• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New and Accidental Finch Owner (maybe)!

KatCheah

Moving in
My kids & I rescued what we think is a female zebra finch today. We've put notices up, but if we can't find her owner, I guess we're keeping her! She was found foraging around outside. She was very "fluffed up" and was pecking at the concrete sidewalk. When my son walked past her, she didn't fly away, which is when we suspected she was either injured or domestic. On further investigation, she was both! She has a toe missing from one foot, but it looks like an old injury, and she hops around fine. She also flew a short distance when we went to capture her, so her wings seem fine. She does seem to have a brown spot on her beak. We got a cage for her to house her while we wait to see if anyone claims her. She has eaten and drank water, and vocalized a bit. She seems calmer once she was in the cage with fresh water and food. I realize that if we were to keep her, we'd have to get her a male companion to keep her company. Does she look healthy/sick, just from those pictures? We will be taking her to the vet in a few days. We are bird novices, so any advice would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

Attachments

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Awwww❤Thank you for rescuing her! Zebra finches are so much fun to watch, I love their little meeps and beeps.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My kids & I rescued what we think is a female zebra finch today. We've put notices up, but if we can't find her owner, I guess we're keeping her! She was found foraging around outside. She was very "fluffed up" and was pecking at the concrete sidewalk. When my son walked past her, she didn't fly away, which is when we suspected she was either injured or domestic. On further investigation, she was both! She has a toe missing from one foot, but it looks like an old injury, and she hops around fine. She also flew a short distance when we went to capture her, so her wings seem fine. She does seem to have a brown spot on her beak. We got a cage for her to house her while we wait to see if anyone claims her. She has eaten and drank water, and vocalized a bit. She seems calmer once she was in the cage with fresh water and food. I realize that if we were to keep her, we'd have to get her a male companion to keep her company. Does she look healthy/sick, just from those pictures? We will be taking her to the vet in a few days. We are bird novices, so any advice would be appreciated! Thank you so much!
You should probably take her to a vet to get her checked out, she could have a sickness from being in the wild for so long.

I think you could get her a female companion eventually, so you don't need a male. Can we see photos of your setup so we can give some pointers?

@finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there, congratulations on your new addition! Please do keep looking for the original owner though; I know when we’ve lost one outdoors, we have thought about it for months and years after, wondering if it’s okay.

I *think* the spot on her beak is damage from flying into something or being bitten by another bird. It is not fresh and should eventually grow off the end.

If you don’t plan on breeding a zillion zebra finches, get a female friend for your bird. It’s really hard to keep them from nesting everywhere including the food dish, and if you have a male then you have all the babies to worry with.

Waiting to see your cage setup :)

KatCheah

Moving in
This is a temporary set up while we wait for a response to our ad! I know the cage is too small for her, but so far she seems content. She's been eating and drinking and voiding and vocalizing occasionally. And thanks for the advice to get another female. I don't think we're mentally prepared for a flock of finches quite yet!

Attachments

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
What a little trooper! I bet someone is missing her, but if you don't find her family Abeakus Finch has landed in a soft place!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :)

I *think* the spot on her beak is damage from flying into something or being bitten by another bird. It is not fresh and should eventually grow off the end.
I am also thinking the same.

The little cage set up is perfect for now :)

KatCheah

Moving in
Thanks everyone! She's up today and very active. Chirping lots - how much is "normal" and when is it a sign of distress? Sorry - I will be full of questions over then next little while, and it's very kind of all of you to be so helpful! :)

Reactions: Ali

KatCheah

Moving in
Also, we have a fairly large and busy household. No other pets except a corn snake, but I don't have quiet kids :D. Right now, Abeakus is in the living room by a window, but we have an open concept house, and there's a fair bit of kitchen noise, etc... Should I put her in a quieter room so there's less noise? I'm reading a lot of scary warnings about stressing them out too much and killing them :(

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Also, we have a fairly large and busy household. No other pets except a corn snake, but I don't have quiet kids :D. Right now, Abeakus is in the living room by a window, but we have an open concept house, and there's a fair bit of kitchen noise, etc... Should I put her in a quieter room so there's less noise? I'm reading a lot of scary warnings about stressing them out too much and killing them :(
I would be more worried about fumes. Do you use teflon, air fresh etc? All these things can kill a bird

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for taking the little finch into your home and giving her a safe place to be.

KatCheah

Moving in
I would be more worried about fumes. Do you use teflon, air fresh etc? All these things can kill a bird
Nope, no teflon, no scented products, candles, etc... We have household members with allergies, hence no furry pets as well! Everything else I'm worried about, but air quality isn't one of them :)

Reactions: Ali