• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
A face only a mother could love, but baby birds still manage to be precious. Killdeers nest around here and I've been watching a specific mother for the last month; she had four eggs and they hatched last night! Cute as buttons and already fully feathered, unlike the majority of bird hatchlings.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A face only a mother could love, but baby birds still manage to be precious. Killdeers nest around here and I've been watching a specific mother for the last month; she had four eggs and they hatched last night! Cute as buttons and already fully feathered, unlike the majority of bird hatchlings.
It's amazing how different species mature. We had some morning doves use a planter as a nest a few years ago. She built a nest in a few days, laid eggs, and sat faithfully. The chicks hatched and in 2 weeks they were fully feathered and fledging. Two days later they were gone. So very different from parrots. The red-fronted macaws mature quickly. They wean in 90 - 110 days. The greenwing will be a 5 - 6 month investment in our time. It might be ready to go home in November.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
greenwing will be a 5 - 6 month investment in our time. It might be ready to go home in November.
I would name him Mrityunjay (a sanskrit word- meaning: who conquered death) :heart:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A few weeks ago I bought out the remnants of AZ Parrots in Glendale AZ. Today I went and picked up the last of the cages. Christopher is getting a larger cage and she's going to love the extra space. There used to be a hyacinth in the cage so she's going to look tiny in it. I also found his massive manzanita perch for Chewie. Once I get it scrubbed and disinfected I'll see if it will really fit in his cage. It might be too heavy. Hopefully, he will find it a challenge and not break it in a few days.

The guy who cleans cages for me helped us move the cages today and as I suspected, Chewie lunged at me after he saw him. It's a jealousy issue for sure. The guy said he was sorry, he didn't mean for Chewie to fall madly in love with him. This is the same guy that Sandy is cheating on me with, so I'm going to have to keep my eye on him. Just kidding. He's a nice young man and really helps us out with the cleaning. If Chewie loves him, I'm ok with it, as long as he keeps that beak off of me.

IMG_6367.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A few weeks ago I bought out the remnants of AZ Parrots in Glendale AZ. Today I went and picked up the last of the cages.
I did not know that they retired. I talked to Dee years ago about a macaw before I bought Michael.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did not know that they retired. I talked to Dee years ago about a macaw before I bought Michael.
Her husband Gerry, passed near the end of 2019. He did most of the work with the birds and Dee managed the business side of it. Once he was gone it was too much for her to do all of it herself so she started to wind things down. The pairs that produced Freya, and ChiChi are both from her. I also have Gerry's green wing, Natcho, that he raised from hatching. Dee had called the store a few weeks ago about some chicks and it had been a while since I talked to her. She mentioned she was moving and had a lot of equipment she wanted to get rid of. We talked some and decided to buy her last pair of African Greys, and what was left of the business. The name will become part of my company and we're going to see about bringing their custom seed mix back into production. The whole family has moved to Florida and now she gets to enjoy her retirement with her children and grandchildren.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry to hear about her husband passing. She seemed to be a very nice person.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
A few weeks ago I bought out the remnants of AZ Parrots in Glendale AZ. Today I went and picked up the last of the cages. Christopher is getting a larger cage and she's going to love the extra space. There used to be a hyacinth in the cage so she's going to look tiny in it. I also found his massive manzanita perch for Chewie. Once I get it scrubbed and disinfected I'll see if it will really fit in his cage. It might be too heavy. Hopefully, he will find it a challenge and not break it in a few days.

The guy who cleans cages for me helped us move the cages today and as I suspected, Chewie lunged at me after he saw him. It's a jealousy issue for sure. The guy said he was sorry, he didn't mean for Chewie to fall madly in love with him. This is the same guy that Sandy is cheating on me with, so I'm going to have to keep my eye on him. Just kidding. He's a nice young man and really helps us out with the cleaning. If Chewie loves him, I'm ok with it, as long as he keeps that beak off of me.

View attachment 409984
That's a beautiful piece of wood! Almost too nice for a monster like Chewie haha. Today I cut down a nice, medium sized olive tree at work, which I'm going to have a ball with turning it into perches. Recently started volunteering at a new parrot rescue so my macaw fever is through the roof.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Christopher has moved into the Cal-Cage and looks so tiny in it. This cage used to hold a hyacinth. I'm still trying to find bowls that fit better than my metal ones. There are a few tubs of dishes in the garage so I'm sure I have a few that will work. We all have at least one of those, don't we? We tried to get the cage through the door and it got stuck on the padlock hole for the door. We needed less than half an inch more space for it to fit through. Once we had it back on the walkway I remembered how easy these things come apart. It broke down into 5 pieces that easily went through the door and quickly snapped back together. If my brain was working better we could have moved it inside from the garage. SHe's a little put out by it, but I'm sure she will get over it.

