• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions 2021

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone is starting to come out of his shell. I remembered that there were a bunch of guitars and keyboards at the apartment where I picked him up. I played some music for him and he started dancing. You might need to turn the volume up to hear the music.

Happy Dancing Bird

The macaws have started hatching. I have at least one, possibly two red-fronted chicks. Mom and Dad won't let me get a good view yet. A harlequin hatched on the 3rd and the green wings have two fertile eggs that should hatch in the next 7 - 10 days.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone is starting to come out of his shell. I remembered that there were a bunch of guitars and keyboards at the apartment where I picked him up. I played some music for him and he started dancing. You might need to turn the volume up to hear the music.

Happy Dancing Bird

The macaws have started hatching. I have at least one, possibly two red-fronted chicks. Mom and Dad won't let me get a good view yet. A harlequin hatched on the 3rd and the green wings have two fertile eggs that should hatch in the next 7 - 10 days.
I just watched your videos in FB, OMG!! Sooo cute! All videos are superb... Adorable baby birdie.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It never ceases to amaze me how macaws really like humans and seek their company.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
On a whim, I had a DNA test done when I took Christopher in to get the beak and nails trimmed. The results came back today and Christopher is Christina. I really don't like changing a bird's name. They are so intelligent and the name does become part of their persona. I'll have to work on something similar and see what fits

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could invent different endings for Christopher, like Christophina, Christopha, Christophey (like fay), etc.

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
No, this thread isn't about my greenwing macaws, but my female, Zelda, is back in the nest box and looks like she's going to lay at any time.

This past summer a retiring breeder offered me a collection of birds. I didn't have room for 14 big birds, but I did take some of them and helped find homes for others. One of the pairs I acquired was a bonded pair of red-fronted macaws. They had never been given a nest box because she was winding down her career and focusing on other things. We paid her a very small amount for them and set them up with a nice cage and a nest box. Both of them are beautiful. Very sweet, but mischievous. In December they started mating and were going at it like newlyweds. Five times a day, before sunrise until after sunset. This went on for a good 10 days and then she went into the box. My other pair had bred, but they were just on the edge of maturity and the eggs weren't fertile. They also bred outside of the regular season, but this is Arizona, not Bolivia. Anyway, in early January I got curious and took a peek into the nest where I discovered 2 eggs. With it being their very first breeding I was happy to see eggs, but not putting a lot of faith in them being fertile. I made some notes and looked at my calendar where I decided that *IF* they were fertile we should see hatching around February 5th. I overestimated because I didn't know exactly when she laid them so I gave her 30 days instead of 26 - 28. Yesterday I noticed the male had food crusted on his beak, so out of curiosity I took a peek in the nest - and I found two little baby macaws and one more egg. What a surprise. Not only did we manage to get 3 eggs, but we also had fertile eggs as well. This afternoon I was putting a pair of macaws into a carrier to get their nails trimmed and with all the fuss they made, everyone got fired up. Both of the red fronts came out of the box so I used that opportunity to get a picture of the inside while they were both out. The 3rd egg hatched sometime earlier today. Now I have three little red-fronted macaws in the box. I'm being realistic about it - the littlest one may not survive, but mom and dad are working really hard keeping them fed. The largest one looks to be a good week older than the smallest and I'm considering pulling it early so that the parents have one less mouth to feed. I'm trying to balance that with not disturbing them and having them abandon the others.

I didn't have this issue with Freya because she was an only child. I would hate to disrupt these two and have them abandon or hurt the other two chicks. I was planning on pulling them on the 14th because that would put the oldest at between 2 and 3 weeks of age.

Suggestions?

View attachment 372384
Yay!!!! Baby birds! Congratulations!!!:loveshower:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd just call her Chris.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Baby Yoda. This is the last baby red fronted macaw for the year. We waited to put this one until it was about a month old. It seems far more robust that other chicks. I think we’ll wait to this age to pull them going forward. I wish I could have captured the look on my step sons face when I handed him this little thing right out of the nest box. It was a combination of terror and pure love.

79AFDD8F-B784-442A-B365-CBB575D07535.jpeg

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Oh what a gorgeous baby!!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww sooo cute!!!!!!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Penny and Tina went to the vet today. Penny is fully weaned and ready to go home. She also got her microchip today. Just like Kai, the Dr said she's beautiful. She's got a slight click in her left wing wrist joint by she flew around the room and hovered and the Dr said she did both beautifully and it obviously isn't an impediment to her. Just something to be aware of. She's so relaxed that she chilled out on her back for a while as we waited.

