• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Additions 2022

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie decided to come out of his cage this morning. He knows that I can't reach him when he goes to the back of the cage, so so I've used his game to my advantage. The last few days he's come to the front of the cage and lifted his foot for me, but I won't make any attempt to pick him up. Today, when I was getting his food dishes he came right up and stepped onto my arm without me having to ask him. I have to watch my thumb because he likes to crunch them, but today he was very sweet. I brought him into the kitchen so I could get some pictures of him. His nails need to be trimmed something terrible. My arm looks like I've been in a raspberry patch.

IMG_4883.jpeg IMG_4886.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie decided to come out of his cage this morning. He knows that I can't reach him when he goes to the back of the cage, so so I've used his game to my advantage. The last few days he's come to the front of the cage and lifted his foot for me, but I won't make any attempt to pick him up. Today, when I was getting his food dishes he came right up and stepped onto my arm without me having to ask him. I have to watch my thumb because he likes to crunch them, but today he was very sweet. I brought him into the kitchen so I could get some pictures of him. His nails need to be trimmed something terrible. My arm looks like I've been in a raspberry patch.

View attachment 403779 View attachment 403780
He's so freaking gorgeous! Wow that tail :swoon:

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors

View attachment 403779 View attachment 403780
Thumbs are obviously the superior birdie snack. :gwm:

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thumbs have a certain yummy-ness to them that scarlets cannot resist. I wonder if it’s the special kind of a crunchy squish that makes them addictive?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Scarlet's love me. Almost every one of them I've come across wants to either chew on my thumb or regurgitate for me. Chewie does both. I wish there was a little more green-wing to his personality, but the scarlet seems very dominant in him. With green wings I can usually get them to sit with me and enjoy some quiet time together. Scarlets are like toddlers. Always on the go and needing entertainment.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Scarlet's love me. Almost every one of them I've come across wants to either chew on my thumb or regurgitate for me.
Yes. It’s always the scarlets. Three surgeries on my left thumb and it’s almost back to normal from a rather nasty bite years ago! Still my favorite of all the macaws though.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes. It’s always the scarlets. Three surgeries on my left thumb and it’s almost back to normal from a rather nasty bite years ago! Still my favorite of all the macaws though.
OUCH! I've had some nasty bites, but never bad enough to need stitches. When it comes to stitches it's always my own fault because I've done something stupid with something very sharp.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Sounds like one of the scarlets I used to work with! Very grumpy guy named Louie, valued his personal space and would always sucker people in by acting cute; had to put up signs specific for him to make sure new volunteers remembered that he was a chomper!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I pulled one over on Chewie. While he was on Christopher's stand dancing and carrying on, I went to get the carrier and I suckered him into getting into it. I took him over to the store to get his nails done. He climbed up onto my shoulder and when I tried to get him to step up onto my hand he slipped. There he is hanging on the back of my shirt by one nail, beating me with his wings. The back of my neck is scratched up and at one point one of his nails was embedded into the palm of my hand like a fish hook. We did get him secured and his nails are no longer like little razor blades. He pouted for a while but I put him on my knee and rubbed his head while I told him how beautiful he is. Just a few minutes of reassurance and he was over the trauma. I opened the carrier and he went in without any problem at all. One of the other groomers opened the door to take him out and he lunged at her. I think she groomed him when he first came in and he holds it against her. When we got home he stepped right out and put his head on my chest. I gave him some scratches and then put him back in his cage with a bowl of treats. I do the grooming on the conures, but I would rather have someone else do the macaws. I'm good with them hating someone else for it.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
I pulled one over on Chewie. While he was on Christopher's stand dancing and carrying on, I went to get the carrier and I suckered him into getting into it. I took him over to the store to get his nails done. He climbed up onto my shoulder and when I tried to get him to step up onto my hand he slipped. There he is hanging on the back of my shirt by one nail, beating me with his wings. The back of my neck is scratched up and at one point one of his nails was embedded into the palm of my hand like a fish hook. We did get him secured and his nails are no longer like little razor blades. He pouted for a while but I put him on my knee and rubbed his head while I told him how beautiful he is. Just a few minutes of reassurance and he was over the trauma. I opened the carrier and he went in without any problem at all. One of the other groomers opened the door to take him out and he lunged at her. I think she groomed him when he first came in and he holds it against her. When we got home he stepped right out and put his head on my chest. I gave him some scratches and then put him back in his cage with a bowl of treats. I do the grooming on the conures, but I would rather have someone else do the macaws. I'm good with them hating someone else for it.
It seems like birds never appreciate the free pedicures they’re given. One of the worst times I’ve gotten snagged was a blue and gold’s nail getting caught in the skin of my neck; not very pleasant! At least Chewie’s holding a grudge against those poor groomers rather than you, compliments always fix a parrot’s bruised pride. :laughing2:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems like birds never appreciate the free pedicures they’re given. One of the worst times I’ve gotten snagged was a blue and gold’s nail getting caught in the skin of my neck; not very pleasant! At least Chewie’s holding a grudge against those poor groomers rather than you, compliments always fix a parrot’s bruised pride. :laughing2:
<shudder> Getting caught in the neck sounds horrible.

