• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful pics of awesome fids :)

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We pulled two eggs from Victor and Valentina. She always seems to drop the first one in the middle of the cage then she lays another 2 or 3 in the nest box. Last year she starved two chicks to death so we decided to pull the eggs instead. That’s where Chichi came from. One of the eggs is fertile. The other I’m just not sure about yet. It might be a few more days before we can tell. If the eggs hatch we’ll have harlequin chicks around December 1st.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why would she starve chicks? Was she hand fed from hatching herself?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why would she starve chicks? Was she hand fed from hatching herself?
The pair has a long successful breeding history. When they came to us we made sure to our them next to the same green wing pair they were next to for years so they would feel like they were in a familiar environment. The first chick that died didn’t seem like a huge thing. They were in a new place and maybe they hadn’t fully settled in yet. When the second chick died we realized that neither of them had been fed. The male fed her and she sat on them but she never fed them. We pulled the other eggs and the last fertile egg was Chichi. We decided to pull the eggs and incubate them ourselves instead of letting her starve another clutch.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, I guess why they do this is a mystery. Better safe than sorry!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s fertile so I’m optimistic.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's been a quiet week. Well, as quiet as it can be for me. The harlequin egg continues to develop well so I'm just leaving it alone. I check it every 2 or 3 days now to limit the number of times it gets touched. The other egg wasn't fertile so it was discarded. I believe the pair will lay again. Our red-fronted macaw, Mango, will be going home to her original family after all. I'm so happy that they are able to make it happen after all. The other two girls went for their vet check this week and everything is good with them. I had placed small plastic bands on their legs so I could tell them apart. Mango chewed them off and then took her own off. She's bigger than they are so it's easy to tell them apart, but I picked up a microchip reader just in case. She will be shipped out on Wednesday of this week. Here is a picture of her laying on her back.

Sandy has been a mess this week. Last weekend I was holding her while talking to a customer. She kept reaching out and kissing me on the cheek. She got a little overstimulated and bit me on the chin. She immediately looked at me like "On no, what have I done?" She didn't hurt me and I think she was as surprised as I was by it. I just excused myself from the customer and put her back in her cage. I also had a few drops of blood to clean off because her bottom beak scraped the skin just a little. I bleed easily so it doesn't take much. When I put her in her cage she sat on the perch with her head hung down like she was ashamed and embarrassed. Since then she will only kiss me on the cheek and not like before. She just taps me with her tongue and then pulls her head away. The poor girl just got overly excited and I didn't take it personally. She still loves me but I think she's being very cautious not to get too worked up. I've had the last few Saturdays off to cut down on payroll expenses while business is slow. I went in to get the store ready for opening after someone called in sick and she screamed her head off until I took her out of her cage. She was very happy to see me. After I put her on her tree I dropped a small cheese cracker in her food dish as a treat. Sandy pins her eyes when she's happy and she's obviously thrilled to see that cracker in her dish. She picked it up and made all of her happy bird sounds.

IMG_7755.jpeg IMG_7815.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love red-fronted macaws. I don't enjoy their scream because they are demanding babies when they are hungry. They are little, but full of sass and attitude, yet almost always up for a cuddle.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He's gorgeous. Obviously your fault on the pinch.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
His favorite human was in the room and not able to take him from me so obviously I was the one in the wrong. Luckily it was a very light pinch and not a full bite. He put on a good pout when he got chastised for being rude.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful birds :)

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww he's beautiful. Macaw pinches are basically kisses don't you know, LOL.