• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Never ending Regurgitation wiggle

Mr.Zazu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mercades
Hi everyone! My first post here! I spent some time looking through the existing posts to see if I could find anything that narrowed into my subject, though nothing I didn’t already understand through previous research.

I have a wonderful green cheek named Zazu, who’s celebrated his first birthday in October. I love him to bits and it’s pretty apparent he loves me too!
I say this because for the last three months I’ve noticed a steady incline in how often he does his regurgitation wiggles for me.
At first it was just during times of over stimulation, giving him a few too many kisses, indulging him with nesting in my neck and excessive neck scratches all seemed to be triggers for the wiggle so I decided to cut those things back and stop the interactions when it got to the point of him wiggling. But despite my efforts to be more mindful of hormonal triggers it just seems to get more and more excessive. Talking and chirping with him, presenting him treats, sometimes just LOOKING at him is enough to trigger his regurgitation wiggle.
I know he’s doing it because he loves me and wants me to eat and be happy but I’m starting to worry about him.
Sometimes he’ll wiggle for a minute and swallow back down the food in his crop, other times he outright vomits his food crop along the bars of his cage like he’s trying to get it within eating distance of me.
I love him so much but I get anxious when talking to him and wishing him good mornings is enough to start minute long wiggle fits.
Has anyone ever dealt with a conure that insists on vomiting for you just at the mere sight of your presence?
at this point I’d say 7 out of 10 times I take him out for free time/ play time he’s got the wiggles going before I even get the cage unlocked.

is there something going on beyond interrupting me as a mate and will he ever be able to dance and sing with me again without going through a regurgitation wiggle fit?

any advice would be welcomed. Im just not sure if doing that wiggle every single day for months is going to harm him physically or mentally :S

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Start with a vet check. Then start working on training. I usually turn away or set them down when they regurgitate for me. But I don’t have any that are Uber consistent.

Mr.Zazu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mercades
Start with a vet check. Then start working on training. I usually turn away or set them down when they regurgitate for me. But I don’t have any that are Uber consistent.
thank you so much for replying, I’ll definitely start seeking a quality aviary vet around my area, I’ve never had to take him to a vet before so ive yet to smooth out those details. I did mention my concerns to the breeder I purchased him from (he gets brought in once every couple months for a free nail trimming)
The breeder told me a few things most bird owners already know, like why they regurgitation wiggle and common hormone triggers.
I do try desperately to make his environment as un-sexually exciting as I can lmao
Putting my hair up in a tight bun and not wearing baggy sweaters with places he can nest and hide has helped tenfolds when it comes to the moments he regurgitation wiggles while we veg out and watch TV.
Trying to find small solutions has been hit or miss,
Some aspects are easier to control than others.
I just get worried and flustered when there are (from what I can see) no triggers except simply existing in his presence.
some days he’s so obsessive about doing it while I’m near him that I get worried enough to leave his sight hoping it relaxes him.
Sadly that has never helped though because he screams when I’m gone.

I’ll have to keep everyone updated when I find him a vet,
And if anyone wants to know more information about his care or daily routine to help pinpoint if I’m doing something wrong, please please don’t hesitate to ask.
I’d do literally anything to not have to watch my poor lil bird regurgitate full crops multiple times a day