• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New addition

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
Hello! I just got a brown headed parrot named Skittles that was an owner surrender. He is 21 years old and took to me immediately at the store. I had been visiting my baby cockatoo while she was weaning and Skittles just took to me so well. So even after I brought Chloe my cockatoo home I kept visiting Skittles once a week. I convinced my husband we should adopt him, and we bought his cage and toys earlier in the week. While I was out of town Friday, my husband brought Skittles home, so on Saturday when I returned I was surprised that Skittles was there! He is much more vocal here than he was at the store. He was so quiet there. He makes lots of beeps and mumbles. What noises do they normally make? He was surrendered for being “too loud” at 21 years old. At the store he was very quiet, just some mumbling and the occasional meep meep sound. Also what toys do brown headed parrots like? Any common traits they all share? When he is out of the cage he gets a lot quieter. Any favorite foods? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's beautiful!
So wonderful that you were able to bring him home and offer him a good life :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
How sweet is that! Skittles was begging to join your flock, and you listened! Well done

:congrats5: :starshower1::starshower:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Hi! I do, as you can see from my profile pic! Noise wise they sound like most of their poi family and can do a poi call, but honestly Slade (my guy) is pretty quiet. He normally does grumpy duck sounds, and says a few words here are there. He will flock call, which is pretty shrill, but honestly not much compared to a cockatoo. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask! I adopted Slade at 8 years hold (he's 9 now) because of biting. I'm his forth (and final) home. I love this species and they don't nearly get the love they deserve. Thank you so much for seeing the beauty in his little soul!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations:)

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I love your story! Thank you for giving Skittles a home and a family to call his own ❤

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Also what toys do brown headed parrots like? Any common traits they all share? When he is out of the cage he gets a lot quieter. Any favorite foods? Thank you in advance.
Sorry missed this bit! He enjoys wood, that's his favorite type of material, but cardboard is also liked here and there. My suggestion is to try a few different things and see what he likes the most. They have powerful beaks so they can definitely handle bigger toys. Slade uses macaw sized! They're very affectionate birds usually, especially once they get use to their environment. You have to work to keep him from being a one person bird though, that can happen with them super easily and I know another woman who her's adores her husband and will bite her if she gets to close. Slade was on an all seed diet when I got him, now he eats almost anything. He doesn't particularly like anything wet (like fresh food) but loves freeze dried food made specifically for parrots (we have a few vendors who make it here!). Birdie bread is another one he really enjoys. I feed him the Tropimix macaw sized food, along with freeze dried food every day.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! He's very cute!

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
Sorry missed this bit! He enjoys wood, that's his favorite type of material, but cardboard is also liked here and there. My suggestion is to try a few different things and see what he likes the most. They have powerful beaks so they can definitely handle bigger toys. Slade uses macaw sized! They're very affectionate birds usually, especially once they get use to their environment. You have to work to keep him from being a one person bird though, that can happen with them super easily and I know another woman who her's adores her husband and will bite her if she gets to close. Slade was on an all seed diet when I got him, now he eats almost anything. He doesn't particularly like anything wet (like fresh food) but loves freeze dried food made specifically for parrots (we have a few vendors who make it here!). Birdie bread is another one he really enjoys. I feed him the Tropimix macaw sized food, along with freeze dried food every day.
He came to us on Zupreem Naturals and a nut mix the lady called boca nuts or something like that. I have offered chop every day but he will nibble it then has no interest. I will keep trying though. He ate a blueberry I gave him though.I have several types of toys to see what he likes bit he doesn’t mess with them. he just likes to sit on a perch on his door. Sometimes he checks out the cage top since it is a Playtop but so far likes the door the best.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
He came to us on Zupreem Naturals and a nut mix the lady called boca nuts or something like that. I have offered chop every day but he will nibble it then has no interest. I will keep trying though. He ate a blueberry I gave him though.I have several types of toys to see what he likes bit he doesn’t mess with them. he just likes to sit on a perch on his door. Sometimes he checks out the cage top since it is a Playtop but so far likes the door the best.
They can take a while, especially when he's that old (which I was also excited to hear his age!). Just keep trying, and be patient, it sounds like you're doing both already though :D Any questions at all though, I'm just PM away :heart:

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
He is letting me take him away from his cage, but sometimes when I return him, he bites me like a warning nip. I think it is because I had turned my hand a little to place him on the door perch, but it surprises me when he nips, because he never used to at the store. I hope he adjusts and sees that he can trust me. I know it is just a warning because it doesn’t hurt much and he lets go quickly.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley is a Jardine's (Poicephalus family like the Brown Head) and very rarely bites me. BUT if I'm giving him a ride to somewhere he doesn't want to go he does nip me.

Hammons

Meeting neighbors
So Skittles has been pretty hormonal lately I think. He keeps displaying his wings for me and when I hold him he tries regurgitating motions and sometimes he actually gets worked up enough to try rubbing himself on me. When he acts like this I just return him to his cage top. But lately he has been fluttering to the floor and when I pick him up to return him to his cage he bites me pretty viciously. It hurts so bad and pierces skin. I have started to just be more hands off with him since he is so bitey but still allow him out of his cage. I just keep hoping to not have to pick him up.Today he is showing a new behavior he is crouching while fluffing up occasionally. I took a pic. What does this mean? And any advice on handling. I already tried a small T perch, he is terrified of it so far.

Attachments