• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

nesting

irishpara

Moving in
Real Name
carl rafter
Hi all,
Looking for some advice on my nesting Parakeets.
my Parakeets are sitting on eggs but the problem is that they didn't use a nesting box, instead they have nested on the floor of the avary. Its a shared avary and im worried about them rejecting the eggs because they are in the open. they continue to build around the nest to help keep the eggs warm and safe. should i risk moving the eggs to a nesting box or leave weel enough alone and just let them nest and see what hapens/
its my first year keeping birds so this is my first nesting season. any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
regards
Carl

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Is it more parakeets in the aviary? Is it a male/female pair, and do you know if the eggs are fertilized? I would suggest moving them to a nesting box, but it really depends on your birds. I have one bird and I could put her eggs/babies anywhere and she would follow them, but I have another who just doesn't care enough to do that. They probably won't survive on the floor, however. Could you incubate the eggs yourself? That's probably too much work though.....But look at your birds and think about if they would accept the eggs and follow them into a nesting box. Personally, that's what I would do, but I'm sure there are people here with far better advice! Good luck and congrats on the eggs!!

irishpara

Moving in
Real Name
carl rafter
Is it more parakeets in the aviary? Is it a male/female pair, and do you know if the eggs are fertilized? I would suggest moving them to a nesting box, but it really depends on your birds. I have one bird and I could put her eggs/babies anywhere and she would follow them, but I have another who just doesn't care enough to do that. They probably won't survive on the floor, however. Could you incubate the eggs yourself? That's probably too much work though.....But look at your birds and think about if they would accept the eggs and follow them into a nesting box. Personally, that's what I would do, but I'm sure there are people here with far better advice! Good luck and congrats on the eggs!!
its just the 2 parakeets in aviary mixed with mainly finches, both are sitting on the eggs and are not to bothered when i go in to feed.
thanks for the reply much appreciated

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
This sounds like trouble waiting to happen. @Zara

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Well, breeding budgies should only happen when you are completely sure you can handle it and know exactly what to do. Second, it's not safe to keep budgies and finches in the same cage, if it's an aviary might be OK, but still risky. They should not be able to breed all year, 2 clutches per pair at most in a year is fine. I don't know too much on breeding, but I do know you need an organized way to keep track of the pairs, their babies, and who's being left out. You don't want inbreeding. You said this was your first time,.

I of course can't assume you're inexperienced or haven't done research, I don't have enough information to tell how you're handling things, but I see a few things in your situation that could be dangerous if not monitored and considered. I really hope you can find solutions and someone can help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
they didn't use a nesting box, instead they have nested on the floor
should i risk moving the eggs to a nesting box
You would have been better boiling the eggs to be sure they didn´t hatch and leaving them on the floor.
They laid them on the floor so they stay on the floor, but obviously this is not good at all for breeding, hense why I say to have boiled.
It will also teach the birds that on the floor, breeding doesn´t work, then next time maybe they will try something different.

Are you sure your boxes are big enough? Try adding a few larger boxes for next season,as well as plenty of nesting material to nest with. Try putting some facing a different direction.

Candle the eggs, if there´s no life developing inside, then boil them and put them back where you found them.

irishpara

Moving in
Real Name
carl rafter
Well, breeding budgies should only happen when you are completely sure you can handle it and know exactly what to do. Second, it's not safe to keep budgies and finches in the same cage, if it's an aviary might be OK, but still risky. They should not be able to breed all year, 2 clutches per pair at most in a year is fine. I don't know too much on breeding, but I do know you need an organized way to keep track of the pairs, their babies, and who's being left out. You don't want inbreeding. You said this was your first time,.

I of course can't assume you're inexperienced or haven't done research, I don't have enough information to tell how you're handling things, but I see a few things in your situation that could be dangerous if not monitored and considered. I really hope you can find solutions and someone can help!
If you read my original post, you will note I mentioned the Aviary and not a cage, also it says in the tread that I have only one pair of parakeets. I’m new to this but obviously I’ve looked into their breeding but not all the answers are there, so I’m looking for help and not criticism or condescending comments, thanks

irishpara

Moving in
Real Name
carl rafter
You would have been better boiling the eggs to be sure they didn´t hatch and leaving them on the floor.
They laid them on the floor so they stay on the floor, but obviously this is not good at all for breeding, hense why I say to have boiled.
It will also teach the birds that on the floor, breeding doesn´t work, then next time maybe they will try something different.

Are you sure your boxes are big enough? Try adding a few larger boxes for next season,as well as plenty of nesting material to nest with. Try putting some facing a different direction.

Candle the eggs, if there´s no life developing inside, then boil them and put them back where you found them.
Thanks Zara
I’ve covered the nesting area with a box and they now seem happy l, so I’ll leave them to see if they are settled, if not I’ll remove the eggs and boil them and hopefully next time it’ll work out better, on a positive note I’ve 6 chicks hatched in a separate aviary witch are all doing fine, just the floor nesting puzzled me

irishpara

Moving in
Real Name
carl rafter
Just an update, I’ve removed the box and the birds are sitting still, another egg has been laid, fingers crossed all works out ok, I’ll let you all know, thanks for your advice

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
another egg has been laid
If these eggs are on the floor boil them (if these are budgies, you can either remove the eggs or boil them).

If they lay eggs on the floor and then the eggs are always either taken away or never hatch( because they´re boiled) your birds will quickly learn to lay elsewhere (hopefully in a nest box)