• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d set up a bedroom, take a barky dog & sleep at the store. Never heard of a non zoo with a toucan. And to keep an eye on the toucan; I heard they eat small birds. :bignono:
There was a time when someone slept in the store overnight. It was some years ago while the security system was being updated and it couldn't be finished before the end of the day. I'm not sure where they got it, but they paid a pretty penny for it. It's in the medium size range, so I believe it would be considered an "aracari" . I hear they make great but mischievous pets. They are very messy though. The diet being mostly fruit makes for a nasty clean-up. We've seen some strange birds come through the store. One guy had a raven that he wanted the nails filed down. Amazing bird. One customer pulled up with a cage in the back of their pickup truck and wanted the wings clipped on 3 turkey hens. A few weeks ago a customer came in with a Gambel's quail that is a pet. I have them living in my back yard but you need permits to keep them as pets.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Fruit loving birds are so beautiful, but I’ll never personally own them because of those Poop Shoots of Doom! I’ve heard plenty of lorikeet owners casually talk about their lori streaking poop 6+ feet across their floors/walls/etc; the things we do out of love! :laughing2:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fruit loving birds are so beautiful, but I’ll never personally own them because of those Poop Shoots of Doom! I’ve heard plenty of lorikeet owners casually talk about their lori streaking poop 6+ feet across their floors/walls/etc; the things we do out of love! :laughing2:
When I first started at the store I was a cage cleaner. During the morning we put all the birds out on their trees or stands. We had 2 rainbow lorikeets and they were notorious for exploding as soon as you took them out of the cage. To avoid getting blasted with it we would wheel a trash can over by the cage and hold them over it as soon as they stepped up. They would usually go in the trash can, but sometimes one of them would hold it until you got halfway across the store and then they would explode all over you. It was so disgusting. They are beautiful, but messy birds.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
We had a toco toucan at the shelter where I volunteer from the raid back in December (where my own Hahn's macaw came from). They are famously difficult to keep, mainly because of their unique dietary requirements. There is not much research on toucans in captivity, and not even the most experienced veterinarians in the world fully understand how to keep them healthy at this point. They are beautiful, but do not typically build bonds with human companions.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She has a clear voice :heart:

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
The tone of her “hello” is strangely eery; they outta use her voice for jump scares in paranormal movies!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The tone of her “hello” is strangely eery; they outta use her voice for jump scares in paranormal movies!
She can be very vocal and some days her speech is very clear. A few days ago she said "Christopher" very loudly and in my voice. Felix thought I had come home from work early because it was so clear. Once he remembered that he had dropped me off at work he knew it was her, and not me.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
She can be very vocal and some days her speech is very clear. A few days ago she said "Christopher" very loudly and in my voice. Felix thought I had come home from work early because it was so clear. Once he remembered that he had dropped me off at work he knew it was her, and not me.
It’s crazy how accurate a parrot’s speech can be, I remember seeing a case of police using a parrot as a witness because it was repeating what was said during the crime! None of my birds have ever been big talkers, which makes me somewhat glad because I don’t have to listen to “ghosts” during the night (my ekkie quietly honking at 3am was scary enough).

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her voice sounds human. :eek:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We're finally there. The female red-fronted macaw (Varmit) and the green wing female (Zelda) have taken to their nest boxes and won't come out. For them, it either means the first egg has been laid or will be any time now. I think the harlequins are not far behind. This time last year we were on the second clutch of chicks from the red-fronted. It's been a very slow start to the breeding season, but it's finally here.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
So exciting!! Baby birds are absolutely precious (despite being as ugly as a naked radioactive rat). If only humans had glow-ups as amazing as young birds! I can’t wait for baby pics.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie and Poppy meet face to face. They are in cages that are side by side. Some days they talk to each other, some days they scream. Poppy is a terrible flirt, which is why I call her Pop-Tart most of the time. She was hormonal and going through a really heavy molt. She was miserable and it was almost impossible to handle her for a few months. She hasn't had as much 1 on 1 time with me recently because of it. Every time I would try to get her to step up she would lunge and scream at me. I've missed holding her. This afternoon I took her out for a while and sat with her on the floor. I decided to try introducing her to Chewie again. I had them close by once at the store before Chewie came home and she tried to rip his face off. Now that they have had a few months of being side by side in cages I thought I might try again. I want to know how much I can trust the pets if for some reason I have to leave them all out together.

