• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions 2021

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is a WONDERFUL idea!!!! I am truly impressed!
Q-- do you have a copy of everyone in another place?
And I don't see a date... [ie-- they are 20yr old ... when? this year?] Right now my memory is pretty good about when [approx] they were born/ rehomed/ etc.
This idea is WONDERFUL! Thank you.
With birds throwing stuff around and cage cleaning, the pages don't stay nice for very long. They get reprinted several times a year anyway. I update them if I need to when I print them. I also have another program that I keep detailed records of the birds in, but no one else has access to that.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A friend of mine gave me a tree stand for Christopher (Christina, Tina) to use. She gets to hang out in the office with us in the morning before I leave for the bird store. We realized that trying to change her name to Tina was too much too fast. We've got back to Christopher and are slowly making a transition to Christina. I've had a much better response from her with that. This morning I was having some crackers for my perpetually upset stomach and I snapped off a piece for her. I handed it to her where she was on the other side of the tree and went back to work. A few minutes later I feel her tail across the back of my neck and I turn around to see her bent over as far as she can reach trying to get a look at the crackers. It looks like I've found her bribe currency.

IMG_3433.jpeg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Always good information to have!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She's a pretty young lady.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m going to need help with this one…. I have a pair of macaws that give harlequin chicks. About 6 weeks ago their first chick with us hatched. They have a history of giving one or two chicks per clutch and successfully raising the baby. I stayed hands off and waited a few days to check on it. When I did, the chick was dead. The other eggs weren’t fertile. It happens so I cleaned out the box and let them try again. The second clutch we had 4 eggs, two of them were fertile. Last Sunday the first one hatched and a few days later I discovered it had died. The female had stayed in the box and was being fed by the male but did not fed the chick. I pulled the other eggs and on a whim I put the other fertile egg in an incubator. I had no expectation that it would hatch and about 40 minutes ago it exploded out of the egg. I’ve got a lot of experience hand feeding but I feel totally out of my element with this one. I’m getting a brooder setup now and then I’m off to the races with a newly hatched macaw.

Any advice?

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I am not a baby bird person and only know what I've learned from folks on this forum. I can't think of anyone more qualified than @BrianB in this circumstance. I'll be standing here cheering him and his baby on.

Wonder why that pair went haywire on you all of a sudden?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonder why that pair went haywire on you all of a sudden?
If I had to guess I would say it's the environment. At their original owners, they were in a flight cage inside of a very large enclosure. Their cage was almost right next to Zelda and Zachary, the green wings. For the first 10 months they were here they were in a large dome top macaw cage. They still had their nest box and they would sleep in it, but there was no breeding behavior. I expected when we moved them outside to the new patio and into a flight cage that would change. That happened in May. We had to make some adjustments to their cage but they did start breeding in June. She dropped the first egg in the middle of the cage and the other 3 were laid in the box. Only one of the eggs hatched and it died a few days later. They bred again and here we are today. She sits well and the male feeds her, but she's not feeding the chicks. I had planned on moving their cage so they are next to Zelda and Zachary again, but they are on eggs and with hatchings possibly coming I don't want the disruption. They are next to a pair of greys and there had been some aggression between them until I put a barrier up between the cages. That happened between clutches and they can no longer see each other.

Previously the other breeder said that she would normally only give 2 chicks and on the rare chance she had three chicks hatch she would only feed two. Three was just too much for her, but she fed the others very well. My guess is that they have the instinct for breeding but just aren't 100% comfortable where they are.

