• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
There was a moment of panic after the birds were picked up but it all worked out ok. I filled out live animal stickers for the carriers and Delta Cargo put them on the wrong carriers. I made sure to write the airway bill number on the carrier itself as well as on an envelope that I taped to the back. They each got the right bird but the cargo stickers had the wrong names on them. They are both girls and siblings so they look the same, but trying to sort that out after one of them drove 8 hours to pick the bird up would have been a nightmare.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m glad it worked out!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Christmas trees went up today, and Christopher is not happy. Her cage was moved a few feet to one side which I guess she took a huge issue with, and then there was a box of ornaments on the ground near her cage. She had to investigate it to see if she could bite it or not. When the big tree was done we sat together on one of the chairs so she could see it. She seems unimpressed due to the inconvenience it caused her. What a tough life she has. Felix sat down when he was done and I put her on the arm of the sofa so she could get to him. They spent some time together but her nails are very sharp and he asked if I would put her back in her cage because he was afraid she will rip his skin if she slips. She stepped up on my arm, and then bit me. Out of reflex, I dropped her because I wasn't giving her the chance to get me again. She landed on the sofa and then jumped down to the floor and ran across the floor to her cage with me behind her telling her what a rude bird she is. She climbed up the side and then over the door and into the cage. When she went inside I closed the door behind her. We only close the door if we're going to be gone most of the day, so she usually has the freedom to come and go as she pleases between the cage and her play stand. She was furious that I closed the door and walked away. I think she's been trying to put me at ease so she could sneak attack me. She loves her daddy but I'm just the person who feeds her. I tell her that bad things will happen to her if she's rude to me. She gets fed first thing before I make my coffee. Tomorrow the coffee comes first :)

Here we are sitting together on the chair before she turned traitor on me.

Chris.jpg

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
The Christmas trees went up today, and Christopher is not happy. Her cage was moved a few feet to one side which I guess she took a huge issue with, and then there was a box of ornaments on the ground near her cage. She had to investigate it to see if she could bite it or not. When the big tree was done we sat together on one of the chairs so she could see it. She seems unimpressed due to the inconvenience it caused her. What a tough life she has. Felix sat down when he was done and I put her on the arm of the sofa so she could get to him. They spent some time together but her nails are very sharp and he asked if I would put her back in her cage because he was afraid she will rip his skin if she slips. She stepped up on my arm, and then bit me. Out of reflex, I dropped her because I wasn't giving her the chance to get me again. She landed on the sofa and then jumped down to the floor and ran across the floor to her cage with me behind her telling her what a rude bird she is. She climbed up the side and then over the door and into the cage. When she went inside I closed the door behind her. We only close the door if we're going to be gone most of the day, so she usually has the freedom to come and go as she pleases between the cage and her play stand. She was furious that I closed the door and walked away. I think she's been trying to put me at ease so she could sneak attack me. She loves her daddy but I'm just the person who feeds her. I tell her that bad things will happen to her if she's rude to me. She gets fed first thing before I make my coffee. Tomorrow the coffee comes first :)

View attachment 417925
Christopher is quite picky :lol: Can we see the bite?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
At this point it looks more like a pinch. It will probably bruise, but it’s nothing like the bite that Chewy gave me this past summer.

I’m having my morning coffee and Christopher is giving me the stink eye from her cage but she hasn’t screamed once.

C2AF1BEE-F145-49B9-A1A1-0422362E8F6A.jpeg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

View attachment 417925
It’s a lovely photo, especially with the tree in the background. But I do detect a slight smirk that says “nothing like a good pinch to liven this little party up!”
I bought a large safety pumice perch for Lola and Henry to take the sharp edge off their nails…. Will let you know how that goes. Normally Henry is terrified of new perches but he adjusted to this one quickly so it got it’s place now in front of the food cup. I got a great deal on the two with free shipping! Woohoo

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some baby pictures for today and one of Boo Boo making a mess of his food.

Boby Bo is in front and Enzo is in the back. Chewie meets Enzo for the first time. It was so funny because Enzo puffed himself up like Chewie was going to be intimidated by him. Chewie looked at me as if to say "What am I supposed to do with that?" The last one is Boo Boo eating. He throws his food dishes so I had to get a 12-inch stone crock and put it on the bottom of his cage to stop him from doing it. He can slide the dish around but it's too heavy for him to flip.

Christopher seems to have gotten over herself. When I came home from work yesterday I said Hi to her as I walked by her stand. When I left her line of sight she started screaming. I stuck my head around the corner and she stopped. When I walked away she started doing it again. I just wanted to change clothes and get out of my work shirt. I don't touch any of my birds before I get out of the clothes I wear to the store. When I came back into the living room she lunged at me. When I told her to knock it off and step up she did exactly that, and then let me scratch her head. She's so fickle with me, but she seems to understand that biting me wasn't the best choice.

Attachments

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Enzo is going home this Friday. He is now 5 1/2 months old and his momma can't wait for him to get there. He eats really well on his own, but he's not quite ready to give up the hand feeding. His mom is going to get him through the last week or so of hand feeding. She feeds him when she visits so I'm confident she can handle it.

