• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Neurological problem with pet conure

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
Just wondering if anyone has experience with this. We have a year and a half old pineapple conure (Piney) and for the last week has been clumsy and stumbling, unable to perch properly, cannot use her feet to grip food, just very awkward behaviour. She is not eating the foods she loves, just bananas and a few seeds. The other night she took off in an erratic flight, just going crazy and flying around and around, then landed on the ground face-first. So we took her to the avian vet today. She said it could be a neurological problem, possible swelling of the brain, and gave us medication to give her for 5 days to reduce possible swelling. Also a special bird bread that has lots of nutrients in it, but she won't eat that. She is so tired and no energy, just not like herself. Could she have suffered a stroke? I'm so worried. We already lost another conure who was just 3 years old due to an accident. I cannot imagine losing another young bird. We are going according to vet instructions but I'm just wondering if anyone has anything more to offer. Thanks.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew