• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nesting material and other questions

BigRedDoberman

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jim
Evening -

I just got two lovebirds, I am going to assume they are male and female, but that is more from their actions. The male - Leo - stays out of the nesting box, eats some, chirps some, eats some more. The female - Karma - has lived up to her name - she's a ***** around that box. The previous owners evidently did not spend a lot of time with them - Neither are hand tame, and Karma would rather bite you then look at you twice. I have seen 1 egg in the nesting box, which doesn't make sense if they lay an egg every other day. Moving to the new location might have delayed more eggs though. Other than feeding them, and talking to Leo, I have left them alone to settle into their new area.

I have loads of questions, but the first is do I need to risk my fingers in the cage to remove the nesting box? What kind of material do I need to put on the bottom of the cage for their nesting material? I have read about putting paper in the cage for them to shred, but what kind of paper? Printer paper? News paper?

I am going to assume they were on an all seed diet, but have since introduced millet and something besides seed.

What else am I missing?

Thanks -

Jim

Proudly owned by

Mo-jo - rescued dog
Radar - Doberman, but a baby at heart - all 100lbs of him
Karma - the name fits too
Leo - Just loves hanging out at the doughnut shop

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@fluffypoptarts and @Monica and @Happynme do you think you could offer some advice on the nest material questions and what else you might need to do.

I have started transitioning my fids to pellets by using nutri-berries and sprouts and so far it has been working to a point. They still scream at the sprouts but they do like the nutri-berries and have been eating more of the pellets from what I have been seeing in their dishes. So you might want to try going that route and fresh veggies like kale and broccoli mixed in with their pellet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Anything that can be special about these two? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Considering that one bird is a hybrid and most likely sterile, there is no point in giving them a nest box or nesting material... I would recommend removing the nest (yes, you may get bit in the process!) and any nesting material.

You can try putting paper underneath the grate to catch poops, but no need to actually provide paper as a source of nesting material.

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Anything that can be special about these two? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Considering that one bird is a hybrid and most likely sterile, there is no point in giving them a nest box or nesting material... I would recommend removing the nest (yes, you may get bit in the process!) and any nesting material.

You can try putting paper underneath the grate to catch poops, but no need to actually provide paper as a source of nesting material.
Id say this would be my answer. If you just want to let them have unfertile clutches (eggs that won't hatch) then that's up to you but personally i would yank it all. Id only provide a nest/materials If the female just miserable and otherwise wouldnt relax and enjoy being a bird. You wont know how shell do till you yank it all. Ps a small Tupperware dish you can safely stick over her while removing nest is a good way to preserve your fingers. Lol
But make sure there is air holes and just long enough to grab nest

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would remove the box and nesting material as well. If the female starts plucking, you can hang up some Seagrass mats for her to shred (harder than paper and more distracting). But only if she is distressed.

Do they have plenty of chewable/destroyable toys?

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
I have two words for you. Phone book! Best chew toys EVER. I cut mine into strips, so one book can last a few days. Try clipping fresh greens to the side of their cage with a clothespin. It's how I got mine started on greens, they shredded them first then decided they where edible!