Parrots are such vain creatures. They are beautiful and they know it. A few compliments and head scratches go a long way to soothe a bruised ego. I usually step away and go out of their line of sight while the grooming is going on. When it's over I come to their rescue and make a big deal out of it. Chewie did better with me rubbing his head. Penny was one I would rescue and she always acted indignant about being touched by a stranger. She was happy to see me when I came to get her.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
<shudder> Getting caught in the neck sounds horrible.

Parrots are such vain creatures. They are beautiful and they know it. A few compliments and head scratches go a long way to soothe a bruised ego. I usually step away and go out of their line of sight while the grooming is going on. When it's over I come to their rescue and make a big deal out of it. Chewie did better with me rubbing his head. Penny was one I would rescue and she always acted indignant about being touched by a stranger. She was happy to see me when I came to get her.
What they don’t know can’t hurt them! Might as well be the bird’s knight in shining armor rather than the evil groomer’s assistant. I had to take my old eclectus to get her nail’s done once and I was in the room during her appointment; big mistake on my part, I got quite the cold shoulder for the rest of the day! I guess it was quite rude of me to keep her feet pretty and comfortable.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie was super friendly this morning. Felix was feeding the macaws this morning and when he put his arm into Chewie's cage to get the food dish, Chewie stepped up onto his arm without being asked. Felix doesn't handle the big birds so he wasn't sure what to do when Chewie went climbing up to his shoulder so he put his arm back in the cage and Chewie climbed off onto the side of the cage. Felix was surprised because the big ones make him uncomfortable. No harm was done though.

Chewie is in a mood so he's trying really hard to feed me. I keep telling him I'm not interested and I'll be happy to scratch his head instead. We hung out on the island for a while this morning. Christopher was not happy about it, so she decided to take a bath while I was playing with Chewie. He completely ignored her so she got louder and flung water all over the place. Poppy is molting and has a lot of pin feathers on her head. She's also hormonal and quick to bite so I'm hands-off with her right now. The most I've been able to do is scratch her head and try to break up the pins. I haven't had her wings clipped since she came to me and her flight feathers are filling in. She's going to have beautiful wings once they all grow back.

I have the next week off from the store and we're heading out of town on Wednesday. Grandbaby number 6 is due on the 21st. I'm pretty sure he will arrive sometime in the next few days and will be there before we arrive.

Chewie says HI!

IMG_5010.jpeg

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
Poor Poppy! Hormonal and molting, what a double whammy. New grandbabies is always exciting, I hope you enjoy your week off from the store! It’s a good thing that Chewie was nice towards Felix, I can’t imagine what it’s like to have a large animal you’re not comfortable with decide to climb on you.

Tell Chewie that I think he’s a stunner! :loveshower:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on the new grandbaby!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another morning playing with Chewie. He’s so hormonal it’s not funny. I pulled out a very heavy cardboard tube for him to play with. He really wants me to rub his body while he lifts his tail up in the air but I told him I’m not interested. He’s also started tapping his ankle with his beak out of frustration. I used the cardboard tube to agitate him and he took some of his frustration out on it, all while looking up at me and alternating between whispering HI and yelling Hi Chewie! I would put him with Poppy but the one time they were in close proximity she tried to rip his face off. He’s physically bigger but she’s got way more attitude

The grand baby arrived about 1am this morning. He’s beautiful.

CD0D8B8A-4766-49A2-AF20-1CCC36D3AD49.jpeg