Tina also had a wellness exam. The Dr believes she is less than 2 years old due to her juvenile iris color and overall good physical condition. Being that the owner smoked in the apartment if she was 18 years old and had been with him the entire time her lungs would have been in pretty bad shape. The Dr said her lungs and air sacks sound clear. She also has a great range of motion in all of her limbs. She's overweight, but we knew that. The Dr said she's got a layer of fat under her skin and she looks like she has cleavage. The biggest issue when she came to us was to get her eating again. She's only been with us a month, but now that she's on a better diet we can work on getting her to slim down. Considering her history, she's in good shape.

Attachments

howdymjm

Meeting neighbors
I forget, is Tina a red-front? And the last clutch of red- fronts-- you just had one-- Penny?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I forget, is Tina a red-front? And the last clutch of red- fronts-- you just had one-- Penny?
Tina is a Blue & Gold that came to use at the end of June. Her owner went into the hospital and then passed away. The poor girl was home alone for weeks. Someone was coming and giving her food but other than that she had no interaction. The woman I picked her up from told me that Tina (then names Christopher) was a male and was 18 years old. I believe they don't really know the history and while the man may have had birds for 18 years, the family lived on the other side of the country so it may be information they pieced together once he was gone. As it turns out, Tinais a girl and the vet believes she is less than 2 due to her eye color and overall body condition.

Penny goes home tomorrow. Her mom is coming to pick her up in the evening.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Penny, aka Penelope Pickle, has gone home. Her mom was thrilled to death to finally meet her. The house is oddly quiet. Penny was constantly in motion and only quiet when she was sleeping. This evening she took a few flights around the office while she was hanging out with me. She tried to rip my glasses off my face, pull a piercing out and at one point she was hanging over the edge of my desk - hanging onto my laptop screen with her beak. I can't say I'm going to miss the screams and the ringing ears, but I will miss her presence.

IMG_3326.jpeg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Enjoy your new home, Penny!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Tina is a Blue & Gold that came to use at the end of June. Her owner went into the hospital and then passed away. The poor girl was home alone for weeks. Someone was coming and giving her food but other than that she had no interaction. The woman I picked her up from told me that Tina (then names Christopher) was a male and was 18 years old. I believe they don't really know the history and while the man may have had birds for 18 years, the family lived on the other side of the country so it may be information they pieced together once he was gone. As it turns out, Tinais a girl and the vet believes she is less than 2 due to her eye color and overall body condition.

Penny goes home tomorrow. Her mom is coming to pick her up in the evening.
It is 'sad'... that this story repeats itself "how many times" in the older bird world... While we [who are owned by the bird] know [and hopefully can remember] the full and correct story... who else does?
While I take notes and squirrel them away... who else would know where to look? Such IMPORTANT INFORMATION... and we DO WHAT with it? I am, by far, no better. But just reading this about Tina, etc... makes me want to do better!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is 'sad'... that this story repeats itself "how many times" in the older bird world... While we [who are owned by the bird] know [and hopefully can remember] the full and correct story... who else does?
While I take notes and squirrel them away... who else would know where to look? Such IMPORTANT INFORMATION... and we DO WHAT with it? I am, by far, no better. But just reading this about Tina, etc... makes me want to do better!
It's very sad that sometimes birds get passed along with no history at all. I see it so often working at the store. We get birds surrendered to us and either people say they don't know, or they write down complete garbage about the bird. It's like they just want to wash their hands of it and can't be bothered to help find a better home. I won't think less of them if they were just honest about it. Knowing nothing about the bird gives me a clean slate to work with, not a bunch of misinformation that may put me or the bird in a bad situation.

I have one of these pictures next to every cage. I figure if I go on vacation and something horrible happens, then the person who is taking care of my birds has some information about them. Anything to help make their next life better. At least it gives them an idea of who the birds are and they can address them by name when they are feeding or interacting with them.

Attachments

howdymjm

Meeting neighbors
It's very sad that sometimes birds get passed along with no history at all. I see it so often working at the store. We get birds surrendered to us and either people say they don't know, or they write down complete garbage about the bird. It's like they just want to wash their hands of it and can't be bothered to help find a better home. I won't think less of them if they were just honest about it. Knowing nothing about the bird gives me a clean slate to work with, not a bunch of misinformation that may put me or the bird in a bad situation.

I have one of these pictures next to every cage. I figure if I go on vacation and something horrible happens, then the person who is taking care of my birds has some information about them. Anything to help make their next life better. At least it gives them an idea of who the birds are and they can address them by name when they are feeding or interacting with them.
very thoughtful

Pat H

Real Name
Pat

That is a WONDERFUL idea!!!! I am truly impressed!
Q-- do you have a copy of everyone in another place?
And I don't see a date... [ie-- they are 20yr old ... when? this year?] Right now my memory is pretty good about when [approx] they were born/ rehomed/ etc.
This idea is WONDERFUL! Thank you.