• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New 125 gallon Tank!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I love it all!

So, it's a little boring and takes a long time to grow, but you can make all sorts of things with Java moss. I broke my "floating mountain" a few weeks ago, but using that method could "make" other plants with the moss. Especially with those big guys that aren't going to get caught up in the tangled new growth, and might be less interesting for any of them to want to destroy. You basically wrap your objects with the moss and then secure with fishing line, wait for growth, trim to shape, voila!

Tree: bamboo or something for the trunk, Styrofoam ball on top like an eraser, rock to root it, wrap it up (trunk too if you want), wait.

Floating mountain : Styrofoam in the shape you want (or rock if you're hanging rather than floating), wrap, secure to rock if you're floating, hang from the top if you want.

If you carve your foam or build things that are plant looking with it, you can make any kind of garden that strikes your fancy!

I just took out several pounds of moss. If I didn't have trumpets I would send it to you!

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Yes, I am! I was told by the local fish store that the cichlid should be the only resident, that he will eat tank mates. But he's got a bunch of guppies in there, among others, and shows no signs of aggression. (I've never had a cichlid, btw. )
So we're going to get some and try them. Since he was used to angelfish, I might try those. I wanted Rainbow fish but read that they can be dither fish (bait) for cichlids.
He's also thwarting my entire plan, usualy I do planted tanks, like little underwater gardens. But cichlids dig up plants. :D QUOTE]
If you want plants in the tank you can try it (some people have success), just realize it may or may not be successful. My parents personally tried plants that cichlids are suppose to ignore, but they had no success. Their cichlids loved to eat those plants.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
125 gallon tank...wow.
I keep thinking about starting a new tank and getting new fish but after I lost my last Cory I think I'm done.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
125 gallon tank...wow.
I keep thinking about starting a new tank and getting new fish but after I lost my last Cory I think I'm done.
We have decided to shut down our tank when our last fish pass. I was thinking of making it a terrarium?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have decided to shut down our tank when our last fish pass. I was thinking of making it a terrarium?
You could get some interesting miniature plants to put in the terrarium. I was thinking of creating a terrarium but thought it might just be a pain to take care of.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You could get some interesting miniature plants to put in the terrarium. I was thinking of creating a terrarium but thought it might just be a pain to take care of.
Desert terrarium. Water every once in a while. Done.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
There's a guy that has done some terrariums (and aquariums and paludariums) on Youtube.

OH wait Ali was it you who recommended him? :roflmao: SerpaDesign.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I love it all!

So, it's a little boring and takes a long time to grow, but you can make all sorts of things with Java moss. I broke my "floating mountain" a few weeks ago, but using that method could "make" other plants with the moss. Especially with those big guys that aren't going to get caught up in the tangled new growth, and might be less interesting for any of them to want to destroy. You basically wrap your objects with the moss and then secure with fishing line, wait for growth, trim to shape, voila!

Tree: bamboo or something for the trunk, Styrofoam ball on top like an eraser, rock to root it, wrap it up (trunk too if you want), wait.

Floating mountain : Styrofoam in the shape you want (or rock if you're hanging rather than floating), wrap, secure to rock if you're floating, hang from the top if you want.

If you carve your foam or build things that are plant looking with it, you can make any kind of garden that strikes your fancy!

I just took out several pounds of moss. If I didn't have trumpets I would send it to you!
Hey I don't mind trumpets; the clown loaches keep them under control!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Cichlids can be gravel movers. That’s why a lot of their tanks are plain, except for heavy items they can’t move.

I think the continued mural might make your tank pop. Stand out.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Adorable fishies!

I'm going to paint a mural on that wall. I'm thinking about bringing the wall color and the mural across the (ugly) aquarium stand. Is that too kitschy?
I love painting the back of aquariums. If you use acrylic paint you can scrap it off easily and replace it so it is pretty drama free. If you don't like your mural no worries :) Or you could get super fancy and change it seasonally or for holidays!

I personally painted my 475L with a matte black. I had Ranchus and this helped them look amazing. The fish don't mind dark colours. If you do go for vivid and colourful I would avoid colours that may upset your cichlids. I am not sure of your specific fishes' needs, but I know my little rams (from years ago) got very angry at red.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hey I don't mind trumpets; the clown loaches keep them under control!
If you're game, you can have several handfuls!

Edit to say these trumpets are to blame for the breaking of my floating mountain! I was trying to scoop some of them out, and caught the anchor line, and it was a frustrating mess.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Adorable fishies!

I love painting the back of aquariums. If you use acrylic paint you can scrap it off easily and replace it so it is pretty drama free. If you don't like your mural no worries :) Or you could get super fancy and change it seasonally or for holidays!

I personally painted my 475L with a matte black. I had Ranchus and this helped them look amazing. The fish don't mind dark colours. If you do go for vivid and colourful I would avoid colours that may upset your cichlids. I am not sure of your specific fishes' needs, but I know my little rams (from years ago) got very angry at red.
I did this on my 10 gallons as well as a spare 5 and my frog's 29. The fish tanks have black backgrounds, and my frog's tank has a green/brown background (I used a sponge to apply multiple colors of paint). I just used plain old Apple Barrel acrylics. One day I would like to do the back of my 40 breeder as well.

It would be fun to try an acrylic pour on a tank! Although it would probably have to be a dirty pour, I don't think you could manage a flip cup pour without getting paint everywhere.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Although it would probably have to be a dirty pour, I don't think you could manage a flip cup pour without getting paint everywhere.
I wanted to laugh and heart this one at the same time.

You know, you could do a pour on a canvas (one not attached to a frame, which is very inexpensive) and fasten it to the back of the tank.

My tank, being an older one, has that blue actually in the glass. No changing for me. I like it tho.

EDIT: @fashionfobie My mural is gonna be on the wall behind the tank. And maybe on the tank stand.