hope she did. I feel like I’ve failed her.

We are taking Nibbler to the vet appointment we had set up for her tomorrow just to get him checked and we are getting her cremated. I can’t bring myself to burry her since we don’t own our flat or have a backyard and I can’t bare to leave her behind when we eventually move out. She’s part of our family no matter how long she was with us and she always will be.

Thank you everyone for all the support and well wishes you sent our way, I think Cleo felt every single one of them. I’m sorry I don’t have happier news for you guys, but I wanted to let you all know.

In memory:
AD427167-63DE-4965-BB14-C970FEECDD14.jpeg

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'm so sorry you lost her but she knew she was safe and loved to the end and was with her favorite person as she passed. You did everything you possibly could :sadhug:

Jogging around the block
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:
You tried your hardest and gave her a better life than she would have got if you didn't take her :sadhug:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to hear this :sad1:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue