• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions 2021

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our little one is now 25 days old and weighs 405 grams. I was gone for 4 days and when I came back it looked like it had doubled in size. The eyes are open and it is aware of what's going on around it. This one had a huge appetite as well. We left for a 4-day trip to see family on Wednesday of last week. That Wednesday I used a 25ml syringe for the first time. Today I had to switch to a 50ml syringe because it is eating so much. I have a feeling this little one is going to be a handful.

We have an appointment to see the vet next week, but I'm going to try to get in today if possible. The other chick from this pair that I posted on the 10th is missing the tip of one of the toes. This little one has some swelling on the same toe so I'm going to get it checked out and see if it's something we need to watch out for.

In other news, I'm going to be a grandfather again. Number 6 is due sometime in March.

Attachments

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was a complete nightmare. I took Chichi (nickname for the baby harlequin) in to the vet this morning. As I suspected, the tip of the toe needed to be amputated. I did show the Dr the picture of the other harlequin that is missing the tip of the same toe and she said it very well could be a genetic thing for this pair. The procedure went off without a problem. I came home with the baby and some medication. A few hours later when I went to feed Chichi I discovered blood all over the brooder box. Since Chichi never sits still the stitched either popped out from being too tight or snagged on something and were pulled out. While I was dialing the vet's office to let them know I was on the way back I shoved the bleeding toe into a pile of quick stop and off I went. The Dr was waiting for me and she took Chichi back to see what was going on. The bleeding had stopped and the wound was sealed so she cleaned it up and put a pressure bandage on it. The adhesive is pretty strong and she doubts that Chichi can get it off even with all the wiggling he does. Now we're both home and resting. I gave all the medications and about half of the normal feeding. I don't want to take the chance that he bumps himself and aspirates on a full crop. We're back to smaller, more frequent feedings for the next few days until I'm confident everything is healing well. Between home and the store, it's never a dull moment.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness poor Chichi and poor you! So sorry that this happened but how lucky you were there to get the bleeding stopped and get Chichi to the vet. Hopefully nothing more adventurous with this toe happens!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update on Chichi. Since the craziness on Wednesday, everything has been smooth sailing. Chichi only put on a few grams between Wednesday and Thursday. With the amputation and blood loss that wasn't unexpected. I think the weight Wednesday morning was about 420 grams. Thursday it was 430. This morning it was 510 - almost 100 grams of weight gain in 4 days. There have been no other issues with the toe and I'll get an appointment this week to get the bandage changed. I had reached out to the next family on my waiting list to let them know Chichi had arrived. They have had a nightmare trying to get a Harlequin macaw so they were very excited. I like to be transparent so I let them know about the visit to the vet. The next day the woman reached out to me and asked if they could come by to see Chichi since the next day was her husband's birthday. I don't normally let people see macaw chicks until they are a month old, but I figured it would be ok. She managed to get her husband all the way across town without letting him know where they were going. It wasn't until they were in the driveway that he realized what was going on and it was love at first sight. Even with the recent surgery, Chichi showed a huge personality and I think it's going to be a good match.

As for my friend with the blue & gold and the crazy wife - He made the difficult decision to give her up because he has to get his life in order and the next few months are going to be rough for him. He's going to have to move out of state and stay with family while the divorce rages on. We talked about taking her but we just don't have the room to take her permanently as a pet. I helped connect him with a family that was looking and they met here and got to know one another. He thought about it overnight and today she went home with them. I feel bad for him, but he knows what his priorities have to be right now. I can respect that. I told him to stay in touch and I'll make sure he gets another feathered baby when the time is right.

Here is Chichi with a fat baby belly and ready for a good night's sleep.