IMG_6390.jpeg

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Wow!!! That’s what I call a cage! Are hyacinths that big?! I’ve only seen one and I can’t remember if it was any bigger than the macaws…

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Brains never work when you need them to, otherwise life would be too easy lol. That cage looks great regardless! I'm sure Christopher will appreciate every inch of space. I also love that rope perch, I've ordered an 8ft one to go across a large portion of my planned aviary.

howdymjm

Meeting neighbors
Christopher has moved into the Cal-Cage and looks so tiny in it. This cage used to hold a hyacinth. I'm still trying to find bowls that fit better than my metal ones. There are a few tubs of dishes in the garage so I'm sure I have a few that will work. We all have at least one of those, don't we? We tried to get the cage through the door and it got stuck on the padlock hole for the door. We needed less than half an inch more space for it to fit through. Once we had it back on the walkway I remembered how easy these things come apart. It broke down into 5 pieces that easily went through the door and quickly snapped back together. If my brain was working better we could have moved it inside from the garage. SHe's a little put out by it, but I'm sure she will get over it.

View attachment 410190
cal cages are great. shame not made anymore.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sandy was very put out yesterday. Someone surrendered a Moluccan cockatoo to the store and for the last 2 years, her night cage was next to a greater sulfur crested. To keep all of the big cockatoos together, Sandy was moved to the other side of the room to be near other macaws. She's not happy about it. Normally she starts screaming as soon as I enter the building in the morning. I usually get there just before 9am so by 5 after I'm trying to get her out of her cage so she can stop. Yesterday she didn't start screaming until 9:30 and when I went to get her out of her cage, she wasn't there. I found her in her new location on the other side of the room. She was one angry old lady. Once I put her on her tree stand and gave her some food she quieted down, but she was in a mood all day. I was able to sit with her yesterday afternoon and she made it really obvious that she wasn't happy. I made sure she had lots of kisses and when I put her away for the night I gave her a handful of cashews. This old gal does not like change.

IMG_6434.jpeg

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This site may have crocks that fit. They are heavy duty plastic. I got some for my parrots California Cages: Parrot Bowls and Waterers, Page 3 They do list dimensions for each size.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor old girl has a ton a pin feathers, too! I'm sure that hasn't helped.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie got his new perch today. It was bigger than I thought once I had it in his cage, but he's happy with it. Everyone got new wooden hanging toys today and is hard at work turning them into toothpicks.

@Kassiani - Sandy does not like having her pin feathers worked on. I can usually get a few on the back of her neck but that's about it. She always has at least one tail feather that takes months to fully open up. We usually do it when she gets groomed. That way she can protest all she wants but can't bite anyone over it.

@Toy - I looked at those and realized we have some at work. I'm going to get a few and see how they fit. Christopher is only in her cage at night and doesn't seem to eat or drink much when she's in there. At least she can't pull out the bowls I have in there now. She does that sometimes.

Rubie is still with us. She's a doll, but long term this isn't the best place for her. Her mom is trying to resolve her housing issues, and once that happens I think things will get better for her. This bird is a riot. She taps the back of my head with her beak and says BOOP. She crawled down onto my chest and just when I think she is about to settle down and cuddle she sticks her head into my shirt and grabs some chest hair. It's very rude.

We had 3 greenwing eggs in the incubator. One was discovered to have a hole in it so we pulled it. The other had started developing then stopped and it was removed too. We pulled it on July 7th and there wasn't an embryo visible at the time. I'm guessing it was laid earlier that week, and it should put that hatching date at the end of the month or the first few days of August. I wanted to leave the eggs but we were having work done in the kitchen and they don't like strangers. I didn't want them destroying the eggs out of agitation. I really should put cameras on those nest boxes as I did with the Eclectus. I've given my friend a heads up that when she house sits for us in August there will be a lot of babies to feed.

Here is Chewie stroking a pose on his new perch. Destroying this one will be a chore.

IMG_6481.jpeg