• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions 2021

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
That is so sad. Just my opinion, but anyone who'd give up on an animal so quickly is not a keeper either. I'd be shipping out that boyfriend first.

I can't believe they clipped her. :(

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wasn't thrilled that they clipped her because I spent a lot of time working on recall. I also had to make peace with it because she was paid in full and no longer in my care. That being said, she's in excellent condition and her personality has really blossomed. I was expecting a traumatized bird, but she's the same happy girl she was when she left, and she was happy to see me.

IMG_3570.jpeg

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I wasn't thrilled that they clipped her because I spent a lot of time working on recall. I also had to make peace with it because she was paid in full and no longer in my care. That being said, she's in excellent condition and her personality has really blossomed. I was expecting a traumatized bird, but she's the same happy girl she was when she left, and she was happy to see me.

View attachment 392098
And SEVERELY clipped too!!! But she has the GREATEST expression on her face! Bet when she thinks about things to do, she gets mischievous! And teases you! :joyful:
She is SO CUTE!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm happy to hear that your medical test results have been good so far. Penny looks like such a sweet girl! I'm glad you were able to take her back in and hope that someone really special will want her!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only thing that keeps me from being really angry about the clip is that the groomer at the store is amazing at what he does and the clip is very clean and even. He's been grooming birds for decades and he fully understands that an uneven clip can throw their balance off as well as destroy their self-confidence. He takes a lot of pride in doing it the right way. He hates the "Drigger's cut" but he's good at it.

There is no doubt that she's plotting mischief. It's her middle name.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Penny and Juju meet in person for the first time. Sisters from different clutches. I'm pretty sure Juju is a girl, but the DNA should come back in a few days. Penny was weaned and almost ready to go home when Juju came out of the nest box so I never put them together.

Penny on the left, Juju on the right.

IMG_3586.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This little one is growing fast. It's been far less terrifying than trying to feed a day one conure hatchling.

The first hand feeding a few hours after hatching, and a hand-feeding this morning, just shy of 1 week old. 20 grams at hatching and 61 grams this morning.

Attachments

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thirteen days old and weighing 158 grams. The tips of the pin feathers are starting to appear just under the skin, and it's eating 15ml at a time. I had big concerns that this wasn't going to go well, but I'm thrilled with the progress so far. I was talking with a customer at the store one day. He has a beautiful harlequin boy. With no prompting, this bird just crawled over to my shoulder and sat there looking around. We figured out that his bird is the offspring of the breeding pair that I now own. The other picture is that bird and it gives me a good idea of what this one may look like when fully grown.

I forgot to add that I'm pretty sure I've found a good person for Penny. He's a friend of mine and she has taken to him pretty easily. He has a blue & gold and he does an amazing job with her. Unfortunately, he's going through an ugly divorce right now so his blue & gold is staying with us because his wife keeps threatening to sell her. Both his girl and Penny will be with us until things are resolved. This will give both of them a chance to get socialized with each other before they leave.

IMG_3622.jpeg
harlequin.jpg

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Unfortunately, he's going through an ugly divorce right now so his blue & gold is staying with us because his wife keeps threatening to sell her.
This is vile. I think you should buy this macaw, just in case. They are considered possessions, unfortunately. Then he could buy the macaw back after.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
he's going through an ugly divorce right now so his blue & gold is staying with us because his wife keeps threatening to sell her
Vile is right -- if anybody sold my guys, I'd be in court for something other than divorce.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is vile. I think you should buy this macaw, just in case. They are considered possessions, unfortunately. Then he could buy the macaw back after.
I've considered that, and I may run it by him if things get worse. I do know that he purchased her with his own money, but that doesn't really matter as Arizona is a community property state.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Then I'd buy the macaw at market value so his soon to be ex had nothing on him. Use an e-transfer or a cashier's cheque & make a proper bill of sale. Document the transaction set up via e-mail.

I know someone whose ex-husband did this to her with her horses & breeding stock. She never got over it. They were court ordered sold at auction.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness that little baby is too precious for words and miss Penny & Juju are absolutely adorable ❤

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Juju has gone home. It took forever for the dna to come back and it turns out we have a boy. I thought for sure we had another girl because the personalities between Juju and Penny were so similar. We went for a wellness check and microchip and out little boy passed with flying colors. Mom took him home from there. Another baby has flown the coop.

FB53A06D-D8FA-414F-B678-44001E4083FF.jpeg

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Microchipping... GREAT! Beats the heck out of an encumbering leg band!

Q-- do ALL vets have the machines to look for those?