I've order a incubator of my own and this evening I'm going to order a brooder... just in case...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
So there were a few reasons and they didn't just go off the rails.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Moving all of the macaws out to the patio has been a learning experience. We ordered flight cages to put them in so we could get rid of the dome top cages. Zelda and Zachary were already in a flight cage, but it was too big to fit in the door. We ordered one for them that is slightly smaller. Putting them together was a chore, but then we had to drag them from the garage to the patio before the doors were installed. Having flight cages outside isn't a big deal because the droppings fall to the ground below. Inside that's not a possibility. We put tarps down and dragged them outside to clean them. That got old really quick. I ordered trays to put under the cages, but having them on the floor meant that the droppings still splattered everywhere and the food bounced off and rolled away. So I built platforms under the cages so the trays are about 5 inches under the bottom grate. That keeps the majority of the droppings contained, and most of the food stays there as well. Dexter, the serial killer African Grey takes issue with everything I do, and trying to remove the trays for cleaning is a chore because he's trying his best to bite me. It's a lot of work and commotion to keep the trays clean and that may be part of the disruption. I've also got a VERY hormonal Buffons who is frustrated and has taken to screaming - sometimes for 5 minutes or more at a time. I'm sure that isn't helping.

It's hard to pinpoint one thing that may be causing them to starve the chicks. I think it's a combination of the relatively new environment, the work needed to keep things clean, and neighbors the birds don't like. I want to shuffle some cages around, but I need to wait until they are through this breeding cycle. I fully expect to have a new set of challenges appear that need some sort of solution. I also want to put cameras on the nest boxes so I can see what's going on inside. I have ideas, but it's something I need to think through so it is unobtrusive to them and doesn't cause more issues going forward. It really never ends, but I enjoy the challenge and learning experience.

In other news, I saw Freya today. She's doing amazing and is head over heels in love with her owner. The only interaction I had was to rub her head while she was having her nails trimmed. I didn't want to intrude so I didn't ask for anything more. She's flying outside on a harness and talking. She will be 1 year old on October 11th and I'm happy that she's happy. Kai is large and in charge. His mom and dad give me updates and let me know how much they adore him. His mom posted a video of him playing with a rope toy. He was rolling all over the floor playing with it like a puppy. Penny went home a few weeks ago. I taught her to fly and did some recall training. The day after they picked her up, they had her wings clipped. <shrug> what can you do? They love her and she's happy. Juju will be going home in the middle of September. She will start harness training tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

As for myself, well I have a cold and I feel miserable, but I'm not complaining. Honestly, I'm enjoying being able to take a lot of naps because I've been so busy lately I haven't been able to. I think I'm just run down from the bird store. We're understaffed and I worked 55 hours there last week in addition to my other job. It's finally catching up to me. The majority of my medical tests came back with very good results. . I have no cardiac issues. The weird electrical path through my heart appears to be normal for me. There was no plaque, no blockages, and no sign of a previous heart attack. The bone marrow biopsy showed no evidence of leukemia, so now we're looking at a genetic test to explain the overproduction of red blood cells. Getting the extra blood drained every 3 weeks is a drag, but I'll take that inconvenience over leukemia any day. The colonoscopy is just a miserable but necessary thing. I had polyps at 41 so I've had to have them every 3 years. This is the 3rd one without evidence of polyps so I don't need to deal with that again for another 5 - 8 years. It did confirm I have IBS-D but that wasn't a surprise.

Now that all that stuff is out of the way - enjoy a picture of a baby harlequin macaw, thirty minutes out of the shell. I'm putting all I've got into this little one. That's all I can do. Nature will do what it wills.

IMG_3535.jpeg

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I pray for your strength, tenacity, and patience.. Try to get some sleep in-between the 2hr feedings!
I remember sleeping at the kitchen table, so I'd be there for the next feeding of my baby BL Front Amazon... All survived... [me included]... but try to get some help w/ the baby!

howdymjm

Meeting neighbors
Moving all of the macaws out to the patio has been a learning experience. We ordered flight cages to put them in so we could get rid of the dome top cages. Zelda and Zachary were already in a flight cage, but it was too big to fit in the door. We ordered one for them that is slightly smaller. Putting them together was a chore, but then we had to drag them from the garage to the patio before the doors were installed. Having flight cages outside isn't a big deal because the droppings fall to the ground below. Inside that's not a possibility. We put tarps down and dragged them outside to clean them. That got old really quick. I ordered trays to put under the cages, but having them on the floor meant that the droppings still splattered everywhere and the food bounced off and rolled away. So I built platforms under the cages so the trays are about 5 inches under the bottom grate. That keeps the majority of the droppings contained, and most of the food stays there as well. Dexter, the serial killer African Grey takes issue with everything I do, and trying to remove the trays for cleaning is a chore because he's trying his best to bite me. It's a lot of work and commotion to keep the trays clean and that may be part of the disruption. I've also got a VERY hormonal Buffons who is frustrated and has taken to screaming - sometimes for 5 minutes or more at a time. I'm sure that isn't helping.

