• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Neomycin and polymyxin b sulfates and dexamethasone ophthalic

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
I’m my budgie has some red on his eyelid the vet prescribed the medicine I have listed on the top . But vet rx says don’t use this in birds , they said use one drop 3x a day. Has anyone ever used this stuff ?

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Yes I have heard of these being used. They are prescribed for conjuctivitis. It is a basic catch all for bacterial infections of the eye. Often however conjuctivitis is a sign of other problems. How is your birds breathing? After 14 days your bird should be re examined. Should this reoccur or not be alleviated by the above prescribed medications, it's time to look deeper. Hopefully that won't be necessary.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
hi I went in a vet forum and I also called my other avian vet and was told this medicine should not be given to birds due to the dexamethasone, this is a steroid and they can be sensitive to it..
The red around his eye lid is almost completely gone, it’s only been a day and I didn’t give him the meds,, so I believe it’s from his rubbing his face due to molting, he breathing is fine

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
I did find some writings on neomycin polymycin b. And gramicidin working well and being safe (triple antibiotic)