• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nesting material

BalloonyDino

Sitting on the front steps
Hi!
My bird forest started acting weird and laid an egg, so we made her a nesting box (of cardboard) we did not candle it to know if it was fertilized or not, but she lives with one male and an undetermined maybe male lutino budgie, so it might've been. She continued to act weird so she probably lay another (it's her choice). We just happened to run out of cuttle bone at the time (though she had mineral block) so she ate the egg a few hours before we came home with cuttle bone. She is still going in and out of the nesting box. She is shredding it and refuseing to use timothy hay, shredded paper, or wheat grass for bedding. Does anyone have any (friendly) suggestions on cuttlebone?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Cuttlebone suggestions like what? I’m unsure of your question.
Cuttlebone is great for them to keep their little beaks in healthy shape but are useless for anything else.
I think you need to be more concerned about the amount of egg laying and ensuring that you are not encouraging breeding unless you’re totally prepared to hand raise and have all the equipment necessary.
@Zara @Mizzely @Ripshod @Monica @Lady Jane

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

Have you done research on raising chicks? This would be priority before allowing breeding.

As for the box, it should be a wooden box, cardboard can be chewed and break which may hurt your bird. I offer wooden boxes for my hens when I am sure they are laying a full clutch so they can incubate their dummy eggs and rest inside.
Candling eggs the day they laid is pointless, they will all look infertile. Candling is best done a week after being laid.
As Shezbug said, cuttlebone is a good grooming tool/toy, but doesn´t offer much in nutrition. If your birds are not on a healthy diet of pellets, quality seeds, and daily veggies, then again, you should wait to breed.
How old are your birds? are they a good age for breeding?

My advice for you right now would be to go and get a wooden box for your hen so she is safe.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How old are your birds?
This is ultra important, especially with Forest.
Even if the eggs turn out to be infertile do your learning now. Ask as many questions as you want here but your best teacher would be an active breeder so maybe you could find one in your local area? Has she started brooding yet (sitting on the eggs)? If she hasn't just throw them and any future eggs in the bin. Get rid of the nest box and have a massive change-around in their cage. The distraction will stop her laying for a while.
Two eggs isn't a lot so there shouldn't be any urgent need to replace the calcium. If she continues to lay you need to add more calcium to the diet. Just Google 'high calcium vegetables' and add some to her diet (cucumber is surprisingly good though others contain a lot more).
Change the photoperiod. Get them to sleep earlier by darkening the room/cage (try 14hrs darkness per day). Make sure not to disturb them.
There's a lot more to it than that, this is just a starter.

BalloonyDino

My birds are all around 5 yrs, I have researched, they have a proper diet, they do get high calcium veggies (and normal veggies).

BalloonyDino

My birds are all around 5 yrs or older, I have researched about this I wouldn't asked if found the answer somewhere else, they have a healthy diet and get high calcium veggies when they want them, and isn't cuttlebone 85% calcium?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
and get high calcium veggies when they want them
I´m not sure what this means. Be sure they are eating the fresh foods you offer daily.

they have a healthy diet
If your birds are on a healthy balanced diet then they do not need cuttlebones or supplements.

Did you manage to find a nestbox alternative? I worry about your hen in a cardboard box nest.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
and isn't cuttlebone 85% calcium?
Yes it is calcium, but in the form of Calcium Carbonate which their bodies can't process. It's really only good for grooming - honing beaks and polishing. The only other use I've thought of is as a platform perch.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Curious - I haven't seen anything that says budgies can't use calcium carbonate as a source of calcium. Everything I've read says it is needed. The only caution I've read says to be careful of mineral blocks because man-made ones may be made from plaster of paris and may contain additives that could be bad for birds. I have a cuttlebone in my birds cage but if it of no use to him I'd like to take it out. Where did you get your info so I can educate myself?

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I admit I always thought a cuttlebone was a good source of calcium as well. Where is your source for this information? Sam loves her cuttlebone.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Considering that hens usually kick out all nesting material, that's pretty normal... but if you don't have a proper nest box, i wouldn't be encouraging her to lay eggs.

Please look into a nestbox with a concave bottom, and once she has a full set of eggs, then you can consider introducing *some* nesting material. She *might* keep it then... or just toss it again.