Bo is growing like crazy and is now almost as big as Enzo even though she's 6 weeks younger. Her tail is shorter, but her feet are much bigger, and while she hasn't started flying yet, I expect it will happen any day now. Bo is getting a special visitor today so I'm excited to see how that goes.

One of the worst parts of working at the bird store has happened. One of our elderly resident birds, Vinnie, has been declining for months and left us early this morning. While not always a friendly bird we love him for his grumpy attitude and sing-song voice when he decides to talk. Vinnie would step up long enough to be moved to his tree, but he's not a bird you can touch otherwise. He suffered a stroke yesterday morning not long after we arrived to get the store opened. We wrapped Vinnie in a towel and each of us held him for a while until the store owner came to pick him up. There I was standing at the register checking someone out with tears in my eyes while holding Vinnie. He's been in the family for 35 years, but he came to them as an adult so no one knows how old he really is. He will be missed.

Attachments

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry, I can imagine how hard a day it must have been for everyone. :sadhug:
Everyone was teary eyed most of the day. I’m glad the boss was able to pick him up so he could pass at home with her. I told her it’s the absolute worst part of working there. We know it will happen to all of them in time but it’s never easy when it does.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry! Those days are the hardest. Bless you all for cradling that sweet boy. He knew he was loved!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Everyone was teary eyed most of the day. I’m glad the boss was able to pick him up so he could pass at home with her. I told her it’s the absolute worst part of working there. We know it will happen to all of them in time but it’s never easy when it does.
So sorry must be so hard to say bye to them worse bit about my job too but also best bit that you know they were loved and well look after in their final years days

you have amazing job your very brave though I got bite by my next door neighbours Africa grey that was painful enough

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Enzo is going home this Friday. He is now 5 1/2 months old and his momma can't wait for him to get there. He eats really well on his own, but he's not quite ready to give up the hand feeding. His mom is going to get him through the last week or so of hand feeding. She feeds him when she visits so I'm confident she can handle it.

Bo is growing like crazy and is now almost as big as Enzo even though she's 6 weeks younger. Her tail is shorter, but her feet are much bigger, and while she hasn't started flying yet, I expect it will happen any day now. Bo is getting a special visitor today so I'm excited to see how that goes.

One of the worst parts of working at the bird store has happened. One of our elderly resident birds, Vinnie, has been declining for months and left us early this morning. While not always a friendly bird we love him for his grumpy attitude and sing-song voice when he decides to talk. Vinnie would step up long enough to be moved to his tree, but he's not a bird you can touch otherwise. He suffered a stroke yesterday morning not long after we arrived to get the store opened. We wrapped Vinnie in a towel and each of us held him for a while until the store owner came to pick him up. There I was standing at the register checking someone out with tears in my eyes while holding Vinnie. He's been in the family for 35 years, but he came to them as an adult so no one knows how old he really is. He will be missed.
Oh how sad a day it nust have been for you all. :sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Rest in peace Vinnie

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
A loving goodbye from all who cared for him is sweet sorrow. …. Have a beautiful flight home Vinnie.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our boy Enzo goes home this morning. He is down to the last bit of hand feeding and taking it more out of habit than anything. It's no longer his main source of nutrition. Enzo loves chopped veggies and pallets. I give my babies nuts to play with so they can learn to crack them, but they never have seeds when they are with me. We're going to miss this little man, but like Freya, we'll get to see him often.

IMG_8032.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The year is almost over and it's been a crazy one. We added Chewy to the flock and 2 pairs of Eclectus, a single male Eclectus, and a breeding pair of greys. We had 6 baby red-fronted macaws, 2 baby green wings, and 6 baby greys in addition to the 28 baby conures, 1 citron cockatoo, and 48 cockatiel chicks. The harlequin egg stopped developing so there won't be any more baby macaws until next year. While researching macaw breeding I came across someone who estimated that large macaws, not including the hyacinth, get an average of 600 hand feedings between hatching and weaning. The red-fronted and greys probably get half of that because they wean so quickly. The cockatiels go directly to the store from the nest box so we don't feed them. We went through 140 lb of baby formula and who knows how many thousands of individual hand-feedings. It's kind of insane, but we both love it. It won't be too long before it starts all over again. In the meantime, we're going to take a vacation for Christmas. It's been 3 years since our last Christmas vacation and it's overdue. I lost a cousin to drug addiction this fall, so I'm going to reconnect with family that I haven't seen in years. There are a lot of memories to share from better times. We have a grandbaby that will be celebrating his first Christmas, and a niece that will probably have her baby before the end of the year.

Whatever you celebrate, I hope it's fantastic, and if you don't celebrate anything I hope you can enjoy a few days of quiet relaxation.

We get to start this all over again next year.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We're back from vacation and getting settled back into our life with birds. A new B&G macaw joined the flock at the store while I was away and I was able to spend some time with him today. It took a little work to get him on my arm but once we sat down and spent a few minutes together he was putty in my hands. I don't know the whole store but he's very sweet and we'll be able to find him a home without too much effort. Lucky for me, Sandy was already in her night cage or I would have gotten a severe tongue lashing from her. She's already put out that I was gone for a while week. What a hard life she has.

This is Levi. I found just the right spot while scratching his head.

Happy New Year. In just a few hours we get to start it all over again.

IMG_8270.jpeg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Levi looks so blissed out.