IMG_3766.jpeg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Chichi is adorable.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be so worried I'd do something wrong with birds this young! It looks very hard what you do.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be so worried I'd do something wrong with birds this young! It looks very hard what you do.
The thought of hand-feeding a day one hatchling macaw was terrifying. I've tried it with newly hatched conures and it's always a failure. The opportunity presented itself and I figured I would give it my best shot. It turned out to be much easier than I anticipated. It helps that they are far bigger than newly hatched conures and have a better feeding response. Once we got past the first two days and into a pattern, hand feeding has been a breeze.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay! I’m so glad to hear that everything is going well with the little one and that his little toe is fine! :bliss:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chichi saw the vet today. I'm glad they have Sunday hours. Everything went well. The Dr is happy with the progress on the toe and that Chichi stands on the foot with no issues or discomfort. Poor Chichi scared the wits out of the vet. When she touched him to start the exam he let out a scream and it was so unexpected that she almost jumped out of her skin. She jumped back then started laughing. I started laughing, and Chich continued to be very indignant about the whole thing. It got better though. His new family was waiting for him when we got home and he got lots of cuddles from everyone. At 33 days old Chichi weighs 702 grams and has put on 300 grams in the last 10 days. I have a feeling he's going to make Freya look like a game hen by the time he stops growing.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Good news.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Such a gorgeous looking baby already! :awww:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chichi is going to be such a gorgeous, vibrant adult!!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We still don't have the DNA results back from the vet's office yet. It's been about a month now. I've called weekly and the answer I get is the same - we don't have the results back, but there is a note here to call you as soon as we do. I'm losing my patience with it because it costs me less than $18 to get it done at work, and the vet charges almost $100 for it. I figured it was easier to get it done while I was Chichi was having the tip of the toe amputated.

Chichi is very different from Freya. She was very calm and laid back and only demanding when she wanted to be fed. Chichi calls out all day long and it wears on me. We very quickly went from 50 - 60 ml per feeding to 120 or more and that helped. The crop empties at a pace where we are at 3 feedings a day, so I don't want to give 5 large feedings each day and take the chance of getting crop stasis. The behavior is so different that it makes me wonder if there is a cognitive issue going on from anesthesia at such a young age. We've outgrown the brooder so now we're in a small cage. We had the tray in the bottom of the cage, above the grate, and we lined it with towels and baby blankets. Yesterday when we were down on the floor I notice one of the legs was sticking out a little to the side. In order to avoid splayed legs, we put the tray back under the grate and removed the towels so Chichi could learn to stand better and start using those toes the right way. I moved Freya from the brooder to a cage at 9 weeks because she was climbing out of it. Chichi is right around 8 weeks so I don't think we're too early. I just hope I'm not rushing things if the development is going at a slower pace.

I had to reign myself in yesterday because there is a green wing at the store that has decided he likes me. I've known him for the last year and a half or so and he's never let me interact with him. He belonged to a relative of one of the employees. Unfortunately, she is facing serious health problems and decided to give this guy up. As I understand his history, he was returned to the store 3 times before he was a year old. I've never known him to be a bad bird, he just didn't care for me. It happens. There is a woman who works there that he adores. He rolls over in her arms, hangs upside down from her hand, and sticks his head down the front of his shirt. If I get too close to her, he lunges at me. I've always given him space because of it. This past Friday he fell off of his tree when one of the other birds frightened him. I went to pick him up from the floor and I guess he decided I wasn't so bad after all. He was very friendly to me the rest of the day. When I got to work the next day he decided I was his new best friend. He plays rough but I quickly established boundaries with him and it wasn't a problem again. He got up on my shoulder and then shoved his head down the front of my shirt. He hangs upside down from my hand and just acts silly. He's blossomed into a big silly boy for me. I'm tempted to bring him home as a pet, but I won't. I just can't have them all.

Here is Mr J hanging from my hand while I swing him back and forth.

IMG_3996.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Five weeks later, the DNA results came back. Chichi is a boy. The original family that had come to visit Chichi has expressed interest in purchasing him again. They had some things to deal with and now that they are past that and have had time to heal they are in a better place and can focus on bringing him into their family. I'm still working on finding a home for Penny, but the right person will come along when the time is right.

Mr. J, the green-winged macaw at work got a lesson in respecting boundaries today. He's done really well with both me and the young couple that wants to adopt him. He stepped between us several times and then while we walked down as aisle to talk about cage sizes he decided to break one of the buttons off of my shirt. I grabbed the collar to pull it out of his mouth and he pinched my face with his beak. Before he know what was happening he was on the floor looking up at me. No harm was done to either of us, but his shoulder privileges have been revoked. When I picked him up I told him he was rude and he wouldn't even look at me. He held his foot out to the other guy but he stepped back out of reach and told him he was very rude too. A few minutes later the guy let him step over, but not to his shoulder. He kept him at a distance for a while but eventually, he got cuddles again. When it was time for them to leave, he stepped back to me, but when he went to go up to my shoulder, I blocked him and told him no. He went back down to my hand where he had been and stayed there until I put him back in his cage. His previous owners taught him well, but he's a little rough around the edges and they never worked to temper his rough way of playing. I would still take him if I could.