• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nekton Lorikeet food

Lorimadnes

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
nty
Finally managed to source some powder food for my Lori. Got robbed blind with shipping costs but hey, if it keeps my bird happy and healthy, it's money well spent. Problem is that my bird doesn't seem to like it lmao. Not sure if it's just a phase (he always dislikes new food the first few days) or if it's going to be a recurring thing.

I do have a couple of questions to the people that use this brand of food though. The instructions say to use 10grams of the stuff with a 100 mill of water. When I did that, it looked very watery to me. To the point that the powder looks and smells better than the stuff mixed with water. I also notice that it tends to settle in the bottom, so by the time 30 minutes pass, the top of the bowl has mostly just water with all the powder turned goop at the bottom. Should I try to lessen the amount of water? What am I doing wrong? My lorikeet only eats apples and grapes, which I guess is a rich man's meal compared to the seed mix the breeder had him on. I would love for him to have a more balanced diet.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Reshah

Meeting neighbors
I have no comment on the food but you can buy it direct from morning bird with free shipping. That might be for US only.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you reach out to the manufacturer? They may be able to give some guidance too

Karija

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I've used both Nekton Lori and Nekton Plus. They both behave a little bit differently when they are mixed and how they act when they go bad. I'm assuming you're using Nekton Lori because you mentioned 10g to 100mls.
-It is supposed to liquid when mixed and is not meant to be fed as a dry powder.
-I use warm tap water (company says use water that is 30C/86F). The Lori powder tends to clump up, so you have to smush the powder to get it to dissolve. It takes some good stirring, but it should all dissolve and the liquid will be opaque when it is mixed/incorporated.
-It does form a sort of thick sediment after it sits for a while. The issue is really if it gets foamy, needs to be swapped.
-Nectar does need to be changed during the day. I normally change in the middle of the day, so I put some out at 7am and then again around 3pm. He also has access to fruit/veg.

My understanding from the company's literature is the sediment that forms is intentional. The lorikeets use their tongue to get the sediment, and the liquid keeps their beaks clean so there isn't fungus growth. Nekton sells some sort of food bowl disinfectant that they say if reduces bacteria growth and the nectar will last longer (a day) if the food dishes are properly disinfected between uses. I've never tried/used that.

I use both for some variety, but I prefer the Nekton Plus - it's easier to mix (no clumping) and lasts longer (use it if I'm not able to swap it out in the middle of the day, gets a sediment when it isn't fresh but it doesn't go sour the same way the Lori does). My goldie's lorikeet definitely goes whole hog on the nectar when it is fresh/warm, but he goes to it all day so it doesn't seem to impact his interest in it at all.

Hope that helps!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!