• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions 2021

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh sorry I didn't mean to make it seem like I was in the market, I was just curious :rolleyes: Tho maybe in a few yrs

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, this has been a horrible month. I made arrangements to get the baby red fronts DNA tested. That all went well and was over quickly. They have been staying in a brooder box, so when they came home everyone was fine. That night he fed them their evening feeding and put them back in the box, BUT he closed the lid and sealed it. I never close the lid because they put off so much moisture from their breathing and other bodily functions that it doesn't take much for it to condense on the sides of the box. The next morning he's banging on the bedroom door telling me to get up because the babies are dead. Even with the heating pad under them, once the moisture built up two of them got chilled and died. I pulled the smallest one out and put it right on my chest, then wrapped it with a warm towel. After about 20 minutes it stopped shivering and is now doing just fine.

I don't know what possessed him to fully close the lid, but I'm heartbroken. Now he jumps out of bed every morning at 4am to check on all the babies and says he can't get the vision of the dead chicks out of his head. I'm not holding it against him. He did have major surgery a few weeks ago and hasn't been himself, but.....

The adults tried to triple clutch on us, but I moved them to a new cage and it interrupted their breeding. They don't need another clutch and I won't let them breed again until next spring.

In addition to this tragedy, I've been dealing with health issues of my own so I've been laying low and just dealing with life day by day. Hopefully, there will be better news soon.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry this happened. I guess the other chicks were unable to be resuscitated. :(

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Well, this has been a horrible month. I made arrangements to get the baby red fronts DNA tested. That all went well and was over quickly. They have been staying in a brooder box, so when they came home everyone was fine. That night he fed them their evening feeding and put them back in the box, BUT he closed the lid and sealed it. I never close the lid because they put off so much moisture from their breathing and other bodily functions that it doesn't take much for it to condense on the sides of the box. The next morning he's banging on the bedroom door telling me to get up because the babies are dead. Even with the heating pad under them, once the moisture built up two of them got chilled and died. I pulled the smallest one out and put it right on my chest, then wrapped it with a warm towel. After about 20 minutes it stopped shivering and is now doing just fine.

I don't know what possessed him to fully close the lid, but I'm heartbroken. Now he jumps out of bed every morning at 4am to check on all the babies and says he can't get the vision of the dead chicks out of his head. I'm not holding it against him. He did have major surgery a few weeks ago and hasn't been himself, but.....

The adults tried to triple clutch on us, but I moved them to a new cage and it interrupted their breeding. They don't need another clutch and I won't let them breed again until next spring.

In addition to this tragedy, I've been dealing with health issues of my own so I've been laying low and just dealing with life day by day. Hopefully, there will be better news soon.
Im so sorry, I hope things get better soon! Sending prayers to you and your family

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brian, that's heartbreaking. So sorry to hear that you lost two. Glad the survivor is doing well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Take care of yourself too, Brian. You have a lot on your plate.

I'm soo sorry the two babies are gone. We will mourn them.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Heartbreaking... but it happens... I know.
Thank God, most of us learn by our mistakes!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Take care of yourself too, Brian. You have a lot on your plate.

I'm soo sorry the two babies are gone. We will mourn them.
Thanks. It's been a strange few weeks. The last of my green cheeks went home today and the second clutch started hatching. That will be the end of my conure breeding for the year. The red-fronted macaws have triple clutched on me. As much as I tried to stop them it wasn't possible. They have always slept in the nest box even when not breeding, so moving them to a new cage wasn't enough to disrupt them. When cleaning the cage I discovered two eggs in the box. They are like newlyweds and just won't stop so the box will have to come down. The green wings may be breeding. I can't catch them, but I hear it.

My own medical testing continues and it appears will go on for some time to pin down exactly what the issue is. I'm resolved to not stress about it. Between home and the bird store, I'm so busy I don't have time to be stressed.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Thanks. It's been a strange few weeks. The last of my green cheeks went home today and the second clutch started hatching. That will be the end of my conure breeding for the year. The red-fronted macaws have triple clutched on me. As much as I tried to stop them it wasn't possible. They have always slept in the nest box even when not breeding, so moving them to a new cage wasn't enough to disrupt them. When cleaning the cage I discovered two eggs in the box. They are like newlyweds and just won't stop so the box will have to come down. The green wings may be breeding. I can't catch them, but I hear it.

My own medical testing continues and it appears will go on for some time to pin down exactly what the issue is. I'm resolved to not stress about it. Between home and the bird store, I'm so busy I don't have time to be stressed.
Just read this thread and wanted to wish you the best with your own health and your birds. I learned a lot from your posts and really appreciate your authenticity. Im sorry for the stress and the losses and send you my best wishes for all the self care you deserve.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is our baby girl - Penny, short for Penelope. She's the surviving chick of the clutch. The last to hatch, but she's got a big personality and an even bigger voice. I'm sending pictures to her momma tonight. This girl is going to be very red like her mom.

IMG_2840.jpeg

Last edited:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think this little girl is going to be stunning. She has so much red on the top of her head. Her brother, Kai, had only a little bit right above his beak. She's not even fully feathered yet and she's got a lot of it on her head and shoulders. I think she's going to be a lot like her mother. Either way, she's an absolute cuddle bug. We were on the floor for a while last night and no matter where I put her she waddled back over to me and crawled into my lap. I need to get her nails filed. They are like needles and she put a few holes in my shirt, and flesh, while she was climbing on me.

Attachments

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
So sorry to hear about the accident. You have Penny to help you slow down at times. What a charming baby!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone was very demanding of my time this evening. Penny started calling out to me the minute I walked in the door. It was a long day at the store and I was starving. I took enough time to change and eat before she got really loud. I put her in a towel and sat her on my lap for a while. She decided it was a good idea to chew on my finger. It was a good way to occupy her while I worked on her pine feathers with my other hand. Penny is moving into a cage tomorrow. It's time to start exploring and she's got enough feathers that she no longer needs a brooder box.

Now that all of the big birds are moved to the enclosed patio and into new cages it seems that love is in the air. I currently have 3 pairs of macaws on eggs. If all goes well, I could have green wings, harlequins, and red-fronted macaws hatching within 3 weeks of each other. I know what I'll be doing the rest of the year.

Attachments

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone had her first flight today. She didn't have a great landing, but she didn't crash either. Great for her self-confidence. This little girl is going to be so red. Her brother Kai had no red on his head at all. She's about 2 and a half months old and she looks like a 2-year-old red fronted that a friend owns. We haven't made a whole lot of progress towards weaning. I know she's eating some on her own, but her sister weaned at just over 100 days where her brother weaned before 90. I'm in no rush. It's more play time I get with her.

The next clutch has started to hatch. We've got 2 chicks out of 5 eggs that were laid. I'm not sure how many we will get from this one. Two will be plenty and then they are on a break until January at the earliest.

IMG_3074.jpeg IMG_3081.jpeg