• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New baby Blue!

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello :)

I adopted an 18 month old ringneck last spring who was untame, ill, and plucked naked from the neck down. He now has a clean bill of health and chooses to spend most of his non-foraging time sitting by the window talking to birds outside. I had a sudden opportunity to adopt a 3 month old Quaker from a really really great owner and an excellent breeder, and when I met him and his mom I just couldn't pass it up.

Meet Blue! I've never changed a pet's name before and feel bad doing so, especially since his former mom is so awesome, but Blue is a word that I trip over and so we've been trying out two syllable names. We'll see if he likes any of them better :)

So far my ringneck seems to really like having another bird in the house (they're at opposite ends of my little bungalow in separate rooms for quarantine period) and they talk back and forth a lot! I'm hoping Blue learns my ringneck's quiet monkey chatter instead of my ringneck learning his loud baby squawks but so far the latter is happening more often than the former :roflmao:

1664396923939.png

Ok here's where I ask for all your baby Quaker stories and advice!!! I was planning on looking for a second parrot next spring so I'm trying to catch up on all my reading and research since he's already very different from my non-flighted ringneck! :D

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What an absolutely adorable little guy! I've long loved blue Quakers :heart: . @Mizzely could tell you of the ups and downs with her blue quaker boy. @CrazyBirdChick has a blue quaker as well and I believe @fidsmom has many quakers as well :)

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
:cngrt5:

What an adorable little baby!! I also have a quaker named Blu, that I did not name, and I really wanted to change it too. I tried calling him many other names but seemed to get angry at most of them. Plus he calls himself Blu so I kind of gave up on that but I do use a nickname now in addition to his name. I call him Kookums- which he doesn't mind :laugh:
Good luck with your new floof ball!! I know he or she will keep you entertained

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Ahhhhh so stinkin cute! My cousin has one that I’m presently pet sitting, he’s about 12-13 weeks old, and he’s absolutely hilarious. Such a difference from my cockatiel!

For names, if you want something that sounds similar to Blue (in case he’s aware of his name) but want two syllables, what about Booboo?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Awww how cute :heart:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Congratulations!!! Perfectly adorable baby boy! Look forward to all your adventures and sharing quaker stories with you.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about calling him Bluey? It'd be two syllables & half his original name. :)

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bluey is such a great show!

(thanks to Aussie friends with toddlers I recognize him!)

Birdman416

Meeting neighbors

I adopted an 18 month old ringneck last spring who was untame, ill, and plucked naked from the neck down. He now has a clean bill of health and chooses to spend most of his non-foraging time sitting by the window talking to birds outside. I had a sudden opportunity to adopt a 3 month old Quaker from a really really great owner and an excellent breeder, and when I met him and his mom I just couldn't pass it up.

Meet Blue! I've never changed a pet's name before and feel bad doing so, especially since his former mom is so awesome, but Blue is a word that I trip over and so we've been trying out two syllable names. We'll see if he likes any of them better :)

So far my ringneck seems to really like having another bird in the house (they're at opposite ends of my little bungalow in separate rooms for quarantine period) and they talk back and forth a lot! I'm hoping Blue learns my ringneck's quiet monkey chatter instead of my ringneck learning his loud baby squawks but so far the latter is happening more often than the former :roflmao:

View attachment 414047

Ok here's where I ask for all your baby Quaker stories and advice!!! I was planning on looking for a second parrot next spring so I'm trying to catch up on all my reading and research since he's already very different from my non-flighted ringneck! :D
Beautiful. Where did you get it from please? Thanks

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
He looks very good welcome to him!! :)
Also I am happy that your first bird is not plucking anymore! I see so many heartbreaking stories of bird with these behavior, would you mind maybe making a topic on how you managed to get your bird feel better? I think it could help a lot of people.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
He looks very good welcome to him!! :)
Also I am happy that your first bird is not plucking anymore! I see so many heartbreaking stories of bird with these behavior, would you mind maybe making a topic on how you managed to get your bird feel better? I think it could help a lot of people.
I would actually like to second this! I would love to have the information handy in the event it’s some thing I end up having to deal with

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I misspoke - my ringneck is now healthy but he's still a naked little man! He was getting close to being able to fly with his last molt but now 2 months later he has only a few feathers left.

He is a happy guy, though - lots of foraging puzzles and chewing toys and a network of perches and rope bridges so he can get around the whole room :)

Baby Blue has met a whole bunch of visitors this weekend, and gets to hear a cockatiel! He's been trying to copy my ringneck's morning sounds and I just heard him trying to copy the cockatiel 's whistled Mayberry theme song in brrrap-brraaps

PXL_20221002_171227385.jpg

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Oh I misspoke - my ringneck is now healthy but he's still a naked little man! He was getting close to being able to fly with his last molt but now 2 months later he has only a few feathers left.

He is a happy guy, though - lots of foraging puzzles and chewing toys and a network of perches and rope bridges so he can get around the whole room :)

Baby Blue has met a whole bunch of visitors this weekend, and gets to hear a cockatiel! He's been trying to copy my ringneck's morning sounds and I just heard him trying to copy the cockatiel 's whistled Mayberry theme song in brrrap-brraaps

View attachment 414283
Oh ok I hope the ringneck will get better for the feather but as long as he is happy. If only he could make the experience of flying maybe it would click on the importance of taking care of himself.

The little Blue is really cute :)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

View attachment 414283
Such a cutie! It would be so amazing if he picked up the theme sing from the tiel!!!
Plus omg would love to listen to the tiel sing that. Has to be super cute

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

View attachment 414047

:congrats5: So absolutely gorgeous really love the blue colours :heart:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Haha :rofl: my daughter (6) and husband favourite cartoon show they know it word for word my husband laughs his head off to it:rolleyes:
Because it is *so good*

Honestly I’ll even watch it without my son. I love it. That, and Phineas and Ferb.