• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can’t stay mad at a face like that! A parrot destroying your clothes just gives you the excuse to go out and buy new ones. ;)
unfortunately they are my work shirts provided by the store. I’m going to replace the plastic buttons with metal ones and better stitching to hold them in place. If I can’t find metal ones then maybe heavier plastic buttons. At least he doesn’t eat them. He just crushes them and drops the pieces or holds it in his mouth until he gets bored with it.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie is such a good boy! Give him a kiss for me

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Things have been very quiet here, relatively speaking when you have a house full of macaws. With two pairs sitting on eggs the rest of the flock has been a little more settled and calm. The store has been crazy busy and short-staffed. I'll never ask any of them to do something I wouldn't so I jumped in and cleaned cages for part of the day on Friday. Another employee came in later in the afternoon to finish the cage cleaning so I took Sandy with me and sat down for a while. She was very moody but I eventually won her over and she let me give her some love. She was in a foul mood on Monday, but I had taken Chewie to work with me and she's always furious when he's there. Here in Sandy getting her head scratched on Friday.

IMG_5933.jpeg

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Seems like everyone these days are plagued with staffing issues! I would love to volunteer at your store, too bad I live so far away. Just applied to local rescue to cure my bird fever till I’m in the new house!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Seems like everyone these days are plagued with staffing issues! I would love to volunteer at your store, too bad I live so far away. Just applied to local rescue to cure my bird fever till I’m in the new house!
I usually tell the owner that it is what it is. Young adults can be a challenge in so many ways. We have a few that are amazing and others that try my patience. Somehow we always make it work. I admire the owner though. She's 10 years older than I am and some days she works circles around us all.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie and I went to a local elementary school today for their summer school program. They were doing a lesson on wild animals in the rain forest and tropical jungles. My boy was a grumpy bird today. I take him to work on Mondays but didn't this week because it's been very hot the last few days. Even though I live less than a mile from the store I don't want to stress him out in the heat. I've disrupted his routine and he's a little put out over it. Chewie isn't a big talker, but he wouldn't say anything at all. I tried to get him to crack a walnut so he could show off that can opener on his face, but he wasn't interested. The kids had a good time so that's all that matters. When we came home, he decided he had a lot to say so he unloaded on Christopher. I don't know what he was saying to her, but she wasn't going to take it and she gave him a tongue lashing in return. You can almost see her saying "Come over here and say that to my face!" I've got him scheduled for an event at an indoor summer camp next week. I'm going to try to get back on his good side so he can really show off. There is a lot of other crazy bird stuff going on here. A new aspect of our breeding business is taking shape. A green-wing egg is in the process of hatching right now, and baby red-fronted macaws are due any time now. I expect to be sleep deprived for the next 6 months, but I love it.

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 9.30.15 PM.jpg

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
he decided he had a lot to say so he unloaded on Christopher. I don't know what he was saying to her, but she wasn't going to take it and she gave him a tongue lashing in return. You can almost see her saying "Come over here and say that to my face!
Oh my god! I laughed so hard!! I wish you could record their conversation.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Christopher does this thing where I'll say "Big Scary Bird" to her and she will spread her wings out behind her, lean forward, and open her mouth wide. When she does it I tell her how scary she is and that I'm very impressed. When I came in with Chewie he started mumbling really loud and leaning toward her. He's saying something, but it's never been clear enough for me to understand it. She took offense to whatever he said so she spread her wing and started to lunge at him. I'm laughing and trying to get my phone out to record it. Chewie started rocking back and forth on my arm and when he got close to her he would go "Raah!" He did it 4 or 5 times before I could get my phone unlocked and get a picture of them.

Christopher is upset because her stand is in a different place right now. We had a water leak in the kitchen and some cabinets had to come down for the repair. She will be even more upset when she has to come into the office with me while they repair the drywall and paint it. You know how these guys deal with change in general. Being in a new location, and Chewie coming through from the garage got her really defensive. It's a riot watching them express themselves like that. In her normal location, I can walk by with Chewie and they just look at each other and they pass. This was completely different and so funny.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hearing the news about new green wings is so exciting!
Im being cautious about this one. It’s been 36 hours with not a lot of progress on getting out of the shell. We decided to intervene when we could hear the chick chirping and see the egg moving but no progress being made on hatching.

