• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New additions 2021

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, this thread isn't about my greenwing macaws, but my female, Zelda, is back in the nest box and looks like she's going to lay at any time.

This past summer a retiring breeder offered me a collection of birds. I didn't have room for 14 big birds, but I did take some of them and helped find homes for others. One of the pairs I acquired was a bonded pair of red-fronted macaws. They had never been given a nest box because she was winding down her career and focusing on other things. We paid her a very small amount for them and set them up with a nice cage and a nest box. Both of them are beautiful. Very sweet, but mischievous. In December they started mating and were going at it like newlyweds. Five times a day, before sunrise until after sunset. This went on for a good 10 days and then she went into the box. My other pair had bred, but they were just on the edge of maturity and the eggs weren't fertile. They also bred outside of the regular season, but this is Arizona, not Bolivia. Anyway, in early January I got curious and took a peek into the nest where I discovered 2 eggs. With it being their very first breeding I was happy to see eggs, but not putting a lot of faith in them being fertile. I made some notes and looked at my calendar where I decided that *IF* they were fertile we should see hatching around February 5th. I overestimated because I didn't know exactly when she laid them so I gave her 30 days instead of 26 - 28. Yesterday I noticed the male had food crusted on his beak, so out of curiosity I took a peek in the nest - and I found two little baby macaws and one more egg. What a surprise. Not only did we manage to get 3 eggs, but we also had fertile eggs as well. This afternoon I was putting a pair of macaws into a carrier to get their nails trimmed and with all the fuss they made, everyone got fired up. Both of the red fronts came out of the box so I used that opportunity to get a picture of the inside while they were both out. The 3rd egg hatched sometime earlier today. Now I have three little red-fronted macaws in the box. I'm being realistic about it - the littlest one may not survive, but mom and dad are working really hard keeping them fed. The largest one looks to be a good week older than the smallest and I'm considering pulling it early so that the parents have one less mouth to feed. I'm trying to balance that with not disturbing them and having them abandon the others.

I didn't have this issue with Freya because she was an only child. I would hate to disrupt these two and have them abandon or hurt the other two chicks. I was planning on pulling them on the 14th because that would put the oldest at between 2 and 3 weeks of age.

Suggestions?

IMG_1571.JPG

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Baby birds are adorable in their own featherless ugly way. :lol: They will be beautiful Macaws one day. :heart2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ohhh :congrats5:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are sooooo precious! Yay!

Is it possible to co-parent with the birds using your current set-up? Offer up supplementary feedings for the chicks so that parents get a break, and the chicks are supported? (bear in mind, I am not a breeder and have no experience--just a thought).

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are sooooo precious! Yay!

Is it possible to co-parent with the birds using your current set-up? Offer up supplementary feedings for the chicks so that parents get a break, and the chicks are supported? (bear in mind, I am not a breeder and have no experience--just a thought).
These guys would kill me for trying to co-parent. Just coming into the room and the male sticks his head out of the box and yells at me. There is no way I could take a baby for feeding and then put it back... and I kinda like my fingers. I've been checking several times a day and topping off their food dish so that it never runs low. I also put a separate dish in there for almonds, nutriberries, and other things just to give them a little extra fat in their diet until I can get the babies out.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This is so neat! How'd you get the photos with your fingers intact?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just coming into the room and the male sticks his head out of the box and yells at me. There is no way I could take a baby for feeding and then put it back... and I kinda like my fingers.
Well, that's out! I get it. I like my fingers, too!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is so neat! How'd you get the photos with your fingers intact?
I was taking another pair out of their cage and everyone was agitated over it. Both of the red-fronted macaws came out of the nest to see what was going on. While they were being nosey neighbors, I managed to take a quick picture of the babies.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Keep us up to date on their progress and the breeding. So interesting and good luck with all three. You are near Wendy. You happen to get from her? Again great work.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep us up to date on their progress and the breeding. So interesting and good luck with all three. You are near Wendy. You happen to get from her? Again great work.
Do you mean Wendy's Parrots?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, Wendy's Parrots.
Wendy retired from active breeding a few years ago. I acquired several birds from her last summer. The pair that produced these chicks is one of them. They had never been given a nest box because she was starting to wind down her breeding program. She was really nice and the flock she had left was full of beautiful birds.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I LOVE RFMs. Keep the updates coming, please.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
With there being 3 chicks and the parents working non-stop to keep them fed we decided to pull the two largest chicks. There is a good week of age difference between the two oldest and youngest. Our fear is that the smallest won’t get fed enough to survive. These two are just starting to open their eyes and their feeding response is really good.

Attachments

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
With there being 3 chicks and the parents working non-stop to keep them fed we decided to pull the two largest chicks. There is a good week of age difference between the two oldest and youngest. Our fear is that the smallest won’t get fed enough to survive. These two are just starting to open their eyes and their feeding response is really good.
Thanks for info and good luck. Great you are close to Wendy as she might be able to help you out if needed and maybe she can pass the reins over to you on breeding RFM. How many RFM has she got left if you know?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for info and good luck. Great you are close to Wendy as she might be able to help you out if needed and maybe she can pass the reins over to you on breeding RFM. How many RFM has she got left if you know?
I'm not sure how many red fronts she has left. There were several that I could see as well as some pet birds that she was keeping. It' seen several months since I've heard from her so that may have changed by now. I would love to have several more pairs of them. They are just amazing birds.

I did some digging into RFMs and an average growth chart. It looks like the two I pulled are right at 15 days when you look at the average weight for them. I'm not sure how we ended up with 2 chicks and then another one hatching almost 2 weeks later. I did find the 4th egg in the box when I discovered the 3rd chick had hatched. When I pull the two largest chicks I could no longer find it. Probably for the best. The parents looked exhausted anyway.

Last edited:

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The three miscreants. The two older ones are aware of the environment now and start squawking when they see me. We pulled the smaller one yesterday. It has an injury on the underside of the right wing. We're not sure what caused it, but we pulled it to make sure we could get it treated with an antibiotic. This nest box has the shredded aspen in it, and I do sometimes find sharp pieces that haven't been broken up enough. Maybe it got scratched by that, or perhaps one of the parents did it accidentally. I'm pretty sure it hatched on Feb 5th, so it's not quite 2 weeks old. It doesn't look to be in danger of losing the wing, and it has a good feeding response. I think in the long term everything will be ok. I keep it with the others, but in a little container by itself. I don't want the siblings to hurt it by accident.

You can see the personalities of the bigger two developing. Both are very demanding when being fed. Both are eating 20 ML 5 or 6 times a day now. One will eat the whole thing at once, and the other will take 15 and then wait a few minutes before wanting the rest. The bigger one is just under 300 grams and the other is about 270 grams. It won't be long before they catch up to each other.

Attachments