• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
She is large & in charge. And those people have their own vending machine!
I thought it was a bar fridge- looks like the drinks fridges at the local pubs that show all the premixed drinks they have on offer lol.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Glad Diego/Enzo has found his special home.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
There was someone who was in line for Diego due to his slightly bent beak she wouldn't make a decision and commit to him. I finally told her that he is now 90 days old and I need a decision or I would move to the next person in line. He's at the age where he needs to be socialized with his forever family so he isn't traumatized when he leaves our home. Her family was pressuring her to only get a bird that is perfect and the beak was too much of an issue for her so she finally decided to pass on him.

The couple that has Ivy has chosen to add Diego to their flock. They come to visit and spend time with both babies, but Diego seems to gravitate toward them and as soon as one of them picks him up, he settles and relaxes into their arms. Within a few minutes, he falls asleep. They have named him Enzo, which happens to be the middle name of my youngest grandchild. Sounds like a good fit for me.

View attachment 413545
What lucky ducks!

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is Christopher trying to intimidate me. It didn't work, but she tried. She has the largest cage in the house and the baby African Greys are in a smaller cage on the other side of the room. During the day when Christopher is on her tree, I put the baby greys into her cage. It gives them room to explore and they aren't on top of each other causing a fuss. Christopher is not happy about it at all. It's not like she spends the day in her cage anyway so why not let the babies have some room to explore and build their self-confidence? She still thinks I'm going to be afraid of her when she does that.

IMG_7330.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well that would work on me!! :roflmao::heart:
She thinks she's a big scary bird sometimes. She's tried to sneak up on me and bite me from behind but I turn on her at the last minute and tell her that bad things will happen to her if she bites me so she better mind her manners. She still tries though.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She thinks she's a big scary bird sometimes. She's tried to sneak up on me and bite me from behind but I turn on her at the last minute and tell her that bad things will happen to her if she bites me so she better mind her manners. She still tries though.
What bad things can happen to her if she becomes naughty??

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What bad things can happen to her if she becomes naughty??
If I'm sweeping when she's being rude to me I'll wave the broom handle at her. She bit the metal handle once and the look on her face made it clear that was not what she expected. Now that she knows giving that a chomp doesn't really do anything she just backs away. The few times she's come close to nipping at me I make her step up and put her back in the cage. I don't latch the door, but I push it closed. She gets it and will hang out inside for a while and pout then push the door open and climb back out. Most of the time it's all posturing to see what she can get away with. I remind myself that she is very much a juvenile bird and just pushing the boundaries. I don't mind that so much, but I draw the line on her biting me just for fun.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I'm sweeping when she's being rude to me I'll wave the broom handle at her. She bit the metal handle once and the look on her face made it clear that was not what she expected. Now that she knows giving that a chomp doesn't really do anything she just backs away. The few times she's come close to nipping at me I make her step up and put her back in the cage. I don't latch the door, but I push it closed. She gets it and will hang out inside for a while and pout then push the door open and climb back out. Most of the time it's all posturing to see what she can get away with. I remind myself that she is very much a juvenile bird and just pushing the boundaries. I don't mind that so much, but I draw the line on her biting me just for fun.
Excellent!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is clearly a formidable chick! Any word on if it's male or female? I can never get over how big their beaks are this young.

Thanks for sharing BrianB & congratulations BirdyDarby!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is clearly a formidable chick! Any word on if it's male or female? I can never get over how big their beaks are this young.

Thanks for sharing BrianB & congratulations BirdyDarby!
No idea yet about the gender. The DNA samples are on their way, but the lab is in Tallahassee FL so who knows how long the delay will be. I'm sure everything will be delayed due to the hurricane.

I spend a lot of time touching their beak when they are babies as well as the rest of their bodies. They understand that I'm not afraid of that beak and I won't hesitate to put my fingers on it when I need to.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A friend of mine brought her shamrock macaw to the store for grooming today. She's quite the sassy girl, but she's beautiful. I got to hold her for a while but she only likes to step up onto an arm, but won't tolerate being touched by someone she doesn't know. My friend said she's a bit of a floozy too. She's found her on other bird's trees acting shameless. One afternoon the girl and one of the boys managed to get off of their tree stands and have a rendezvous on the sofa. I've heard stories about her but haven't had a chance to see her until today.

Sandy was in a mood today. She was extra cuddly with me but a complete witch to everyone else. I was sitting with her in the grooming area and she got the sense that she was about to get some work done. I was sitting with my back to the window and Sandy crawled over to the chair next to me. She got up on the very back of it and was looking at the people on the sidewalk outside. A woman walked up to the window and Sandy spread her wings and started to posture and threaten her. I wish I had my phone with me. I did get some pictures of her looking out the window. She was very offended about getting groomed, but she got over it. One side of her beak grows faster than the other so she gets it smoothed out. Her nails become daggers every few months and she tears my arm up when that happens. When I picked her up afterward she was all kisses and cuddles. She's so fickle sometimes.

Here are Lala and Sandy.

IMG_7442.jpeg IMG_7454.jpeg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for sharing these photos!! Lala is a gorgeous macaw! And so is your matriarch, Sandy…I just love her!

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
"Sandy was extra cuddly with me but a complete witch to everyone else" LOL
Parrots are the embodiment of an eternal pubescent teenager; could love you one moment while the next they act like you just insulted their dinosaur ancestors!