• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New addition is a little worse off than I was told…

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Well, I am on my way home with the quaker I had posted about being on an all seed diet. He is a little bit worse off than I was led to believe, he’s a little scraggly looking (I don’t think it’s molt type scraggly, more like poor nutrition scraggly and quite possibly underweight. I’ll have a better idea of his weight when we get home in a couple of hours. He’s extremely skittish, like he hasn’t been handled in a good long while. He’s already got a vet appt scheduled for next week, and will be quarantined until the vet gives us the ok.

I guess it’s good that I like a challenge.

He has a name, but apparently doesn’t know it, so I figured a fresh start deserves a fresh name. Any suggestions?

Attachments

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
So adorable! I hope all is well with your new addition!
What about a name like Gyro, or volt? His striking blue feathers remind me of Lightning hitting water :heart2:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
How about a name that indicates the fresh start?

- Flipside (Flip)
- Palimpsest (Pal)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations!

I'd see if he's neutral to or likes his name when it's said before changing it.

If you're determined to change it, I suggest Renata (if the new quaker is a girl) or Renatus (if it's a boy). They both mean reborn or born again. Seems appropriate & I think that bird wants a sophisticated name. :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
:congrats5: He/she is gorgeous keep us updated how they get on :heart:
What’s the name he/she already as ?
Blue or storm would be my name looks like the sky before a storm
I really hope they settle quickly in a good home and vet visit comes back all good/clear can’t wait for more pictures

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Welcome home new quaker!

Please make sure to offer all his junk food at first , in addition you can put out as many other bowls of stuff you want him to eat or try. Plus millet spray to really tempting.
Going to a new home is very stressful. You want to get the most calories you can in them for the first few days
Sounds like you are a huge improvement from his old home!

To me he looks like probably hsdnt had bath opportunities ( but I hold off the first few days on this ) and molting. Possibly not preen himself.

The eyes closing can indicate he is exhausted from the stress of traveling to new home. Has not been getting enough food. Or health issues.

I urge really baby a bird the first week in your home. No matter if came from a breeder, or pet store , rescue or re home. Birds live a fine line metabolically. A day of being off their feed, not drinking enough a way bigger impact on them than other species like dogs, cats, humans and such. Being so intelligent, and a prey species they undergo a lot of stress in changing homes. Even happy well adjusted ones. So I really pamper them, millet , treat sticks, warm mashed sweet potatoes if they will take plus whatever junk they had before. There is plenty of time to improve diet later. Anxiety, food, and stress are linked. Most birds eat less the first few days in a new home. And a thin , molting, or sick bird needs all the calories they can get.

How old? How long did they have?

I'm really hoping he/she was just suffering lack of proper care. As many people can under feed or un knowing limit food offered or offer stuff the parrot isn't interested in eating with lack of experience.

Anyway beautiful quaker. Wishing you much joy and love with your new friend

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for helping him.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Welcome home new quaker!

Please make sure to offer all his junk food at first , in addition you can put out as many other bowls of stuff you want him to eat or try. Plus millet spray to really tempting.
Going to a new home is very stressful. You want to get the most calories you can in them for the first few days
Sounds like you are a huge improvement from his old home!

To me he looks like probably hsdnt had bath opportunities ( but I hold off the first few days on this ) and molting. Possibly not preen himself.

The eyes closing can indicate he is exhausted from the stress of traveling to new home. Has not been getting enough food. Or health issues.

I urge really baby a bird the first week in your home. No matter if came from a breeder, or pet store , rescue or re home. Birds live a fine line metabolically. A day of being off their feed, not drinking enough a way bigger impact on them than other species like dogs, cats, humans and such. Being so intelligent, and a prey species they undergo a lot of stress in changing homes. Even happy well adjusted ones. So I really pamper them, millet , treat sticks, warm mashed sweet potatoes if they will take plus whatever junk they had before. There is plenty of time to improve diet later. Anxiety, food, and stress are linked. Most birds eat less the first few days in a new home. And a thin , molting, or sick bird needs all the calories they can get.

How old? How long did they have?

I'm really hoping he/she was just suffering lack of proper care. As many people can under feed or un knowing limit food offered or offer stuff the parrot isn't interested in eating with lack of experience.

Anyway beautiful quaker. Wishing you much joy and love with your new friend
Hoooooooo buddy are you about to laugh at my next post….

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Will it be here? Or a new thread? :)
Is going to be happily chowing
down?! :)

Last edited:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Well, I am on my way home with the quaker I had posted about being on an all seed diet. He is a little bit worse off than I was led to believe, he’s a little scraggly looking (I don’t think it’s molt type scraggly, more like poor nutrition scraggly and quite possibly underweight. I’ll have a better idea of his weight when we get home in a couple of hours. He’s extremely skittish, like he hasn’t been handled in a good long while. He’s already got a vet appt scheduled for next week, and will be quarantined until the vet gives us the ok.

I guess it’s good that I like a challenge.

He has a name, but apparently doesn’t know it, so I figured a fresh start deserves a fresh name. Any suggestions?
How about Blu, sapphire, or Bluebell?