• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Addition

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Well, I didn’t plan for this little guy today...
A8C1F4A1-E291-41C5-9E18-0FB51C9BF2CE.jpeg

But he’s here, he’s adorable, and I love him. :heart: Dad brought him home today - I had no idea! My parents hadn’t said anything about a friend for Jorge. He’s quite a bit bigger than Jorge, I hope that doesn’t cause problems? Right now he is in his own tank. We’ll give him time to settle in and then introduce them.

Here’s a picture that gives you an idea of his size.
E073E5C7-9F18-436A-9BA6-ABBC1BD12B0B.jpeg

That’s the little container he came in. :( I don’t like those containers, but now he’s settled in his own tank, and he’s been served dinner.
E58A1F0A-C076-4EE5-A9FC-4A3FD690242C.jpeg

I don’t like people being surprised with pets. I wanted to prepare a bit more for a second crab, but I guess now I’ll have to speed all of that up. Oh yeah, and Dad already picked out a name: Pickett! A strange name for a hermie, but honestly I think it fits him perfectly. Welcome to the family little Pickett. :)

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Right now his little temporary tank has been placed in my sister’s room till I find a spot in my room for a larger tank I’ve been wanting to get for the 2 hermit crabs. I went in there earlier and he was pretty far out of his shell, just walking around. He’s been so active since we got him home and seems even less frightened of people than Jorge is. His eyeballs are so cute, too!
5F34B00A-5082-42CE-BE3C-7561DF2A32D2.jpeg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awww - he's a cutie - love his name too!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm curious if anyone else on here has successfully kept hermit crabs of different sizes? My nephew picked out two when he was about 6. "Dorothy" was the smaller one and "Toto" was much larger. He was very upset when Toto pulled Dorothy from her shell. :( I don't remember what they said happened after that but she did not survive.

Hopefully someone has had more positive experiences with them, but I felt I should at least mention it as a cautionary tale. I hope they can be housed together for company, but if not perhaps a divided enclosure like some people keep male bettas in could work?

Pickett is a good looking fella. Is he named from the stick creature from Fantastic Beasts? That movie had the neatest creatures. :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
He's cute! Nice shell and what a nice feast he has!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thank you, all! :)

I'm curious if anyone else on here has successfully kept hermit crabs of different sizes? My nephew picked out two when he was about 6. "Dorothy" was the smaller one and "Toto" was much larger. He was very upset when Toto pulled Dorothy from her shell. :( I don't remember what they said happened after that but she did not survive.

Hopefully someone has had more positive experiences with them, but I felt I should at least mention it as a cautionary tale. I hope they can be housed together for company, but if not perhaps a divided enclosure like some people keep male bettas in could work?

Oh no, that's so sad! :( I will definitely be looking into this issue some more. I hope they can be housed together, too, but I want them to be safe, as well! I think I'd be able to divide a tank between them worst case if they can't be kept together. Thank you for letting me know about the potential issue.

Pickett is a good looking fella. Is he named from the stick creature from Fantastic Beasts? That movie had the neatest creatures. :)

Haha, yes! :D When dad came home he handed me the container Pickett was in and said, "It's Pickett." I was so confused but couldn't believe my eyes when I looked down. My father had chosen that name for him while he was driving home. Our Pickett may not be a stick creature, but I think the name fits him well. :) And yes, I agree about all of the creatures in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them! The Bowtruckles and Nifflers are my favorite. :heart:

Congratulations on your new family member :)
Awww - he's a cutie - love his name too!

He's cute! Nice shell and what a nice feast he has!

Thank you! Dinner was greens, fruit, oak leaves, nuts, and shrimp... yum. :roflmao: Not much but I hope he liked it!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I noticed the new part on your signature lines but was sad that Jorge and Pickett don't have emojis. So I tried searching for the tiniest hermit crab pics that still look like hermit crabs & I was wondering if any of these would work for your guys.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I noticed the new part on your signature lines but was sad that Jorge and Pickett don't have emojis. So I tried searching for the tiniest hermit crab pics that still look like hermit crabs & I was wondering if any of these would work for your guys.

Haha, that's so sweet of you! :) I'll definitely try to get one of those in there. Thanks. :D

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:yfbudgie: Skittles; :budgie: Nico; :dog5: Gizmo; :dog3: Odie; :blkcat: Yoda; :blkcat: Gemma;
Jorge
Pickett
Hahaha wonderful! :loveshower: They look great! Now if I can just find the Yoda kitty I used before....

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Also, I put their names in blue words instead of pink, but to be honest we're not completely sure if they're males. In fact, I've no idea how to tell. :think1: I'm going to have to research that.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Truth be told, we're only sure of Harley and the G2s. :shrug3: The goffins because we had them tested (and how many times has that been wrong for people!) and Harley because she's an egg factory. :faint: At least we're 100% sure about her.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I found the one I used for his gotcha day, but I forgot it had a smiley with it:

Nyan cat cracked me up. The 2nd one might be too big. But if there's a way to clip the third one you would have Yoda and Gemma!

Last edited:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I found the one I used for his gotcha day, but I forgot it had a smiley with it:

Nyan cat cracked me up. The 2nd one might be too big. But if there's a way to clip the third one you would have Yoda and Gemma!

I appreciate you doing this for me! I did just try to paste the second cat in my signature but it said I can only have two images in my signature (the hermit crabs are already). I'll continue to try to find a way, though! Thank you!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
What do you do when they grow out of their shell???

You just give them several different shells of different sizes. They’ll change whenever they want/need to. :) When my dad first heard that they needed to change shells, he imagined us pulling the hermit crabs out of their shells and putting them in new ones. :eek: