• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If chewing on wood makes him happy, I'm all for it. It's better than him chewing on me. I was going to take him to work tomorrow, but he loves the guy who cleans cages for me on Tuesdays. They talk and dance while he's cleaning.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Outta put Chewie to work and start a vampire stake selling business; might as well make some money off of his chomped perches and slay some vampires while you’re at it!

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Outta put Chewie to work and start a vampire stake selling business; might as well make some money off of his chomped perches and slay some vampires while you’re at it!
This week on Supernatural. :rofl:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That would be so awesome and would actually totally work if the Winchesters had a parrot that whittles their vampire stakes for them! :rofl:
Omg If that had actually happened in the show I'd have died from delight lol. Dean plus a parrot would just be the greatest thing.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie has been at it again. I put in the dragon wood perch I picked up locally last week and when I looked at it this morning, I saw he had done this to it. It looks like it's a little harder for him, but he's working on it. The perch from Seriously Nutz arrived yesterday so I'll have one in reserve for when he finally destroys the one he has now. I'll have another vampire stake waiting.

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 7.35.22 AM.jpg

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried stringing big chunks of oak wood on a welded metal chain? Perhaps he'll chew on that & not his perches.

JaKhu my B&G is also a master destroyer. As long as I have wood toys in her cage she lets her perches alone. I also told her if she destroys her perches & cage she'll have no where to live. JaKhu just turned 2 years old on April 10. The terrible twos have begun. She's recently refusing to step up when I ask, especially off the parrot tower & top of her cage. She has eased up on nipping, but is now back doing it again.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried stringing big chunks of oak wood on a welded metal chain? Perhaps he'll chew on that & not his perches.

JaKhu my B&G is also a master destroyer. As long as I have wood toys in her cage she lets her perches alone. I also told her if she destroys her perches & cage she'll have no where to live. JaKhu just turned 2 years old on April 10. The terrible twos have begun. She's recently refusing to step up when I ask, especially off the parrot tower & top of her cage. She has eased up on nipping, but is now back doing it again.
I have some big chunky wooden toys in his cage. He works on those for a while and then on the perch. I think a big part of it is his hormonal frustration. Poppy is in a cage next to him and she's also hormonal, possibly for the first time. I think their behavior is feeding off each other and neither of them really know what to do with themselves. She's become impossible and very difficult to handle. I offer her my arm, she screams and leans away, then steps up, and then tries to bite me. When I put her down she tries to throw up for me and sticks her bottom in my face. I tell her that I'm a married man and I don't appreciate her acting like such a hussy with me.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have some big chunky wooden toys in his cage. He works on those for a while and then on the perch.
Looks to me like he likes the leverage he gets from the perch being bolted in place. ;) You know they get super power strength when it comes to things on those cage bars....

Take a look at some bolt on style toys. Whether it be on my store, another or you make your own from the hardware he leaves you. :laugh:

Like this, cheaper than perches. :D

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My cage cleaner was here and Chewie was at the front of the cage talking up a storm. I reached in to scratch his head and he chomped on my index finger. He immediately ran to the back of the cage and started mumbling. I think he was overly excited and just reacted without thinking. That's only the second time he's bitten me but I'm probably going to get a nice bruise from it. I've had a wicked spring cold this week so what's a little more added to my aches and pains.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie is very upset with me. I was sick most of the week and it was a chore just to feed the macaws let alone spend any time interacting with them. It wasn’t until Friday that I got to spend time with Chewie but my cage cleaner was here and in his excitement to see us both, he bit me. Today he won’t even come to the front of the cage. He just yells at me and tries to nip if I reach in. I did manage to get a few head scratches in but he’s confused between being angry and really wanting my attention. These things happen and I’ll have to regain his favor and trust again. I haven’t had a cold in years so I understand it was hard on him too.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Hoping you are feeling better?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I took Christopher in for some grooming yesterday. She's got two nails that start to curl if they get too long and she's going through a very heavy molt. Her feathers are so ragged that she looks like she's been in a fight with a lawnmower. I had her nails worked on and there was a small notch on her beak that the groomer was able to smooth out without too much trouble. You know how dramatic macaws can be about getting groomed, but she was very well behaved. No screaming and no trying to bite either of us. Afterward, I hung out at the store for about an hour. We sat and talked and customers came over and told her how pretty she is. The distraction gave me time to work on her pin feathers some and she's looking much better now. I would love to take her to work with me, but she is flighted. I don't believe she was encouraged to fly, or maybe she was clipped as a baby, and never learned how to fly well. She's not good at it and landing involves crashing into whatever is in front of her, then yelling profanities when she ends up on the floor. Right now, she's sitting on the back of my chair, making sniffing sounds because I still have this blasted cold and my nose is running. There is nothing like being mocked by a macaw is there?

I got an update from Chichi's mom. He broke their flat-screen TV. He jumped from his tree and landed on her head then took off and landed on the top of the tv. He leaned down and bit the corner of it, shattering the screen. Ooopppssss

IMG_5576.jpeg

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
That poor TV! Large birds seem to be the natural predator of TVs, so many poor electronics lost to the chompers of macaws and cockatoos. I plan on mounting my flatscreen to the wall so that no bird’s impulsive curiosity can get the best of them. I’m glad Christopher didn’t put up theatrics for her groom, it’s always so satisfying to pop off pin feathers.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That poor TV! Large birds seem to be the natural predator of TVs, so many poor electronics lost to the chompers of macaws and cockatoos. I plan on mounting my flatscreen to the wall so that no bird’s impulsive curiosity can get the best of them. I’m glad Christopher didn’t put up theatrics for her groom, it’s always so satisfying to pop off pin feathers.
We've had a few customers lose their phones when a bird chomps on the screen and shatters it. I want to ask why they were waving their phone in front of a living can opener. Christopher is pretty calm during grooming, and in general, she has a very chill personality. She rarely screams and it's usually when we leave the house. Chewie is the theatrical one when it comes to grooming. It's a chore, to say the least. I'm glad to have someone else do it. I can step out of the line of sight and come to the rescue when he's finished.