I very slowly went around the egg with a small pick and chipped away at the shell. It was very thick so it’s no wonder the little one was having problems. I very slowly worked through parts of the membrane and stopped when I came across a vessel. Even dark and dried I don’t want to damage them. I would say we managed to get about 80% of the way around the egg before we put it back in the incubator. There was a lot of motion after that so we’re keeping an eye on the chick in case we need to help a little more. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. The hand feeding is a breeze. Helping a chick hatch is terrifying. If it makes it, the brooder is going to be full. I moved the conure chicks out of it into a larger tub. They still get supplemental heating but they will be find there. The brooder now has 4 baby greys, hopefully a baby green wing will join in the next few hours and we have a baby red-fronted macaw that hatched either today or yesterday. I knew we were close and she has another 3 or 4 eggs in there. It’s going to be busy for the next few weeks.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We watched and waited while the little one wiggled around and pushed the shell away. Then it stopped and I took a look at it through the crack. The inner membrane was dried and stuck to the top of the head and around the right wing. I very carefully separated it from the head and it pulled away from the shoulder. A few more wiggles and it was out. The little one wouldn't have made it otherwise. It's now resting in the brooder. It was a rough start, but I have high hopes for this one. The first picture was around 11:30 this morning. The second was 10:40 this evening, just a few minutes out of the shell.

IMG_6114.jpeg IMG_6126.jpeg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Baby dinosaur s/he is cute

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m still cautious about the little one. It isn’t gaining weight as fast as I think it should but maybe we’ve turned a corner. This morning I had the most vigorous feeding response so far and it took the most amount of formula yet. We’re feeding every 90 minutes or so during the day and every 3 hours at night.

AA05FC02-6347-4EFF-ACA6-628E90040300.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie went to another event yesterday. It was a summer gymnastics program for kids ages 4 - 12 or so. He did really well yesterday. He was polite, didn't scream, and didn't bite anyone. One of the guys from the store came with me and I decided to take Christopher with me. She did really well and was very polite. Chewie was very rude and bit my thumb when I tried to get him to step up from the carrier. When I tried to get him to step up for me from the stand he bit me again. He latched onto my arm and would not let go. It lasted only a few seconds but I tried to pry his beak off of my arm and that didn't help at all. When he finally let go I dropped him on the floor and he went after my feet. Luckily my friend was able to distract him and I walked away from him and took Christopher with me. They did fine together and I stayed away from them while I showed Christopher to the kids. The adults knew I had gotten a hard bite from Chewie but we hid it from the kids so they wouldn't be scared.

I'm positive this is jealousy from Chewie because I've never taken Christopher to one of these events, and I don't hold Christopher when I have Chewie with me. If my friend hasn't been there it would have been so much worse. He did a number on my arm and I'm going to have a nasty bruise from it. He was so angry with me that he was screaming and lunging at me from inside of the carrier. When we got home I put Christopher back on her stand and left the room so he could put Chewie back in his cage. There were no issues between them at all. For a while, I thought maybe this had damaged my relationship with Chewie, but once he was back in his cage he seemed to be ok. He was back to his usual silly self, talking up a storm and flirting with Poppy. We'll see how he is with me for the next few days.

Attachments

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Got my fingers and toes crossed for those little ones, poor dears! That bite from Chewie definitely isn't pretty, you outta audition him as a shark for a movie. He's like a jealous girlfriend haha.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went out to his cage this evening and he was still being aggressive with me. He lunged at me and I quickly pushed him away and closed the door. I told him he was very rude and he wasn't allowed to bite me again. He climbed up on the platform where his food dishes are and yelled "BAD BIRD" I said, yes you are, now be nice. After that, he pushed his head up against the door and let me scratch it. Progress, but I'm going to be very cautious with him and he probably won't go back to the store with me. I have to handle birds there and if he's going to be that jealous of me doing it, then it's an invitation for him to bite me again. If it's taken him this long to unpack his jealousy, then I wonder what other parts of his personality might start to manifest. I won't walk on eggshells around him, but I will certainly be cautious with him.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He climbed up on the platform where his food dishes are and yelled "BAD BIRD"
This is epic :rofl: .. Chewie is such a cutie (though his bites are not:eek:)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Yikes what a bite ...the kids are lucky to have you come in and show them the birds ..I use to do this as well when I bred reptiles :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He did a number on my thumb. I have numbness up to the tip and it’s slowly turning purple. Live and learn I guess. He got a nice bit of hemp added to his chop this morning.

Attachments