• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Never Ending Moult

SunnyDay

Moving in
Hello, my male canary is 3 years old. He went through his full moult last autumn, which progressively slowed but never finished entirely. We adopted a puppy around the same time which was a change made in the household. For the last 7 months my bird has been shedding at least 2-5 feathers daily, and he has not sung at all this year.

He is in a good spot in the living room, with lots of natural daylight, out of direct sunlight. He is covered at sunset. He has seed, water, toys, and fresh food. On warm summer days he comes into the garden with me. He tweets, bathes, eats well and seems happy. The household is calm and quiet and our puppy isn't going near his cage. He has daily cage-free flight time in a room entirely to himself. I play male canary song videos which prompt him to sing - but no sound comes out of him.

I realise shedding feathers continuously isn't a healthy thing. Any ideas what is going on and what I can do?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does he have any patchy spots or where you can see his down or anything?

The natural sunlight... Is it ever unfiltered (not through a window)?

I don't know much about canaries in general but feather growth is a taxing event on the body, and requires ample nutrients. The body may also restrict feather growth during times where nutrients are lean or the bird is stressed so it can use what it does get for survival.

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Hello, my male canary is 3 years old. He went through his full moult last autumn, which progressively slowed but never finished entirely. We adopted a puppy around the same time which was a change made in the household. For the last 7 months my bird has been shedding at least 2-5 feathers daily, and he has not sung at all this year.

He is in a good spot in the living room, with lots of natural daylight, out of direct sunlight. He is covered at sunset. He has seed, water, toys, and fresh food. On warm summer days he comes into the garden with me. He tweets, bathes, eats well and seems happy. The household is calm and quiet and our puppy isn't going near his cage. He has daily cage-free flight time in a room entirely to himself. I play male canary song videos which prompt him to sing - but no sound comes out of him.

I realise shedding feathers continuously isn't a healthy thing. Any ideas what is going on and what I can do?
I would check if there is any stress marks on the feathers.

Blueszz

Meeting neighbors
He has seed, water, toys, and fresh food
Thinking out loud.
For feather growth protein is needed and more than seed can provide. Do you feed him egg food during molting? You don’t have egg food listed.