• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures New Amazon friend!

Mitchan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I've always been meaning to add another Amazon to the flock eventually (I prefer to keep my birds with bird friends of the same species or genus available! Super healthy constant enrichment - and also legally adviced not to keep birds alone without same-species/genus bird friends here in Sweden) - and having a flock of four just feels more harmonious than a flock of three!
So when this 18 year old Yellow crowned boy came along, it just sounded like the perfect fit... He's obviously still relatively young but definitely a full adult, and he's got a history of being very calm, gentle, and patient, so he's got a personality that would likely fit well in my flock (no more craziness needed, Drogon's enough, lol), and when Drogon does reach puberty, he'd potentially be a good help in raising him into a good boy, in Drogon's own language!

So with Drogon being parent-raised and having met, and loved, plenty of other Amazons - and while this Yellow-crown was hand-raised and has never met another amazon before, his gentle manners and great patience sounded like a good foundation for a potentially successful couple of new friends!

So I decided to go for it, and I went and picked him up yesterday, so.... Meet Donnie!

I spent a couple of hours in the outdoor aviary getting to know him after bringing him home yesterday, and then wanted to see how he'd react to Drogon, so I went and got him in his carrier. Donnie did not seem to mind at all, so after a while I got Drogon out of the carrier for a short introduction, and... Yep. Definitely a successful first meeting! They were slightly curious and a little bit cautious the both of them, but did not mind eachother much at all!

This morning I briefly let him meet Alexandrine Leia, pretty much already knowing that they're both super gentle, chill, and sweet, so I suspected they'd like eachother:

And then I spent some more hours chilling with him in the aviary, getting to know him, training step up (he's not too good at it, he hadn't been handled in a couple of months so hands are a little bit scary), and giving him a bunch of scritches.
After a few hours, I let Drogon join the party again! Things went GREAT today too.

I was giving Drogon a shower and Donnie decided he wanted to join in. He jumped on the swing where Drogon was, and I was trying to have either one of them sit on my hand while bathing instead... But nope. They both kept jumping back on the swing, insisting to take the bath together.

They have been bickering a little bit when Drogon jumps over to sit with Donnie, but Drogon's being a good boy and backing off, and all in all, things are looking great! They both seem really happy when the other is around, but as of yet mostly when they're at the other side of the aviary/room, hehe.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats to Donnie, and congrats Donnie! :wewin:

Love the bath pics when they are going All In. :D

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wow...Congrats! Glad they are all happy but I would avoid close contact with a new bird for awhile to make sure there was no latent illness...

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Beautiful bathtime photos! What glorious colors! :xflove:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congrats

Mitchan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Wow...Congrats! Glad they are all happy but I would avoid close contact with a new bird for awhile to make sure there was no latent illness...
Oh, thank you for your concern! :heart: He's had a full check-up at the avian vet's, test results showing healthy poop, great liver for an Amazon his age, no viruses, a little underweight but no cause for concern (likely partly due to him rarely flying - not a lot of muscles going on!), but overall a healthy little beeper! I usually wait to introduce a new bird to the flock for a week or two until the test results come back from the vet's, but his previous owners had already taken him in for the check-up before he moved in with me - and I only do a full 30 day quarantine if I adopt a bird from a multiple bird household or from a bit more questionable background. All clear from the vet and not having had contact with other birds for 18 years is feeling pretty safe right now! :joyful:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow! He is beautiful and that’s great that they got along so well. :)

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Congrats, he is beautiful and so is your flock. I love how Amazons love their showers :)

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Those shower pictures are wonderful!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue