• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nesting box

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hey,
I got this coconut for Chip & Nuka just for fun but ended up liking it alot the to sleep in. Only problem is that the coconut is too small for them both. Would it do harm to attach a nesting box to the cage? Or should I just leave it like this. IMG_20191109_102545_100.jpg

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Kira! I'm not sure how 2 boys would react to a nest. Would they would get more territorial? I hope you get some good advice.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hi Kira! I'm not sure how 2 boys would react to a nest. Would they would get more territorial? I hope you get some good advice.
Not sure what their gender is

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What about a second coconut?

Be sure to monitor how they are with the coconut, if they protect it, nest in it or fight over it, then remove it.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
If you want to be sure of their sex, it is a simple and inexpensive task. You print off the sheet that you tape a few belly feather to, and mail it with a check. I have done this for six conures. The website is IQBIRDTESTING.COM

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure what their gender is
Oh, I went back through your posts and saw you refer to both as "he" so I thought you knew. Well since you aren't sure and may actually have a boy and a girl, I would not hang a nest if you don't want babies. I do think it would make a girl nesty.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Linnies are typically fairly easy to distinguish. My boys have a lot more black than @Dona 's Gigi.

I have two bonded male linnies who are housed together and they have a hut. Today they got into an argument in there... And have been bickering since. They've usually been fine as long as both ends are open so it's not like a cave. So I'd hesitate to give them a nesting box.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
But I think I see one of the mutations that doesn't have the stripes? In which case dna sexing for sure. I think I recall you live in the Netherlands? @Momo & Mido is in NL, too, she may have some advice for dna sexing there.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
But I think I see one of the mutations that doesn't have the stripes? In which case dna sexing for sure. I think I recall you live in the Netherlands? @Momo & Mido is in NL, too, she may have some advice for dna sexing there.
I can definitely give you some advice @kiertje. You can send me a private message and I can tell you how and where I did it.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I posted this article in behavior, but maybe you would want to read it. It's about the cons of cavity seeking.

After reading it I have decided to remove Gigi's hidey spot under the sofa arm cover. It is fun to watch her joyfully play there but she vigorously defends the area so I know she views it as a potential nest. If my hands are too close she could lunge and shriek. They say that Linnies in particular like to burrow, but I've decided I will not be giving Gigi's any opportunities to get into any dark and small places.

Last edited: