• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does Chewy fly? If so, I can understand her concern, but why she didn't voice it privately, I do not understand.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does Chewy fly? If so, I can understand her concern, but why she didn't voice it privately, I do not understand.
Chewy doesn’t fly. He was clipped when I got him and the flight feathers haven’t grown back. I think he may have been clipped for a large part of his life. He doesn’t show any desire to fly and he doesn’t make any attempt to.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Chewy.

This is why people should not decide they're suddenly experts. The internet causes a lot of that, unfortunately.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Its a shame Chewy can't fly, flight training is going to be huge for my baby. Criticism, whether deserved or not, should always be done respectfully. :(

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The Chewy and outdoor flight thing is why I probably come across as pedantic in some of my posts, or replies to other people's posts, belaboring context and details.

Personally, I think it's a fair comment to encourage the use of restraint while outdoors when further context isn't offered (flightless or free-flight trained).

I've also reported photos on the forum based on...

Please do not post photos of birds in dangerous situations.
Photos of your bird unrestrained outside (example: no harness or carrier). Please be aware if you choose to bring your birds outside without a harness or in a secure cage that you place them at risk. Even birds with clipped wings and who have never shown any interest or ability to fly can get airborne with the right gust of wind or if something unexpectedly frightens them and in the excitement of the moment can fly away or into danger. We recommend using flight suits, harnesses or closed cages when bringing birds outside.
If you see a photo of a bird in a potentially dangerous situation, please report it. We do not need a dozen members repeating the same thing over and over again. This can feel like harassment and put the posting member on the defensive.

With photos like the one posted in message #318, I think they should contain a disclaimer of sorts.

We never know who is reading and what their level of expertise is.

All that said, your customer didn't need to resort to threats.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Once those flight feathers grow in I may discover that he is able to fly just not interested in it. If that’s the case he won’t ever go out again because then it would be dangerous. I guess I just bristle when someone who doesn’t know the situation and doesn’t ask takes it upon themselves to chastise.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is baby Bo on the left and her big brother Enzo on the right. Enzo hatched on June 16th and Bo on August 2nd. I'm sure Bo is going to be the bigger bird when they are fully grown. She's still got those huge feet that she hasn't grown into yet. Enzo is out of that stage where he looks like Gonzo and Bo is the one that looks like Gonzo now.

IMG_1679.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Enzo has graduated to a full-size cage. He spends the day climbing all over it and he loves to extra space he has now. His sister, Bo, has moved into the rabbit hutch he was in and she likes the extra space too. The first day she climbed all over it and exhausted herself. The way they sleep as babies just bothers me. It's so cute but also looks like they just fell over dead. They did in a way - dead asleep. Freya used to just pass out and fall over. She would sleep hard for 5 or 10 minutes and then be up and running again. Talk about a power nap.

IMG_7666.jpeg IMG_1692.jpeg

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Enzo has graduated to a full-size cage. He spends the day climbing all over it and he loves to extra space he has now. His sister, Bo, has moved into the rabbit hutch he was in and she likes the extra space too. The first day she climbed all over it and exhausted herself. The way they sleep as babies just bothers me. It's so cute but also looks like they just fell over dead. They did in a way - dead asleep. Freya used to just pass out and fall over. She would sleep hard for 5 or 10 minutes and then be up and running again. Talk about a power nap.

Years ago, I had an olive headed lorikeet, and he liked to sleep on the bottom of his cage, on his back with his feet straight up in the air. The first time I found him like that, I screamed, and he quick popped over and started screaming with me. I knew lories were a little different, but I had never encountered any bird sleep like that!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Years ago, I had an olive headed lorikeet, and he liked to sleep on the bottom of his cage, on his back with his feet straight up in the air. The first time I found him like that, I screamed, and he quick popped over and started screaming with me. I knew lories were a little different, but I had never encountered any bird sleep like that!
Oh my! :embarassed:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We get lories at the store each year and there is always one that will sleep on its back under a good dish. Scares me every time I see it.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our little girl Mango will not be going home after all. The woman who was going to take her home this week got in touch with me to let me know that wasn't going to happen. A family member has become very ill and she will be taking care of them. A bird just doesn't fit into her life now. It won't take long to find her forever family.

IMG_7481.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our little girl Mango will not be going home after all. The woman who was going to take her home this week got in touch with me to let me know that wasn't going to happen. A family member has become very ill and she will be taking care of them. A bird just doesn't fit into her life now. It won't take long to find her forever family.

View attachment 415788
Aw I'm sorry that she lost her home but anyone would be lucky to welcome her into their lives. Hopefully she'll find a forever home soon.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Enzo had his first flight this morning. He’s been beating us to death with his wings for the last few weeks. He will get out in the island and blows everything away with the breeze he generates. This morning he jumped into the air and went across the house. He landed gracefully on a table in front of the window without breaking anything. Now we start training. Here he is enjoying some grapes a few days ago.

Our Harlequin pair is on eggs and I am pretty sure the Greenwings are about to give us a fall clutch. Let’s see how that goes.

5AB4B174-787F-48E7-8117-4A11CA0414D2.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Enzo had his first flight this morning. He’s been beating us to death with his wings for the last few weeks. He will get out in the island and blows everything away with the breeze he generates. This morning he jumped into the air and went across the house. He landed gracefully on a table in front of the window without breaking anything. Now we start training. Here he is enjoying some grapes a few days ago.

Our Harlequin pair is on eggs and I am pretty sure the Greenwings are about to give us a fall clutch. Let’s see how that goes.

View attachment 416047
Yay! Good job Enzo you handsome boy!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is baby Bo after her morning feeding. Both of them are growing like crazy. I think Enzo will be ready to go home later this month, and Bo will probably go home very late this year or in January of next year.

Bo.jpeg