• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nest Boxes

Trey

Moving in
Real Name
Niel
Hi,

I was wondering what types ?? & sizes ?? of nest boxes are fellow breeders using for the breeding African greys.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I believe that @BrianB breeds them, but I am unaware of any other members who do.

Trey

Moving in
Real Name
Niel
Hi, I thought to check with other member breeders as I tried to search for previous posts for this and didn't find any, hence started a post too see as best what's the advise out there.
There is a varied school of thought as different breeders have had success with different types of boxes, as I am in the process of installing some boxes for my AG pairs.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My most successful pair have a grandfather clock-style nest box. It's square but deep. Another pair has a large square box that's really made for small macaws. She lays but they aren't fertile. I will replace them all with the grandfather-style box and see if that helps the other pairs be more productive. Some people use the boot-style box, or the Z box, but the grandfather clock nest box seems to work best from what I've read by other breeders.

Trey

Moving in
Real Name
Niel
Hi Brian,
Thank you for that, Is there a picture that you can share if that's not to much of an issue and also the dimensions maybe.
Never heard of the grandfather type box as yet down my way ....but we learn every day, and I get the idea of what it may look like.
the breeders here use the L shape boot box of varied dimensions, and the rectangular long box with a shelf for the male to sit on and feed the female .

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Hi Brian,
Thank you for that, Is there a picture that you can share if that's not to much of an issue and also the dimensions maybe.
Never heard of the grandfather type box as yet down my way ....but we learn every day, and I get the idea of what it may look like.
the breeders here use the L shape boot box of varied dimensions, and the rectangular long box with a shelf for the male to sit on and feed the female .
This is a link to one so that you can see what they look like: Grandfather Box Large .

Trey

Moving in
Real Name
Niel
These are the 2 most common types that breeders use down my way .

1674713922480.png the "L " shape - Boot box as it is commonly known was used a lot in the old days with much success, but of recent years they are not used as much, a lot could be due to the cost etc. 1674714187709.png
This box is a rectangular box approx sizes - 24" x 16" x 16" with a shelf just inside the entrance hole for the male to sit and feed the female