• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Such a cute dino.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
What a fluffy dinosaur!:heart2:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our baby boy, Juda is heading off to his new momma. He's nervous, but he will do fine. This is the only time of year I'm comfortable shipping out of Phoenix. One little girl from the first clutch is waiting to go home. Her momma is coming to get her later this month.

IMG_7548.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our baby boy, Juda is heading off to his new momma. He's nervous, but he will do fine. This is the only time of year I'm comfortable shipping out of Phoenix. One little girl from the first clutch is waiting to go home. Her momma is coming to get her later this month.

View attachment 414472
Aww safe flight little one! :heart:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Juda has arrived safe and sound and is with his new momma. That's a relief and I'll be able to sleep tonight. I have conures shipping out tomorrow morning so it's another trip to the airport and a few hours of worry before they arrive. Luckily it's a short and direct flight.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This little brat, Enzo, scared me to death. I walked by his cage and he was laying like this sound asleep. I did what anyone else would do... I tickled him. Enzo is a total lovebug. His momma comes to visit him 3 times a week and he just melts into her arms. She picks him up and he puts his head under her chin and just falls asleep. When he wakes up he gives a little wiggle and she puts him on a towel. He goes to the bathroom and then crawls right back into her arms. They also have Ivy, the first of our red-fronted macaws that went home this year. I can tell he's going to cause her to have some jealousy issues when he finally comes home.

IMG_7560.jpeg Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 6.48.33 PM.jpg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
That would scare the pudding out of me too.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't been able to handle Chewy for the last few weeks because his nails have become razors and open my skin at the slightest touch. I finally had an opportunity to take him in for grooming and boy was he dramatic over it. He's impossible to hand over to the groomer without one of us getting scratched pretty bad so we take him into the small bathroom and put him on the porcelain sink. Macaws can't get any grip on it and it makes them easy to secure them in a towel. Chewy gave the groomer a run for his money but he finally got him wrapped up. Once he's wrapped it's all noise and complaining but no attempt to bite. He honked and screamed the whole time. When he was done the groomer put him on the floor and he ran right to me. He's always a cuddle bug after being groomed and I even let him up on my shoulder for a few minutes while he got himself sorted out. He's molting right at the moment and looks rough, but his beak and nails are in great shape now. Here he is giving his best pout. When it was time to go I opened the door to the carrier and he practically dove in.

IMG_7591.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is funny how they are so tough with strangers and complain like crazy about being made into a temporary burrito but it is even funnier how sooky they are when they are able to get back to their person.

Poor Chewy needs some extra scritches and a nut or two for being so pretty.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
For all the noise, posturing, and even the occasional bites, he's just a big baby. I took him to the toy wall and offered to buy him a toy but he kept putting his head under my chin and hiding his face. I like it when he's cuddly and not shredding my arm with his nails.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
For all the noise, posturing, and even the occasional bites, he's just a big baby. I took him to the toy wall and offered to buy him a toy but he kept putting his head under my chin and hiding his face. I like it when he's cuddly and not shredding my arm with his nails.
And what an adorable baby he is! :heart2:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Shezbug - several nuts are in order. Walnuts & almonds. His pout is truly tragic.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Shezbug - several nuts are in order. Walnuts & almonds. His pout is truly tragic.
I tried but he was so put out that he wouldn't take one from me. I'm going to throw some extra treats into his food dish today. I had to run to the airport to drop off a bird for shipment so I haven't had a chance to see him yet this morning. Hopefully, all is forgiven.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
After I read this I went back to look at the pic and OMG :laughing7: I have never seen a Pouty Bird like this before.
@BrianB you have some serious sucking up to do!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
After I read this I went back to look at the pic and OMG :laughing7: I have never seen a Pouty Bird like this before.
@BrianB you have some serious sucking up to do!
I gave him lots of love when I fed him and he's a little better. He made very dainty steps across his perch this morning and then he was hesitant to step onto my arm. The poor boy is unsure of his grip now that his nails aren't super sharp daggers. I waited far too long to get his nails groomed. I'm going to have to pamper his bruised ego for the next few days.

The store has been invited to bring some birds to a fundraiser put on by a local news station personality. We're going to take Jasper with us. He's a big green wing from the store. I can handle him, but one of the girls I work with has a much better relationship with him. He's very big and he was raised to play very rough. He's playful with her but goes overboard with me and I have to keep him in line or he becomes impossible. I thought about taking Sandy, but I'm concerned because she's fully flighted. Well, her wings are intact, but she rarely flies. At her age, it's so much work to get those old bones into the air that she just doesn't bother. In the last 3 years, I've seen her fly 2 or 3 times, and only when she's fallen off of her perch. She can be pretty rude to people and I don't want to take the chance of her biting someone. I might take one of the baby green wings even though they are mine and not part of the store flock. Chewie is clipped, but the last time I took him to an event with another bird is when he gave me that bad bite. However, if I hold him and do not let my coworker touch him then he won't have any need to be jealous over me touching another bird. My chances of being his chew toy will be much lower. I'm just not sure.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
All is right with the world, at least as far as Chewy is concerned. We went outside for some sunshine but he was not impressed with the big open sky above him. It did let him show off his colors and he got to talk to the neighbor's cockatoo over the fence.

He is a stunning shade of red, but I'm biased.

IMG_7607.jpeg

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All is right with the world, at least as far as Chewy is concerned. We went outside for some sunshine but he was not impressed with the big open sky above him. It did let him show off his colors and he got to talk to the neighbor's cockatoo over the fence.

He is a stunning shade of red, but I'm biased.

View attachment 414917
Chewy is just GORGEOUS! He is a wonderful piece of nature's creation.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So this picture of Chewy outside in the sunlight started a firestorm on Instagram. One of my customers who purchased some conures from me took it upon herself to chastise me for taking him outside without a harness or some kind of restraint. She informed me what my decision should have been regarding bird safety and included what brand of bird harness I need to use on him. She even said she wants to continue supporting me as a breeder but if I don't change the way I do things she won't, and I'm a bad influence to people on the internet because the bird wasn't restrained. I won't be doing business with her again simply due to the interaction we had over the conures. There was a constant bombardment of questions to the point where they became intrusive in my daily life. At one point I considered refunding her money and suggesting she find the birds elsewhere. As a responsible bird owner, if I had any doubts about his safety I would not have taken him outside in the first place.