• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nervous Babygirl

scirensnow

Sitting on the front steps
Hello there! I have three budgies total. Two who are clearly male (dark blue ceres) that are around 9-10 months old. And one sweet little budgie who I only yesterday found out was a girl (she has developed a brown and crusty cere) who is just a few months younger than the boys. Initially, I was unsure on her gender so I had all my budgies in my big cage together. They seemed to get along really well, in fact I figured she was a boy because of his/her pink cere when I first got her. Obviously, I have learned of my error and feel absolutely horrible. I knew I had to separate them just so no fighting happens between the boys over her. Yesterday I got her her very own cage with some toys and moved her to the new cage. My question is, what can I do to make her more comfortable? She is breathing very rapidly and that worries me! After awhile today when I uncovered her she did finally interact with some of her toys and perches and that made me feel better. She also ate a good amount of spray millet. I just want to do what’s right for her. I know she misses her friends and hopefully someday once she is “tamed” I can potentially let them out together but I’m just hoping for some ideas to make her more at ease. I definitely don’t want her in any kind of pain or hurt. :( I attached some photos of her and her cage just in case you guys have any ideas. Thank you for all you do!! image.jpg

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
A few questions. How long were they together in the same cage? Was there any obvious fighting? Not saying once they are all mature there won't be but is there any now? How old is your little female? 9-10 months is still young. Pulling her away simply because she is female may be premature. 3 birds aren't the best number but it isn't always a recipe for disaster. Maybe wait a bit before you punish your female by removing her?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d give her millet & make sure she has a clear line of sight to the boys. Maybe she’s concerned about them. Give the boys millet too. They’re likely confused too.

scirensnow

A few questions. How long were they together in the same cage? Was there any obvious fighting? Not saying once they are all mature there won't be but is there any now? How old is your little female? 9-10 months is still young. Pulling her away simply because she is female may be premature. 3 birds aren't the best number but it isn't always a recipe for disaster. Maybe wait a bit before you punish your female by removing her?
Good question and something I didn’t mention. They were in the cage together for about 2 months and in the past 2 weeks or so I have noticed a steady increase in tension in the cage ESPECIALLY between the boys. One would try to preen her and the other would try to scrap. Like I said it started slowly but once I pinpointed she was a girl and they were actively fighting over her I had a feeling they would need to be separated even if just until I figure out the best option.. I’m hoping for advice on that too.. I have always read that it can be a bad idea to have different genders in the same cage especially if they are mature? I’ve been hoping to get another budgie at some point to add to the flock, would that help the situation at all? If so does it matter if that new budgie is male or female? I just don’t want any eggs because I don’t have the capability for that haha!

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
If so does it matter if that new budgie is male or female? I just don’t want any eggs because I don’t have the capability for that haha!
Another female budgie would help the tension. However if you get a very young female budgie then a bit of fighting may be present but not to the point of separating them. Eggs may or may not be a problem but you can deal with them if they do occur. You don't need to deal with babies if you aren't equipped to. I think given the young age of your budgies that eggs may be a long way off. It is most important that you deal with any squabbles by separation but I think you may be fine.

scirensnow

Another female budgie would help the tension. However if you get a very young female budgie then a bit of fighting may be present but not to the point of separating them. Eggs may or may not be a problem but you can deal with them if they do occur. You don't need to deal with babies if you aren't equipped to. I think given the young age of your budgies that eggs may be a long way off. It is most important that you deal with any squabbles by separation but I think you may be fine.
WHEW!! I am so glad to hear that. I knew that I could deal with the eggs if need be but also didn’t want to worry about heightened hormones or something as well. I feel good about putting her back in first thing tomorrow and I’ll plan on looking for a female budgie to add. Thank you for your help!