• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions 2021

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
thanks for update. they are so cute

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Growing fast and almost caught up to each other. One is just over 300 grams and the other is just under. I'm trying to be hopeful, but I have concerns about the smallest one. Today I noticed that a nail has fallen off and the ankles appear to be swelling. There is an area on the bottom of each leg that looks like the injury on the wing. The skin is darker and it looks like a scab is forming. The baby is on a towel with good humidity and the towel is changed multiple times a day to prevent it from sitting on droppings. This one hatched 2 weeks after the oldest so maybe it didn't get turned properly as an egg, or it is part of the constricted digit syndrome. In either case, we'll do our best to give it the best life possible.

Attachments

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are really feathering out beautifully!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm heartbroken. I shared the pictures of the smallest one with the vet today. The feet look worse today than they did last night, and it's obvious that the tissue is dying. She feels the long-term prognosis is very poor. Treatment is an option but would be expensive, painful, and even if it were to survive, the limbs would most likely be lost or need to be amputated. There is no way to balance that with a good quality of life, so we made the decision to euthanize before things get worse. Tomorrow is going to suck.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I'm heartbroken. I shared the pictures of the smallest one with the vet today. The feet look worse today than they did last night, and it's obvious that the tissue is dying. She feels the long-term prognosis is very poor. Treatment is an option but would be expensive, painful, and even if it were to survive, the limbs would most likely be lost or need to be amputated. There is no way to balance that with a good quality of life, so we made the decision to euthanize before things get worse. Tomorrow is going to suck.
so sorry. the runts of a litter are always at risk. sucks, but that is life. think you are doing what's best and keep us up to date. good work, Brian.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m just so sorry to hear about the little one!!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I'm so sorry... You are aware of the health situation, and have obviously made wise choice attempts at their correction. Again, I'm so sorry...

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That thoroughly sucked. The Dr was amazing. He came out to talk to me about the chick and what the options were. He felt that there was the possibility we could save it, but treatment would be complex, ongoing, and we would probably find ourselves having that same conversation multiple times. After reviewing the pictures I had and his assessment we agreed that it wasn't thriving and treatment would not resolve that. They were very compassionate about it. I had no huge attachment to this little bird, but any loss of life wears on you. It's the reality of breeding. Not all eggs hatch, and not all chicks that hatch survive. Some make it against the odds, and some are not meant to be.

In better news, it looks like the parents are going to double clutch. I like to start my day with a quiet cup of coffee. The last few days it's been coffee and the unmistakable sound of mating macaws. I have conures on eggs and before too long, this house will be filled with the sound of hungry babies.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Sorry to hear that.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm sorry about the tiny one, but, I suppose, in reality, you did a a good thing by letting that baby go to the rainbow bridge,,just focus on the other two, and hope they grow well and healthy..

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry about the little one. Thank you for making a decision in their best interests, and for easing their way.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This little one is LOUD. Very demanding when it's time to be fed. I can't complain though, it's over 400 grams now and eating 50 ML 3 times a day. The sibling went to the bird store and is growing just as fast and just as loud.

IMG_1834 2.jpeg

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Hope you have good bedding to support his legs-- wonder if you get something 'humped' that he can stand on while you feed him so he won't get spraddled legs... just a suggestions/ question.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This little one looks so very silly. It looks like a cartoon character with a big head and a little body. DNA is pending. I should know sometime next week. I knew red-fronted macaws were loud, but I didn't expect the babies to be so loud. There is no mistaking this one when it is time to eat.

The parents have been breeding like crazy, but haven't laid yet. I'm not sure if they will double-clutch or not. I had not intended them to, but I knew it was a possibility when I removed the little one that didn't survive.

IMG_1954.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The DNA came back on Saturday and we have a boy! The other chick is a girl. Looks like mom has finally started laying and is now sitting on her first egg. I won't miss hearing them breeding 5 times a day. I didn't want them to double-clutch, but I knew when we pulled the little chick it was always a possibility. I've ordered new flight cages for all of the macaws and they should arrive around the time this clutch hatches. I'm going to hold off on hanging their nest box when they move to the new cage and make them take a break.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
The DNA came back on Saturday and we have a boy! The other chick is a girl. Looks like mom has finally started laying and is now sitting on her first egg. I won't miss hearing them breeding 5 times a day. I didn't want them to double-clutch, but I knew when we pulled the little chick it was always a possibility. I've ordered new flight cages for all of the macaws and they should arrive around the time this clutch hatches. I'm going to hold off on hanging their nest box when they move to the new cage and make them take a break.
Bet you're excited! :bliss:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
That's disappointing to hear about the smallest, but it is life... The other 2 look clean, healthy and happy. Good luck with them!! I spoke to Wendy a couple of times years ago, when I was trying to decide between a green wing or a red front. She was great to talk to and I really appreciated her experience and willingness to talk. I think you're lucky to have her in your arsenal of contacts.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Eight days since the last picture and this little boy is a lot more feathered out than before. I had to work on the tail feathers. The tips were showing and some mid-shaft feather was showing, but the sheaths were still there. He actually sat still while I worked on breaking them up for him.

IMG_2062.jpeg

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mom and dad have been busy. About 10 days ago she disappeared into the box and they stopped mating. I'm not going to miss that because hearing them scream and carry on 5 times a day was getting old. Yesterday I went in to change their food and water and both of them came screaming out of the nest box. They normally ignore me, but I guess something I did offended them. While they were both on the perch screaming at me I took the opportunity to lift the access door of the nest box and snap a quick picture.

I figured they would double clutch when we took that little one away from her, but for her to lay 5 eggs is a shock. She had a 100% hatch rate for her very first clutch ever, and I wonder if that will hold true for this one.

The new flight cages are on the way and should arrive in the next week. When this clutch is pulled, I'm going to move them to the new cage and not put the nest box up again until the fall. Mom and Dad will be taking a vacation, and then maybe I will too.

eggs.jpg