It's hard to pinpoint one thing that may be causing them to starve the chicks. I think it's a combination of the relatively new environment, the work needed to keep things clean, and neighbors the birds don't like. I want to shuffle some cages around, but I need to wait until they are through this breeding cycle. I fully expect to have a new set of challenges appear that need some sort of solution. I also want to put cameras on the nest boxes so I can see what's going on inside. I have ideas, but it's something I need to think through so it is unobtrusive to them and doesn't cause more issues going forward. It really never ends, but I enjoy the challenge and learning experience.

In other news, I saw Freya today. She's doing amazing and is head over heels in love with her owner. The only interaction I had was to rub her head while she was having her nails trimmed. I didn't want to intrude so I didn't ask for anything more. She's flying outside on a harness and talking. She will be 1 year old on October 11th and I'm happy that she's happy. Kai is large and in charge. His mom and dad give me updates and let me know how much they adore him. His mom posted a video of him playing with a rope toy. He was rolling all over the floor playing with it like a puppy. Penny went home a few weeks ago. I taught her to fly and did some recall training. The day after they picked her up, they had her wings clipped. <shrug> what can you do? They love her and she's happy. Juju will be going home in the middle of September. She will start harness training tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

As for myself, well I have a cold and I feel miserable, but I'm not complaining. Honestly, I'm enjoying being able to take a lot of naps because I've been so busy lately I haven't been able to. I think I'm just run down from the bird store. We're understaffed and I worked 55 hours there last week in addition to my other job. It's finally catching up to me. The majority of my medical tests came back with very good results. . I have no cardiac issues. The weird electrical path through my heart appears to be normal for me. There was no plaque, no blockages, and no sign of a previous heart attack. The bone marrow biopsy showed no evidence of leukemia, so now we're looking at a genetic test to explain the overproduction of red blood cells. Getting the extra blood drained every 3 weeks is a drag, but I'll take that inconvenience over leukemia any day. The colonoscopy is just a miserable but necessary thing. I had polyps at 41 so I've had to have them every 3 years. This is the 3rd one without evidence of polyps so I don't need to deal with that again for another 5 - 8 years. It did confirm I have IBS-D but that wasn't a surprise.

Now that all that stuff is out of the way - enjoy a picture of a baby harlequin macaw, thirty minutes out of the shell. I'm putting all I've got into this little one. That's all I can do. Nature will do what it wills.

View attachment 391988
great work and luv the pics and update on your birds. definitely no doctor, but I had a friend who was always run down and with a high RBC count and incidentally had Crohn's Disease . they eventually diagnosed him with sleep apnea. may check FWIW.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We have another member who produces too may RBC and has to have her blood drained every once in awhile. I'm glad they identified your problems - now they can attack them.

If I weren't so darned old I'd run right down to Phoenix and steal that Buffon's, since you had the nerve to sell Freya.

Baby macaws must be the original ugly ducklings - how can anything that homely grow up to be the knockout beauties that macaws are??

I like naps too.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This little one is eating every 2 hours. We tried to do it a little faster but the crop wasn’t emptying fast enough and a day after hatching there is still some residual yolk being absorbed. This morning we had a really good feeding response and I’m really happy with the movement and energy level. It’s not as terrifying as feeding a day one conure.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, it looks like my little girl Penny is coming back home. I got a text message from her owner this morning that while she loves Penny, and she's the best feathered friend she could ask for. Her boyfriend is less than happy and living with a bird is not what he thought it would be. I've agreed to take her back, and I'll be picking her up this afternoon. They clipped her wings the day after she left so I'm probably going to have to work on rebuilding her confidence when she gets home.