This went pretty well and with them side by side I could really see the size difference. Poppy is tiny compared to him. The first is Poppy on the back of a chair and me holding Chewie nearby. He was spreading his wings trying to look as big as possible. She just stared at him. The second is the two of them side by side on the floor. It all went pretty well. She nipped one of his toes but he just growled at her and she moved away. I think he was more traumatized by the experience than anything. I put Poppy back in her cage and she was sweet and cuddly the whole walk there. Afterward, Chewie and I sat together on the chair and he walked up onto my chest and put his head under my chin. His previous owner said he was a biter and didn't trust him. For all of his bluster, he's just a big baby at heart.

PopTart.jpg IMG_5845.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie and Poppy meet face to face. They are in cages that are side by side. Some days they talk to each other, some days they scream. Poppy is a terrible flirt, which is why I call her Pop-Tart most of the time. She was hormonal and going through a really heavy molt. She was miserable and it was almost impossible to handle her for a few months. She hasn't had as much 1 on 1 time with me recently because of it. Every time I would try to get her to step up she would lunge and scream at me. I've missed holding her. This afternoon I took her out for a while and sat with her on the floor. I decided to try introducing her to Chewie again. I had them close by once at the store before Chewie came home and she tried to rip his face off. Now that they have had a few months of being side by side in cages I thought I might try again. I want to know how much I can trust the pets if for some reason I have to leave them all out together.

This went pretty well and with them side by side I could really see the size difference. Poppy is tiny compared to him. The first is Poppy on the back of a chair and me holding Chewie nearby. He was spreading his wings trying to look as big as possible. She just stared at him. The second is the two of them side by side on the floor. It all went pretty well. She nipped one of his toes but he just growled at her and she moved away. I think he was more traumatized by the experience than anything. I put Poppy back in her cage and she was sweet and cuddly the whole walk there. Afterward, Chewie and I sat together on the chair and he walked up onto my chest and put his head under my chin. His previous owner said he was a biter and didn't trust him. For all of his bluster, he's just a big baby at heart.

View attachment 407809 View attachment 407808
They are so gorgeous! I hope this can be the start of a wonderful friendship. :heart:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was wondering if they mate...the babies will be wonderful!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was wondering if they mate...the babies will be wonderful!
They would make some beautiful red babies that's for sure. We originally thought Chewie was a Ruby X Scarlet hybrid but it turned out that he's just a Ruby. They are just a few years apart in age with Chewie being 9 or 10 and Poppy being 7 I believe. We experienced her first hormonal period and it was pretty rough. I'm not sure she has the temperament to breed. She's very independent and quick to bite. She also doesn't like to share anything. It's very difficult for me to change out her toys because I have to partially get in her cage and she doesn't like it at all. I don't know how well she would do sharing a cage with Chewie. She's got a big attitude to make up for her small size and I don't see it working. He's just a big cuddle bug anyway and I would hate to lose him as a pet. I'm planning on taking him to work today so he can get spoiled by everyone.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is Chewie sitting on the fence at work. We use it to separate the bird area from the sales floor. The bird area had been cleaned so I had him on the fence for a while so he wasn't in the way. The big baby got spoiled all day long and behaved himself for the most part. He ripped the last button off of my work shirt and then held it in his mouth for about an hour until someone saw him drop it. I thought it had gone flying when he snapped it off, but the brat held on to it. I was scratching his head and then he lifted his wing for me to scratch under it. He was already overstimulated and I know better than to scratch under his wing. He chomped on the base of my index finger in his excitement. I chastised him and told him that was very rude. In response, he mumbled something that sounded like, "I'm sorry". He only bites when he's overstimulated and it happens so fast I don't see the warning signs. Luckily they are few and far between.

Chewie.jpg

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a beautiful baby!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So beautiful :)

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Can’t stay mad at a face like that! A parrot destroying your clothes just gives you the excuse to go out and buy new ones. ;)